Clincher: ZIPP 202 FC vs Bontrager Aeolus 3 D3. Stiffness?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RedRacer

by RedRacer

I am ready to buy a new set of carbon clinchers and after lots of research have pretty much narrowed it down to these two.

Bontrager Aeolus 3 D3 (1440g 35mm)
ZIPP 202 FC (1375g 32mm)

The ENVE 3.4 carbon rims laced to some nice, light hub were also a consideration but at ~50% more money I just don't see much value there. Am I wrong?

Can anyone comment on which of these wheel sets will be the stiffest? I value stiffness/power transfer over aero for my intended use.

:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NealH

by NealH

Not sure why you need carbon but both those are likely very good wheels. They both seem to be well regarded. I don't really trust either as an everyday wheel....but I mostly ride the mountains. On flatter terrain I would probably be Ok with carbon as my only wheels. The Enve's are poor value.

RedRacer

by RedRacer

No other comments?

I am really trying to find out which of these two wheels offers more lateral stiffness. I know that Tour magazines tests for deflection but I don't think they have tested either wheel.

Thoughts?

Sisbud

by Sisbud

The zipp 202 FC seems plenty stiff to me. I am 190 lbs and those wheels still perform superbly when i am out of the saddle.

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

IMHO if you are looking for stiffness the Enve system laced to CK Hubs is probably your best option. Second to that I would put Zipp but their hubs are not the best for building a stiff wheel

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

I think they are both very similar wheels. I know it's hard to pick between the two. Ones a little better at this angle ones a little better at that. Theyre both stuff. I say same.

I have Aeolus. I have tried zipps.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Not exactly the same but RIDE magazine did a wheel test. 404 front 808 rear vs aeolus D3 5. The D3 deflected around 5mm laterally at the rear with a 20kg lateral load, barely more than the CCU or Lightweight standard. The 808 rear was around 8mm deflection. Now people will say something like deflection is good as it means the opposite end of the wheel to the road isn't deflecting or whatever. But those are the figures. Now an 808 is deeper so should be stiffer BUT it is 20 vs 24 spokes for the 202. So rear into it what you will. I would think the bontrager would be stiffer though.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ultyguy

by ultyguy

NiFTY wrote:Not exactly the same but RIDE magazine did a wheel test. 404 front 808 rear vs aeolus D3 5. The D3 deflected around 5mm laterally at the rear with a 20kg lateral load, barely more than the CCU or Lightweight standard. The 808 rear was around 8mm deflection. Now people will say something like deflection is good as it means the opposite end of the wheel to the road isn't deflecting or whatever. But those are the figures. Now an 808 is deeper so should be stiffer BUT it is 20 vs 24 spokes for the 202. So rear into it what you will. I would think the bontrager would be stiffer though.

Any more colour on this? Specifically on the D3 5 as I'm looking closely at getting a pair but seriously concerned about deflection as pretty much every rear wheel I've tried apart from a 32 spoke alu touches the brake pads on me.

I also know that wheel deflection is a complicated game...
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Debunkin ... _3449.html

A 'tall' stiff rim is always going to want to deflect more...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com