New Photon series from Guru

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

boolinwall

by boolinwall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... HzLwucaLsc
As stated. Three new Photons coming from Guru. I'll personally only ride Guru bikes, so I'm a tad biased. But I think they're pretty hot.

boolinwall

by boolinwall

Hopefully Josh and the boys don't mind me posting this on here. It's on their facebook page if you want a better look and more details.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NGMN

by NGMN

I just can't get past my hate for the series of videos where they're sitting around eating food and talking bikes. Just the absolute worst marketing I've ever seen. I'd be hard pressed to support ny company that makes poo like this:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=rela ... 2SWQmkkv6o

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I can see how a bad video could effect the way a bike rides. Your reasoning is logical.lol (I'm kidding of course)

NGMN

by NGMN

I guess my reasoning is, there is no shortage of good bikes out there. Why support a company that comes off as a bunch of tools?

Not to mention, it seemed that most Photon frames were way heavier than claimed:
http://www.cyclingtechblog.com/2010/04/ ... s-reality/

There is enough B.S. in the bike industry, not supporting companies that are the biggest proponents of it is one way to reduce it. Just as I was writing this I remember when Guru was getting flack for their bikes being unaerodynamic and the first thing they didn't do was own up to it. They instead took their bike and a P3 to the wind tunnel and made up some story about how the rider on the P3 was too uncomfortable and therefore moved around and that with that movement their bike was faster. F me its ridiculous.

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I do see your point and respect it. In all likelihood, their 901 isn't likely as aero as a P3. However, the fact that you can get it in custom geometry would offset that difference for a lot of people. Ask Cervelo to do custom geo on a bike.
Like anything, it's all in what you value most. And no two people are going to see the exact same value in different things.
You're also right in saying that there are a lot of good options out there. It's hard to imagine going wrong with any really good brand.

ninjanoir78

by ninjanoir78

The guru's rep told that the new photon is there cause cannondale bought their guru fitting technology.... so $$$$$$$ ;-)

sent from my galaxy SIII
Ninja

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I can't imagine that the R&D on these bikes came cheap. That having been said, these bikes have been 2 years in development. Long before the Cannondale deal was in place. Although I'm sure the extra cash flow didn't hurt in bringing it to final production.

djconnel

by djconnel

Cool! They ditched the ISP, it seems, which is a welcome change. I wonder if they increased the epoxy content: Crumpton said here he thought the photon would be too brittle, and indeed, we started reading about them breaking here.

No mass number in the video: just "incredibly light".

I admit when I saw the old Photon I was very tempted: custom geometry at around $4.5k, the price of some stock frames. And it looked really, really good. But I think it's fair to say it fell short of expectations.

BTW, I should add that when I saw the light Crumpton @ NAHBS I was very impressed. Versus Photon 1.0 that was clearly the better choice.

gn1tmac

by gn1tmac

NGMN wrote:Not to mention, it seemed that most Photon frames were way heavier than claimed

eric

by eric

801g is not bad but not if it's a 52 and Guru said it would be 650g.

The video is content free marketing bulldada.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

mrglibb, do you also happen to have a Trek? If so, that would be an incredible coincidence - you and this guy artray (perhaps you've heard of him?) both having Gurus and Treks. Have you ever dabbled with Ultremos?

spartan

by spartan

http://www.gurucycles.com/photon-series

they claim 670gm for the ultralight in 54cm frame. price is outrageous...8500 :unbelievable:
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com