I'm not getting the Garmin

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

did I really just waste 5 minutes reading this guy complaining to himself..........boooooring
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

I too find them pretty uninspiring for the price they charge, but I put that down to nothing more than they can get away with it, they have the market cornered.

I can see Google Glass being built in to Oakley frames eventually; maybe that will spur Garmin to innovate.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The rent's too damn high.

:lol:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

tinozee

by tinozee

I love my garmins for their reliability and accurate data, but I think they could be way further along with the display and UI.

I also think it's necessary to be critical. It's product fanbois that cloud the water and delay progress. Especially as there is nothing to challenge Garmin and push them to improve it. I think an iPhone nano or shuffle sized could really kill devices like the garmin.

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

Given you had no idea about the significance of Belgium, it's not surprise you've no idea how to operate a Garmin.

Northoceanbeach wrote:1. I'm not trying to complain,

Yet you started a thread, slating it, and have carried on doing so. But all in the name of 'learning more'?

Right...
Last edited by MarkTwain on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Liggero

by Liggero

I have an Edge 500, 189$ shipped, in ebay. I have zero complaints. Simple, light, firmware is updated every now and then, so they care about it. Much better than polar, and cheaper. Ant+ accesories. Available in different colours, third party far front mounts...

I think you have been ripped off. 650$ for a ciclocomputer sounds quite wrong.
Happy Trails !!!

djconnel

by djconnel

mattr wrote:If you don't need these features, don't buy an 800. Buy a map and compass instead.

:lol:

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

Well tomorrow I'll start a thread about how I love my keo blades.

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

Northoceanbeach wrote:1. I'm not trying to complain,...

3. This is the appropriate forum. Why go to garmin site over a non affiliated site if I want objective information. ...

Maybe because if you bothered, you'd find many more people there slagging them rather than singing it's praises...on the other hand, if you wanted "objective information"...why would you go to any interwebs forum?

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

I think it's the title. I meant it to mean.

"I'm having trouble understanding this devices' full potential"

Like I don't "get" this thing.

But upon looking at it again, it seems to say, I'm not getting the garmin, as in I'm not going to get myself a garmin.

I fully believe that garmin makes great gps devices for sailboats for all budgets. My friends cheap ish handheld was quite accurate to alert us when we approached shallow parts of the reef and buoys. I appreciate the fact that they support a race team. My verdict is still out on their cycling products, although my initial impression is that it's screen is outdated and I hope to discover it makes up for this by having a strong signal even in remote areas, being ruggedly built to withstand cycling conditions my iphone would not, and a lot of useful features. I'll know more soon.

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

Finding out yourself if good. But someone else suggested (in the 810 thread) reading DC Rainmaker for his review of the product.

If you didn't already read it (or could not understand it) then seems that in depth product understanding is not your strong point.

Like was said, they are not perfect. But they are the industry leader in cycling for a good reason.

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

MarkTwain wrote:Finding out yourself if good. But someone else suggested (in the 810 thread) reading DC Rainmaker for his review of the product.

If you didn't already read it (or could not understand it) then seems that in depth product understanding is not your strong point.

Like was said, they are not perfect. But they are the industry leader in cycling for a good reason.

Not my strong point? Man what is your problem with me?

BobSantini

by BobSantini

I wouldn't get one either. You can't get a civil response out of their users. They appear to be pissed but they don't say why. Maybe they're just a surly bunch :lol:
r o y g b i v

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

BobSantini wrote:You can't get a civil response out of their users. They appear to be pissed but they don't say why. Maybe they're just a surly bunch :lol:

But fortunately, the OP is a shining example and the opposite of all of this.

Oh, wait.

The issue was expressed in a post on page one. And you've shown you clearly don't read up (again, as seen with your Belgium thread) or take some time to appreciate what a product can and can not do before getting on the internet to run it down.

I'll all for people asking to get a better idea. But not sprouting misinformation like you are.

brettmess24

by brettmess24

The problem is no competition.

I too would like a gps for some long country rides but the cost of admission and all the problems with the Garmin keep me from purchasing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com