Inexpensive tubular wheels -- help me choose.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Looking to build a set of inexpensive wheels as backup/rain day wheels to my Nemesis on silver Chorus. For hubs I'm thinking Miche Box Racing or Circus Monkey; rims Ambrosio Montreals or Velocity Escapes. 32 3x 14/15 DB all round.

What would would you build up?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

+1 for the Montreals. I've had a pair forever - solid, solid rim. I have no experience with those hubs, just make sure they are easily rebuildable if they will be getting heavy wet use. Or look into Phil Wood bearings - they have a few that are not just waterproof, but rated "submersible".

http://www.philwood.com/products/bearingpgs/stand.php

Geoff

by Geoff

I have old Ambrosio Montreal rims on Campagnolo Super Record 32's...with a 6-speed Maillard freewheel! They last forever.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

The Major Tom from Velocity may be worth a look. They have a bit wider profile, and they build up to be pretty rigid.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

@Zen

I've considered the Major Toms; since this is for road use and I've read enough differing opinions on their suitability for road-width tires (vx CX where they'd be my top choice) I took them out of the mix.

All -- any thoughts on hubs?

Werdna

by Werdna

I've ridden Velocity escapes (20/24h) for a while now. I weigh ~80kg and have zero issues with the relatively low spoke count.
Major Tom's might build a stiffer wheel though.

LouisN

by LouisN

I wouldn't think of Major Toms with anything below 25 mm, best with 27 mm.

Louis :)

notsoswift

by notsoswift

teleguy57 wrote:Looking to build a set of inexpensive wheels as backup/rain day wheels to my Nemesis on silver Chorus. For hubs I'm thinking Miche Box Racing or Circus Monkey; rims Ambrosio Montreals or Velocity Escapes. 32 3x 14/15 DB all round.

What would would you build up?

To me what you have is a PERFECT back up rain wheel!
I have Nemesis on (new) Record as my daily and I can't think of anything tougher or better for the job. The only thing you may change is the tyres compared to a dry wheel

teleguy57

by teleguy57

notsoswift wrote:To me what you have is a PERFECT back up rain wheel!

So I should build another set of Nemesis, eh? IS the plural then Nemeses? :lol: Note the emphasis on "inexpensive." I suppose the other direction is to build up a high-zoot set of carbon tubulars as daily drivers and relegate my Nemesis to rain day duty. Seems like such limited use for such a nice wheel....

First world problems when you start with nice stuff....

notsoswift

by notsoswift

Too true, I see you do you have nice tyres as well :)

RussellS

by RussellS

http://www.excelsports.com/wheel.asp

Excel Sports allows you to build custom wheels using the parts they sell. Little under $550 for Record hubs, DT465 rims, DT 14/15 spokes. You can pick any rims, any hubs, any spokes.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

That Hampsten is gorgeous! No intro thread for her?

teleguy57

by teleguy57

btompkins0112 wrote:That Hampsten is gorgeous! No intro thread for her?

Right here http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14214&p=909605#p909605, sir....

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

In http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14214&p=909605#p909605, teleguy57 wrote:Blackburn frame pump in the NDS seatstay old-school style
Looks interesting, but I don't recall that school. I recall road bikes having frame pumps on either the seat tube (feet wedged in BB) or under the top tube. Do you have a close up picture showing the frame pump in the NDS seatstay?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

teleguy57

by teleguy57

huh, looks like all my photos are DS, and the pump is on the NDS. I'll have to get out the camera.

I've seen quite a few references to carrying a pump this way; here's one good photo of another Hampsten http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f11/hampsten-tournesol-4314-34.html#post382473 seatstay style...

I've never had mine move on me -- it's in there tight. But it comes out when I want it to. The one thing vs a TT mount is that since seatstays tend to be shorter than top tubes you need a shorter pump. I think mine is a Blackburn small, and the effective TT is 58.5 so it's a larger frame.