2013 NAHBS

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

djconnel

by djconnel

Great interview of Don Walker, founder of the show, on VeloNews.

fa63

by fa63

But he says weight weenies are missing the point:

"What are they missing? I think they’re missing the point. Let me explain. They keep on thinking that lighter equals better. And that’s not always the case. A light bike can ride like shit. As Roland Della Santa says, somebody asks how much one of your bikes weighs. And he says, “well, what are you going to do? Are you going to weigh it or are you going to ride it?” So many people are just missing the point."

:D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Hmmm, same philosophy that Colnago goes by.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Ignorance of diversity in interests within an endeavor or larger field makes for poor leadership, which leads to an ephemeral product or production.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

fa63 wrote: “well, what are you going to do? Are you going to weigh it or are you going to ride it?”

:D

Both, obviously. :noidea:

djconnel

by djconnel

English's time trial bike, photo from James Huang (Bike Radar/CyclingNews):

NealH

by NealH

At 62, I certainly came from the steel-is-real camp. But once I was fitted on a quality carbon bike (SL3 Tarmac in my case), I'll never go back to steel. The utter composure when descending in the 50+ mph range is something that continues to elude every steel bike I've ridden. And people can argue till the cows come home about any performance disadvantage of BB flex, but I hate it and will never again own a bike that exhibits it. A steel bike no doubt can be built for my set of preferences, but why do it when I can have a bike fulfilling all my preferences in a much lighter weight package.

hansonator69

by hansonator69

The latest English TT bike is stunning. I wonder if those narrow profile tubes are possible with carbon fibre... ultimate WW TT bike anyone? :twisted:
Slam your stem.

limba

by limba

A lot of those handbuilt steel bikes LOOK incredible but I don't believe the whole steel is real thing. I haven't ridden any uber expensive high end steel frames but I have ridden some decent stuff. My steel and cross bikes didn't ride any better than my scandium frames and were noticeably heavier. There's no way I'd ride a frame that weighs two pounds more than something similar but made from another material.

ticou

by ticou

I disagree. Handbuilt always stays in the estimation longer than molds. My steel isn't heavy, should see me out of cycling,and is a do everything go anywhere bike as well. Modern steels do not betray flex, and ride superbly. But I'm not 20, and me hero's rode steel as well.

I don't want the neurosis of bashing a carbon frame against the steel bike rack at the local supermarket, or coming off at speed around an icy/greasy corner. My steel descends a mountain pass like an afternoon nap as well. Mind you I like the Infinto, with it's kevlar and nanotech reinforcements, and I've put a lot of carbon on my steel which keeps the weight down.

djconnel

by djconnel

My Ritchey Breakaway rides fine. When I ride my Fuji, I like the Fuji, but when I go back to the Ritchey, I also like the Ritchey. If the Ritchey were custom built matched to my weight and position it could only get better.

racermech

by racermech

That english TT is amazing!! Looks like a steel bmc headtube area. English is a true craftsman!!

djconnel

by djconnel

Crumpton ultralight.

Super-impressive work by Nick, a WW regular.

Too bad it has Shimano, though.

LionelB

by LionelB

This new Crumpton frame looks sweet.

mdcreed81
Resident Pro

by mdcreed81

The english tt bike is amazing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com