The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
KLabs

by KLabs

Hi Eric, those tests were to a static wheel not a dynamic wheel (while riding) and also it was a 36 spoke wheel where the NDS tension was probably >44% and probably more like 70/80% ...
Statically there can be no difference (according to Applied Mechanics) and as such I would not call that a valid test.

I thought that I would ask and it would be an interesting discussion for low NDS spoke tension (ie 44%) :)

Hi bm0p700f, as you have said NDS spoke tension can be improved a little with 2xDS 3xNDS and also various combinations of rim depth, DS spoke flange dia, no of spokes, and spoke lacings can improve the DS/NDS ratio and wheel strength/stiffness.

Winterrider and I are looking for low spoke count alternatives to a 16:8/2:1 24H lacing that are more robust and looks like a good option for good DS/NDS tension ratio...
- 32H hub, 28H rim, 16:12, 2/3xDS, 3xNDS, 120:80kgf ???
- 36H hub, 28H rim, 18:10, 2/3xDS, 0xNDS, 120:90-100kgf ???
- hopefully more to come :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jbf

by jbf

I've built 15-20 wheels but have lost count. You guys are really overthinking this, BUT i am loving this discussion. Some of it seems a little ridiculous but I figure the more I learn on wheel dynamics the better my next wheel will be.

HakeemT

by HakeemT

Spoke and lacing pattern question here:

I've got a set of Chris King R45's (28 hole front, 32 hole rear) and a pair of Ambrosio Excellight rims (28 and 32 hole, duh...) that are eagerly anticipating to be built up into a set of 'do it all' wheels.

75kg (165lbs) rider, wheels will see the odd dirt road in training but will also be used for crits and road races.
As the starting point (hubs and rims) aren't the lightest it makes no sense to me (and the rider) to use cx-ray's or similar 'aerodynamic + lightweight' spokes, and as these will be mated to a 'classic' looking bike I was thinking of going the tried and true Sapim Race (or DT Competition, depending on which are easier to get). Am happy to explore Sapim Laser's if the consensus here is that the wheel will be significantly stiffer; the 100grams or so weight savings are not too important for this wheelset.

Regarding lacing patterns I was thinking 2x front, 3x rear all around.

Any thoughts?

KLabs

by KLabs

jbf wrote:I've built 15-20 wheels but have lost count. You guys are really overthinking this, BUT i am loving this discussion. Some of it seems a little ridiculous but I figure the more I learn on wheel dynamics the better my next wheel will be.

jbf wrote:My current training wheels are Velocity Aerohead OC 32H rear and Stans 1st generation 28H front on Campy 9-10-11 hubs. My next build will be Velocity A23 OC 28H rear and 20 or 24H Stans 340 front. Given the move to 11-speed OC rims are the way to go. Rims do not need to match, mix and match for your needs.

Hi jbf, it appears you really like the Velocity Aerohead OC 32H rear rim ... have you ever had any issues of cracking occurring with this rim?

What have you built to date and what are your experiences to date ... thanks :)

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@Hakeem- There really won't be a huge difference between Lasers and Races, or Comps for that matter. With that said, go with whatevers easiest to get. For lacing, 3x rear both sides is a good option. I would recommend going 3x both sides up front as well.

eric

by eric

Wouldn't 3x for the 28h front have the spokes close to the heads of other spokes? Especially considering that the front hub flange diameter is small. I usually do 2x for the 28h rears I have been building.

Lasers are thinner than Race and weigh about 1g less. They will make the wheels, especially the rear, a bit less laterally stiff. They wind up more when building the wheels. I like using them for the NDS since the spokes have to stretch more to reach a given tension, so they are less likely to become completely detensioned and eventually break. If you don't break NDS spokes then this may not be a concern for you.

If I am doing Lasers for the NDS I use them for the front too.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I tend to build most front wheels for race type bikes with Laser spokes on the front, that for CX-rays. Race spokes are only needed when there is a very heavy rider (100kg+) and in that case a 32 spoke front wheel will be picked. I also lace 28 spoke front wheels 2x, it is slightly stiffer than 3x and every little bit helps.

For a 32 spoke rear 3x is best but if a 28 spoke rear wheel I agree with Eric that 2x lacing is still fine. 3x lacing imporves tortional stiffness bt if the wheel is laced 2x I challange to get any wind up. With 2x lacing tortional stiffnes is enough and that all that is needed. Also if you are light enough consider lacing both side with laser spokes. I tend to lace 28 spoke rear 2x because I am often using light rims for such wheels and laser spokes allround so the small lateral stiffness increase for 2x lacing helps a bit.

However lacing a 28 spoke rear 3x doesn't hurt either, I just think it does not look right.

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi all, no that there seems to be a forum within a forum I tought that I would ask this question here also ... thanks :)

Just wondering what you would consider is the best Hub Ratchet and Freehub Pawl grease that you use or recommend

WinterRider

by WinterRider

jbf wrote: the more I learn on wheel dynamics the better my next wheel will be.

That.. is the rationale behind analyzing all components of a wheel build. The sum of all of the build determines it's life span.

Then.. consider the heavy use wheel... a heavy load. Going 10,000 miles without breaking spokes.

How heavy does one have to go to accomplish that? Mostly this is recreational pursuit for me... yet lighter wheels.. just go... faster.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

eric wrote: I did find a post from Jobst about static lateral stiffness with tied & soldered spokes where he found no difference:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/whee ... ldered.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMO.. not a real world test. I don't see computer's riding bikes in my neighborhood either. Hook your computer sensors to a bike being ridden.. that would be real data.

I am not advocating tying spokes. I suspect the effect is marginal at best. Yet the 'book' that advocated tying stated doing so eliminated brake pad rubbing while sprinting. Back then the rim's being employed weren't as stiff as today's.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I think winter rider you do not see the validity of models. Many simple models can model reality very well. You may not see that but I think Josh brandt test to model what is happening in a tied and soldered wheel quite well. After all al brandt was looking at was whether tieing spokes improved lateral and tortional stiffness. If both of these did not change it is fair to sumerise that radial stiffness did not change either, after all the three types of stiffness are all related. If the radial stiffnes does not change then the ammont of spoke slap you were refering to cannot be altered.

It is a shame he did not present his data.

His test resolved that and that is case in the wheel on the road.

Maybe condct the tests you want done but I don't think you'll find anything. The best way to analayise a wheel is with FE anaysis anyway and that require a computor.

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi bm0p700f, how does that test reflect Torque effects ... thanks :)

WinterRider

by WinterRider

bm0p700f wrote: The best way to analayise a wheel is with FE anaysis anyway and that require a computor.

That's cool. :beerchug:

But.. not in my world. :thumbup:

I'll continue to build and test my own ideas.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

tortional stiffnes was testsed but not data given. Tortional stiffness reflects torque effects in combination with lateral stiffnes. If these really did not change when spokes are tied and soldered then it has no effect. I can believe the results even if there is no data as it seems reasnable. Data would be nice though. Maybe it is published somewhere.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WinterRider

by WinterRider

KLabs wrote: Hi WinterRider, you know what you could try ... how about a 32H hub (of your choice) done as a 28H rim 16:12 3xDS and the NDS well (minus 4 spokes) could be done in a few different ways and even mixes (like radial mixed with 2x) :)

What do you think :)

I ran thjs scenario this morning using the measurements from a Shimano 5500... NDS tension would be 100 kgf given DS at 120.

Might.. be worth a looksee.