A new secondhand Cannondale frame (did it again)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Rumsas

by Rumsas

I have always wanted one of those clear coated 6 13 bikes that Lampre used back in the day. So i bought a secondhand frame a while ago.
My plan is to build it up with Campagnolo SR, so i found a older gruppo with the white logo's (I think that would look perfect)
But i just don't know witch bar/stem/seatpost to use (ideas appreciated)
The wheels are not build yet, but they are gonna be so cool.

When i got the frame i ran in to a big problem. Probably bad research from my part. But i found out that the clear coated 6 13 and some of the System six frames has issues with corrosion. And of course mine had to :cry:

At first i would have build the bike like it was, with corrosion and everything. But inside my head i knew i was never gonna be happy with that.
So i decided to strip of the clear coat, and get rid of the awful corrosion.

Here are some pictures

It has been a lot of hard work, but now i am almost done, and ready to paint it, so it can be like new again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Timo

by Timo

Rumsas wrote:I have always wanted one of those clear coated 6 13 bikes that Lampre used back in the day. So i bought a secondhand frame a while ago.

Shouldn't that be Saeco? ;) That, said, I envy you, that frame is one of my alltime favourites! :thumbup:
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

Great find! I had the same frame in a 57cm which I sold it was a bit too small. I had the same corrosion you had, good work there. Im still looking for another one they are excellent frames.

Rumsas

by Rumsas

@Timo Ohh yeah, actually i think that both saeco and Lampre rode that one :D

@yeagermeister I sure hope it rides as good as people say. And please send pics, There ain't to many around :beerchug:

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Rumsas, I am very happy for you! I know exactly how you feel getting the frame you alwyas wanted!!! :thumbup:
Which wheels will you put on?

Looking forward to that classic-pro build!!!!!

Rumsas

by Rumsas

@majklnajt Thanks guy :thumbup:
I actually just got the last parts for my new wheels today
It's gonna be Zipp rims/tune mig mag/black sapim cx-ray
Don't know if i shall put on some decals, but i don't really think so

LD001

by LD001

Looking forward on this one. This is how mine was looking:

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Zipp rims, nice!!
Maybe build it alltogether first and then see what decals to put on or just leave them all black. Or tan sidewalls? ;)

Rumsas

by Rumsas

Uhh thats a nice one @LD001. I like the silver wheels.

And good idea majklnajt, build it first, and then decide about stickers. do you have any ideas about the stem/bar/seatpost combo?
I really like this all black look on @masters324, but the weird seatpost not so much

12x23

by 12x23

I have two, one Lampre Caffita and one like LD001's, with Record 10. I have very minor crazing, really not even noticeable on one at one of the carbon/aluminum bonds. I have a few bikes and these are my favorite.

Still could kick myself for not buying one of those System 6's with that natural aluminum/carbon finish ,,,

paddyrider

by paddyrider

Oh wow, nice one. Looking at your photos the bubbling/crazing didn't look to bad but hats off for having the guts to fix it yourself. You might remember I have one as well and it's paint is getting real bad. I am thinking of having it professionally re-done and maybe even using the Italia Battaglia special edition colours - a bit naughty but it would prevent the paint bubbling up again in the future.Image

Anyway, congrats on getting your dream frame, I look forward to its progress and seeing you enjoy it.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

majklnajt

by majklnajt

What about "3T stealth" components?
Dont know if 6 degree stem angle would visually suit you... and the price for the handlebar is also not very low... But you could paint the cheaper PRO into the stealth version.
If I remember, you ride shallow bars, right?

Dimitri

by Dimitri

-6* does look a bit funny, i have one on my caad 7 and definitely have plans to change it.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

paddyrider wrote:I am thinking of having it professionally re-done and maybe even using the Italia Battaglia special edition colours Image

I saw the Italia edition in real life at a bike show years ago. It was even more extreme than this one with a red chain and some other very cool gimmicks. I believe an Italian company did the paint scheme, but I can't remember their name right now. They also did other team paint jobs for Cannondale sponsored team, like the Spider paint scheme. It's all airbrush.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Dimitri wrote:-6* does look a bit funny, i have one on my caad 7 and definitely have plans to change it.

Or, paint an Easton 10 degree stem into 3T stealth :thumbup:

edit: or paint the -17 3T stem into "stealth".... if you can ride that drop.... or leave more spacers....
I find 2 cm of spacers reasonable looking...