Best current all-round carbon clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which is the better buy? (price, year, compnents considered).

Zipp 303 Firecrest - 2012 - around $1600-$1700 + SHIPPING SECOND HAND
47%
Ritchey SuperLogic Carbon - 2013 - NEW - $1499 usd + SHIPPING
6%
Reynolds FORTY SIX - 2012 - NEW - $1496 usd + SHIPPING
15%
Bontrager Aeolus 5 D3 Clincher - ? - around $1800 + SHIPPING SECOND HAND
7%
HED Jet 4 FR - 2013 - NEW - $1450 + SHIPPING
9%
CORIMA AERO+ - 2011 - around $1500 + SHIPPING SECOND HAND
4%
Reynolds Assault - 2012 - $900 usd SHIPPED
12%

Total votes: 108

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Zen Cyclery wrote:@teufelhunden222- There are much better options out there than the Zipp hubs. Ones that are more durable, with less proprietary parts.

Wait for the new Alchemys to come out. Super light, with ultrawide flange spacing. That would be the perfect Enve build.

Not really in keeping with the Op but I have to jump in on this one and agree - last hubs I would consider apart from maybe the micro hubs. IMO it is not coincidence that the Zipp hub design keeps changing [ or innovating] every year it seems - by random comparison the DT 240 hasn't required change for how long now... must be near 10 years?
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

tma82

by tma82

My vote goes for the 303 Firecrest. I have them in tubular and I love them :)

Reynolds Assault would be my second choise. They are very nice and you could save some money.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

brettmess24

by brettmess24

So what did you buy?

bwdftp

by bwdftp

My vote is for the Zipps. I've got sets of 202 clinchers, 404 clinchers and 303 tubulars. Personally, I wouldn't go the 303 clinchers - not much in weight savings compared to the 404s and lose out on the aero benefits. Alternatively, if you're after a lighter wheel, the 202s save a 100g compared to the 303s.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Buy the Reynolds Assault. The cheapest off all named wheelsets. Why pay more for wheelsets that all have problems when it comes down to heat and going fast down the mountain.
The best carbon clinchers are Lightweight meilenstein imho. If you take a look at the wheels mentioned and price would not be a factor, and I had to choose from these wheelsets, then I would buy the Zipp Firecrest 303 or Reynolds forty six.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

BobDopolina
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by BobDopolina

I skipped to the end.

It is impossible to have any opinion about 2013 product since these products haven't been in the marketplace long enough to validate claims.

This is a beauty contest at best.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.
https://www.bdopcycling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drmutley

by drmutley

HED ?

showbiz

by showbiz

brettmess24 wrote:So what did you buy?

Still deciding. :roll:

Sisbud

by Sisbud

Get the zipps. I have the 202 and 303. Both are firecrest clincher and both are amazing.

djconnel

by djconnel

Heds have been traditionally more reliable than Zipps, and do excellently in the wind tunnel (as do Zipps).

renoracing

by renoracing

Well I ended up going with the 2012 Reynolds Assault's after a deal popped up on them for $805 shipped... It was just too good to pass up. I just mounted tires on them this morning and will head out for a short ride here soon... Timing is perfect as I have a long flat race on Sunday! I'll follow up with my opinions on them compared to the C24's...

mikeyc

by mikeyc

+3 for the Enves.

CBJ

by CBJ

dadoflam08 wrote:
Zen Cyclery wrote:@teufelhunden222- There are much better options out there than the Zipp hubs. Ones that are more durable, with less proprietary parts.

Wait for the new Alchemys to come out. Super light, with ultrawide flange spacing. That would be the perfect Enve build.

Not really in keeping with the Op but I have to jump in on this one and agree - last hubs I would consider apart from maybe the micro hubs. IMO it is not coincidence that the Zipp hub design keeps changing [ or innovating] every year it seems - by random comparison the DT 240 hasn't required change for how long now... must be near 10 years?

Interesting read as so many people including in the thread say Zipp. I was told something along the lines of what you are saying at the bike shop where the head mechanic told me they had a lot of problems with the new Zipp hubs wearing out bearings because of the new design.

thatdkid

by thatdkid

I have owned 3 sets of Enve carbon clinchers and they are great wheels! And they also continue to get better...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I voted for the Assaults and here's why.
The Ritcheys are the same rims as the Assaults. The Assaults use the KT hub, which I've had in 3 different wheelsets and they have worked flawlessly.
That being said, I just ordered a set of New FSC38-CM from FarSports through Kyle. ;)