New Arione R1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

Has anyone tried the brand new Arione with the wing flex sides (R1)? Curious to see if it is any better with sag or worth the extra cash?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

lone wheeler

by lone wheeler

No but i've just ordered the new Arione 00. Looks the biz!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dolophonic

by dolophonic

bump ?

wondered if anyone has review ?

Dammit

by Dammit

I replaced my K:1 with the R1, in short it is as comfortable as a standard Arione (which the K:1 was not), but weighs 145g

mattydubs

by mattydubs

Dammit wrote:I replaced my K:1 with the R1, in short it is as comfortable as a standard Arione (which the K:1 was not), but weighs 145g

How is the R1? I use a Versus for training but dont need the channel for races. My club is supposed to get Fizik deals so I'm tempted... (though I actually beat the discount on my Versus). The 00 seems too pricey and I don't care for the yellow. Oh pride!

Dammit

by Dammit

I found the K:1 to be great for ~60 mile flat out efforts, i.e. when on the drops and perched forward on the saddle.

However, when (for example) you'd reached the coast and were returning to London, sat back on the hoods, it became uncomfortable.

I ended up shifting around, and could never get comfortable for an extended period.

The K:1 does have some padding- a surprising amount given the way it looks.

However, the shell itself is absolutely rock hard, zero give whatsoever.

I looked at the Arione 00 to replace it, but it felt (to my highly scientific "squeeze it in Condor Cycles" test) just as inflexible as my K:1.

The R1 however had just as much flex/give as an Arione CX (again, verified by "squeeze in Condor" test).

Also, the R1 has a slightly broader nose, so when in chewing-the-stem mode you have slightly more range of position.

Ultimately, it's just as, if not more than as comfortable as the standard Arione, which for me is the gold standard, and it's nice and light:

bura

by bura

mattydubs wrote:
Dammit wrote:I replaced my K:1 with the R1, in short it is as comfortable as a standard Arione (which the K:1 was not), but weighs 145g

I use a Versus for training but dont need the channel for races.

The Versus series were a long overdue step into right direction.No idea why fizik needed so long for a channeled saddle.

Curious.Why do you need a channel for training and no channel for the races? :noidea:
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

woz9683

by woz9683

I've had an R1 for a few weeks now.
Padding - The padding is more dense and a little thinner than the cx. Comparable density to my antares 00, but slightly thicker than the 00 (haven't had an arione 00 in hand yet).
Flex - The shell does have a little bit of flex to it, imo significantly less flex than a cx. The shape does create a tiny bit of a pocket even unloaded (to adjust for less flex in the shell itself??):
Setup - I have mine adjusted level from tip to tail and there's a sag/pocket of 3-5mm right around the widest part of the wings.
Wings - To me, the wingflex is less about the actual feature, but more about the shape of the edge. From the edges of the nose, to the lead edge of the wings the shell itself curls down significantly, comparable to other arione versions I've felt, but in contrast to the antares saddles which always feel like a flat shell with just slightly rounded padding on top. For me it wouldn't matter how much the wings of an antares could flex because they always end up digging straight into the back/side of my leg. So, in other words, the wings work for me on the R1, but I think it's because the shell itself curls down at the wings, and then maybe the flex is slightly enhanced by the wingflex notches.
Overall - Great saddle so far, close to 1,000miles on it already, and once I got the setup right it's been awesome.

mattydubs

by mattydubs

bura wrote:Curious.Why do you need a channel for training and no channel for the races? :noidea:

More a factor of time and, really, my trainer than anything. For long training/fun rides (3 hours plus) I notice the channel, but really the trainer is where I get numbness issues. I don't know why it happens there, but I've been fitted and adjusted forever and the channel is useful there. Races are much shorter, by comparison. Crits and hill climbs (which are most of what I do) are comparatively short. Also, the old adage "train heavy, race light" applies here.

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

I just got one, feels just like a new Arione except a tad bit wider so far. I need a zero degree seatpost to get it dialed though.

Guerdi

by Guerdi

Currently on ebay : arione r1 with crocodile skin.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Custom-Fizik-Arione-R1-Saddle-Red-Dyed-Genuine-Alligator-Skin-Bike-Seat-/380583609546?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item589c8d04ca

Not my taste (to be polite) and must destroy your bibs in less than 100 kms.

mattydubs

by mattydubs

Ugh. That looks rough. No thanks. Plus that skins gotta add 50g...

bura

by bura

I need to understand this. Never liked fizik .For me it is one of the over rated and over priced components for my bike.
Fizik needed ten years to implement a channeled line(versus).
What in the shape of a regular Arione did change that it needs a review?
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

KWalker

by KWalker

The shell material and padding changed.

I love my Arione. 1st saddle I ever rode on a road bike and after testing close to 20 other saddles (see other threads), its what I came back to. Technology and other shit aside, it simply works the best for me.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattydubs

by mattydubs

bura wrote:I need to understand this. Never liked fizik .For me it is one of the over rated and over priced components for my bike.
Fizik needed ten years to implement a channeled line(versus).
What in the shape of a regular Arione did change that it needs a review?

There are many different models of the Arione, this thread is/was/is about the R1, not the regular model. The R1 has a different shell, carbon rails, etc.