Thinking about riding around the earth...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

basilic

by basilic

But won't the quantity spoil the fun?
For a Xth b'day, I'd go for X super-duper not-to-be missed bucket-list rides

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Cycling around the world is dangerous.

http://news.yahoo.com/round-world-uk-cy ... 55377.html

This could happen in your neighborhood as well.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

fa63

by fa63

130R wrote:When I lived in Buckhead a couple of years ago I used to go ride in the parking deck at Phipps Plaza in the mornings. I could knockout 30 miles pretty easily in around 1.5 hours, boring as hell though.

I live just south of Buckhead (Peachtree Hills). Not sure I can bring myself to ride a parking garage, though; I think I would rather be on the trainer instead (as sad as that sounds).

basilic wrote:But won't the quantity spoil the fun?
For a Xth b'day, I'd go for X super-duper not-to-be missed bucket-list rides

I am sure the quantity will spoil the fun a little bit, but I want this to be about pushing myself. I have a bit of a addictive personality, so I fare better when it is all or nothing.

stella-azzurra wrote:Cycling around the world is dangerous.

http://news.yahoo.com/round-world-uk-cy ... 55377.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This could happen in your neighborhood as well.

I just heard about that today, that is sad news. That said, I will do my best not to get hit while I do this; I think Atlanta might be a bit safer than Thailand (well, at least the part where I would do most of my riding) :)

Illuminate

by Illuminate

I completely understand where you're coming from - go for it. Why - so you can say you've done it, rather than to spend the rest of your life wondering.

Same reason I want to climb this (one day): http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?co ... ainID=8349. Just so I can say that I've done it.

All the best for your venture - keep us posted!

djconnel

by djconnel

That's really sad.

From the article, however: The driver has been released on bail and faces charges of causing death by dangerous driving, which carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in jail.

If this was California, on the other hand, it would have read:

The driver stopped immediately after the crash and is cooperating with investigators. Police are still looking into how the crash happened but do not think alcohol or drugs played a role. Any witnesses should contact police at xxxxx.

And that would be the end of it.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

DJ you are being way optimistic. California has some of the highest bicycle fatalities in the US.
How many of those are hit and run do you think? How many are drunk drivers at the wheel?
I don't think drunk drivers are going to stop and fully cooperate. Do you?
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

No, Stella, he's referring to the way the drivers of vehicles are treated after they are involved in fatal collision with a cyclist. They usually get a slap on the wrist - at most. There are few exceptions to this, but typically the judge is unable to enforce anything more than a fine and community service because the laws here are so f*cked up and oriented for the "holiness" of cars.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Oh my bad.

fa63

by fa63

unidexter wrote:You are not actually riding round the earth. You are cycling a bit indoors and then back and forth to work :lol: , only you want to spend more time doing it to lose some weight. Why not eat less crap and ride up and down some steep hills as fast as you can and push a few weights and all your dreams will come true and will also not take up so much of your time . There is nothing inspirational about a man riding a bike indoors ,going nowhere for 2 or 3 hours staring at the space in front of him. and then cycling to work .
The "thinking" in the title is most apt and the "earth" is a room in your house :lol:

I am glad I am not worried about inspiring anyone but myself.

sawyer

by sawyer

fa63 wrote:
unidexter wrote:You are not actually riding round the earth. You are cycling a bit indoors and then back and forth to work :lol: , only you want to spend more time doing it to lose some weight. Why not eat less crap and ride up and down some steep hills as fast as you can and push a few weights and all your dreams will come true and will also not take up so much of your time . There is nothing inspirational about a man riding a bike indoors ,going nowhere for 2 or 3 hours staring at the space in front of him. and then cycling to work .
The "thinking" in the title is most apt and the "earth" is a room in your house :lol:

I am glad I am not worried about inspiring anyone but myself.

EDIT: unidexter was not wanted.
Last edited by sawyer on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

fa63

by fa63

So I am actually doing this (at least trying to). I started yesterday; here is the link to my blog page where the data from first two rides can be found:

http://ft-atalay.blogspot.com/search/label/RATW

I will be documenting my progress on my blog; wish me luck!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

http://ft-atalay.blogspot.com/search/label/RATW wrote: I made a resolution to ride the equivalent of the circumference of the earth as measured at the latitude of my current hometown (Atlanta, GA) in one year.
HammerTime2 wrote:But rather than riding the circumference of the earth, make your goal to ride around the earth, and then very cleverly you get to pick the latitude.
I see you followed my advice to pick a latitude (other than the equator).

fa63

by fa63

HammerTime2 wrote:I see you followed my advice to pick a latitude (other than the equator).

I did, indeed; makes it a bit more manageable. It made sense to do it at the latitude of my current hometown.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

fa63 wrote: If I can accomplish that, it would be a cool 30th birthday present, not to mention it would probably get me in great shape again which hasn't been the case in several years now.

You are aware of the 'principle of diminishing returns'? :wink:

Of course it's a stupid idea, but if it makes you happy, go for it :thumbup:
(but don't end up like that guy who won the Strava base mile blast challenge this year)
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!