FarSports 38mm Carbon Clincher Review Thread, The

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pcrispey

by pcrispey

Indeed mounting a tire on these rims is not easy some soapy water solution ken help. I also used a used Vittoria Rubino pro and a Conti 4000S. The Conti's are easy to mount I think it will be easy if you take Ultremo's.

addictR1

by addictR1

how much does this set cost? any options to do a groupbuy for weightweenie groups?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Around $600 or so shipped to the US.
Price may fluctuate a bit w/ currency valuation, price of carbon, shipping, etc:. But that's the sort of base target you'll be looking at.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

matt_vawter

by matt_vawter

does anyone have input on the hub selection? I am particularly concerned about the rear. Among the options of Edhub, Mitex, Novatec and Chosen, do any of these remotely compare to DT Swiss?

Thank you

eric

by eric

We're pretty sure that Edhub is a Bitex RAR9. A number of us have Bitexes (Bitexii?) and they are decent hubs for the money. The bearings are reasonably good. The freehub body is surprisingly hard for aluminium. Mine hardly have any marks from Shimano 10sp cogs. The flange spacing is slightly better than DT but not great on the DS. Edhubs have the same flange spacing.

Novatec make some decent hubs. I don't know about Chosen. If I was buying another set, keeping in mind that I consider them to be race wheels not training wheels, I'd get the Edhubs.

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

matt_vawter wrote: Among the options of Edhub, Mitex, Novatec and Chosen, do any of these remotely compare to DT Swiss?

Not really, but you are comparing them to hubs that cost more than the entire wheelset you are looking at. I have had no problems with my EdHubs, and Novatec and Chosen are pretty well known. Not DT Swiss quality by any means, but nothing concerning at all.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Hello!
So a long overdue update to these wheels. Since last writing I have more to add:

-Despite rolling through various construction-zone road issues, hitting some potholes and some rough riding, the wheels remain true and the hubs are spinning up nicely.

-Audibly judging the sound of freewheeling these wheels are more 'in balance' compared to nearly all of the wheels of the people I've ridden with. I'm not sure why that is necessarily, but in any case I am using 60mm valve butyl tubes right now. :noidea:

-Flats and rolling on them at 0 or low pressue did no damage to the rims. They're quite sturdy and I'm constantly impressed by their quality of construction.

-Steep descents? No problem (for me at least). Recently I've finally had the opportunity to take these down some of the steeper descents in the Santa Monica Mountains area. These include Deer Creek, Cotharin (what I consider one of the greatest roads to ride in Southern California, especially on a crisp clear day), Las Flores, Decker, Tuna and Fernwood.

I've covered Fernwood before in descent earlier in this thread, no change there: the wheels are great so long as you are used to the braking nature of carbon rims.

In order of steepness these might be ranked:
Deer Creek, Tuna, Las Flores, Cotharin, Decker, Fernwood

In order of technical difficulty these might be ranked:
Tuna, Decker, Las Flores, Fernwood, Deer Creek, Cotharin

Y'all can look them up on Strava for their characteristics.

Anyway, regardless of technicality or steepness, I did not have any problems. No blowouts, no sudden loss in braking and so on. Was I worried? Yes - mostly because of reading all the old-wives' tales on the internet, recounting the "end is nigh!!!!!!" type warnings from people I otherwise respect and admire for their reviews of cycling products in the magazines or websites. It's amazing how well the power of fear works to some people's or businesses advantage.

I continue to use butyl tubes, not latex, and on the whole I would consider myself a confident descender that doesn't use the brakes too much. I will still state, however, that if you do tend to use the brakes a lot and/or are not used to the nature of a carbon braking surface and/or are not an entirely confident descender (be honest with yourself), I would then advise an exercise of caution at your own risk.

Braking surface on the whole is performing the same as they were months ago. Occasionally I do wipe off remnants of the pads from the rims after a long, technical descent, but this has not affected braking performance to my knowledge. However there is something to be said about 'knowing' your wheels and 'knowing' how to adjust your lines in descending on certain types of wheels because they brake differently. This would be the case with any wheel, I think.

Do I think braking surfaces on carbon rims can be better than this? I entertain the idea and may think so, but I do not have any significant experience with wheels such as ZIPP, ENVE or Xentis all of whom have reportedly great breaking surfaces. They also cost quite a bit more too. So how much better? I have no idea. Let's assume they have better braking surfaces.

Current (at time of writing) pads being used are the FarSports "Blue" pads that are supplied with the wheels. From testing these seem to be the same as Reynold's Blue in terms of compound and colour, only difference being the branding. I plan on using the SwissStop Black Prince brakes after I run low on all my blue pads just to see how those perform.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Many thanks for the update; having read this and a number of other threads, I placed my order today (38mm). I am planning to use them daily and, assuming I get on with them I will sell my 404's. The interesting point for me will be how well then work on my Evo - I don't particularly enjoy the Zipps on the cannondale - it is a light bike (WW to blame for that!) and I find it a bit twitchy. that said they were brilliant in a straight line and for holding speed. I am hoping the 38mm clinchers are good compromise. I also want to convince my mates who think I am mad buying 'cheap' Chinese wheels!!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

prendrefeu wrote:I will still state, however, that if you do tend to use the brakes a lot and/or are not used to the nature of a carbon braking surface and/or are not an entirely confident descender (be honest with yourself), I would then advise an exercise of caution at your own risk.
You (generically) can be a confident, though not overly aggressive, descender, who gets stuck behind traffic, and therefore has to brake significantly more than otherwise. Did that ever happen to you (specifically) when riding these wheels?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yes - that does happen from time to time in this area as there can be a bit of vehicular traffic. The only descents where I've been caught behind a car have been on Fernwood and "Rock Store" (which is a portion of Mulholland, also called "the snake" if you're in the motorcycling crowd). I did not feel nor detect any problem on those two descents despite having to do a lot of braking I wouldn't normally do. However neither of those is quite a Las Flores level of descent...

For those of you not familiar with the Santa Monica Mountains and the "Rock Store" descent, here's a relevant video.

I also found a Las Flores descent! Cool.

kylefoo
in the industry
Location: N96 Road jingquan, Jimei District, Xiamen city, China

by kylefoo

Have read many threads wrote by Prendrefeu, the posts given are combined with his real experiences, obviously,
which makes me get more familiar with our wheels, great.
FarSports carbon wheels
Email:sales2@farsports.cn
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

Keetoo

by Keetoo

prendrefeu wrote:Hello!
So a long overdue update to these wheels. Since last writing I have more to add:

Braking surface on the whole is performing the same as they were months ago. Occasionally I do wipe off remnants of the pads from the rims after a long, technical descent, but this has not affected braking performance to my knowledge. However there is something to be said about 'knowing' your wheels and 'knowing' how to adjust your lines in descending on certain types of wheels because they brake differently. This would be the case with any wheel, I think.

Nice review, i orderered my 38 mm. Clincher last week. How do you clean / wipe the remnants of the pads ?

spliid

by spliid

Are you people ordering via email with Kyle or velobuild? Approx ordered price on these wheels?

Thx in advance

Beancouter

by Beancouter

I ordered mine thru velobuild. I haven't had a confirmation from farsports yet, but assume they are dealing with the backlog after their vacation.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beancouter

by Beancouter

I ordered mine thru velobuild. I haven't had a confirmation from farsports yet, but assume they are dealing with the backlog after their vacation.