Question About Super Tall Flange Front Hub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

(I posted this in the wheelbuilding thread and got no takers so I thought I'd try my own thread.)

The question: is the Bontrager FCC (Fisher Control Column) front hub worth building into anything decent? That is the 20 hole front hub with the super tall flanges and 25 mm clamping area. I ask because I would like to replace the originally specc'd Bontrager Race rim with something 23 mm wide (Archetype or maybe the Kinlin 279 - whichever is stronger). I was wondering if the hub quality was worth the effort.

Also any spoke suggestions? The spokes the wheel comes with are big steel bladed, no idea of brand. I was thinking DT Comps might work. I weigh approx 190 lbs and the current build on the Bonty rim seems to hold me just fine.

Here is a pic:http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/article/trek-gary-fisher-collection-cronus-cx-first-look-28907/7/"%20onclick="window.open(this.href)
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I think the bontrager FCC hubs have a custom flange width and diameter that only fits the Gary fisher bikes they came with. If you have one of these forks that can accommodate a FCC hub, then there may be some stiffness benefit in using these hubs. If you do not have a Gary fisher bike with a FCC, fork, the hub will not fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I do have a Trek Cronus - simply the best fender bike for winter riding in Pacific North West. That hub will fit a variety of other forks (but not all) but that is not my issue. I was more curious what people thought of the design and overall quality and if it was worth building with a decent rim.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

it's interesting why the spoke hole spacing is not equal. this hub seems like a compromise between standard radial spoking, and bontrager-style paired spoking. what would be the design advantage of that spoke head placement?

as for quality, i've never actually seen this hub.
from the photo it does not appear to be of a quality like King, Tune, Extralite, etc. but then again, inside it might have some secret super-cooled magnetic bearings with no friction at all.