Bike Cases

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iubike

by iubike

I used a Trico this summer in Europe, US to UK, UK to DE, DE to UK, UK, to FR, and back, it was tossed all over and I never had a bit of problem. My GF and I both used the cases and never had any issues at all!

K

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fffastfaz

by fffastfaz

On all my interstate trips I've used a Cannondale cardboard box as it is a much more solid construction than other carboard boxes I've seen. I've never experienced any problems as I have packed the bike to the same standards are richardtoddywoddy. For a single trip it is a very cost effective choice.

However I agree for multiple trips a hard case is best and nobody does it better than Scicon.

http://www.rullobike.com have them at a good price.

Or their latest soft case offering. (Looks like it has better padding)
Attachments
scicon_53PL.jpg
aero-tech.gif

LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

by LJ

The Scicons (hard case) have been great for me. Good news for when you get off the plane to, as I have two full cases and the GF in a Micra!

bc909

by bc909

I'm not sure about brands as I don't know what you can get there. I have 2 cases and I travel a lot with them. One is a tri-all-three two bike case http://www.triall3sports.com/, and the other is a Sci-con hard case. Clearly I would recommend either of these, but they are expensive, and I think it would cost a lot to ship a tri-all-three to Oz.

Were it me, and I didn't want to spend the money on a case, I would pack it in a normal carboard box and ship it. DHL, FedEx, etc.

It's important to remember (at least in the US) is that the authorities WILL open the case. If it is cardboard and taped and full of clothes, they will pull all that stuff out and "try" to put it back in. They will get it wrong. Your bike may or may not make it in good shape. Bad gamble to me.

So I have found that on the airlines it's the best to make it super easy for them to open it up, look at the bike, look at the wheels, and close it back up. If you feel confident that a non-cyclist is capable of doing that without damaging your bike in the way that you pack it, then go for it, otherwise pack and ship or have a case that is VERY easy to open, close and look through.

jimmer23

by jimmer23

Yeah, I'm currently looking too for my extended work stay in Paris. I'm torn between the Sci-On hard case which looks awesome but is $800, and the Bike Pro race case which unfortunately isn't technically a hard case but does weigh less and is half the price. LJ, have you found the Sci-On case cumbersome to lug around? It'll weigh around 50lbs fully loaded, maybe I need to get to drilling out more parts? :wink:
I also have to worry about my Deda Synapsi handlebars. Is there enough room in the case for them to fit as intended with the handlebars turned fully to the side? The aero extension sticks out about 4 inches which puts it just past the normal drop bends. Can the padding accomodate this you think?

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

Zakeen might be the one you want answering your question as I'm sure he would've travelled heaps. From my experience I wouldn't touch a soft bag as although they offer scratch protection a heavy object such as another bike getting thrown on top could easily hurt the vulnerable parts of your bike such as the rear hanger. Also very hard to get everything to sit how you'd like.

Hard case are good but expensive but the airline blokes get super pissed off with them due to the shape. Some are also a bit hard to move around, especially when it comes to putting it in the car if you havent got a mini bus. The airlines also don't like most of them due to the shape for stacking and will most likely slug you excess baggage.

Personally I'd go a cardboard box. Tape up the bottom completely to avoid the bottom falling out when it gets wet. Tape around the handles as they always rip and do a few full laps to support the sides.The baggage handlers will still get annoyed with them; I saw a guy drop mine on its side from head height, but if you've got a bit of foam in there theres no need for concern. My current box, which from memory a giant box inside a qantas box, has lasted for 6 trips which is 22 flights, only needs a bit of extra reinforcing around the handles.

Are you going interstate or overseas as that might change a few opinions? If overseas just use more tape :)

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Travelling to Adelaide.

Thanks for the replies so far, still looking into my options.

airsoft510

by airsoft510

Do any of you know if you can lock the bike cases? or does security have to check it? ive heard now (in the u.s.) you cant lock any luggage you check so they can search it, is this true?

LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

by LJ

jimmer23 wrote: LJ, have you found the Sci-On case cumbersome to lug around?

The shape does make it quite awkward to pick up and load in a car when its heavy, but apart from that its fairly easy in the airport etc. The case rolls quite well and I haven't had any of the wheels snap off yet (Christmas will be my 8th trip with one). If a wheel goes then I could imagine it would be a nightmare!

jimmer23

by jimmer23

Thanks LJ.

Anyone use the Serfas Bike Armor case? Looks like a hard case that protects as well as the Sci-On case with about half the "style" and at half the price. Looks like it will be my choice...

Bruiser

by Bruiser

These horror stories of apes have convinced me to catch the bus 8)

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

Just don't make abusive gestures to the monkey from inside the plane if your good wheels are still to be loaded...With that thought make sure you bubble wrap everything and if using a cardboard box or soft bag try and leave your back wheel in if possible to protect your hanger.

Boonen

by Boonen

stumpytrunks wrote: try and leave your back wheel in if possible to protect your hanger.

There are special inserts to put in between the rear hanger to prevent it from crushing. Your LBS might have some as they are in most framesets that get shipped. They come in both 'front' and 'rear'. You can also use an old set of hubs with qr's.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

They don't protect your hanger they only stop an impact crushing the frame.

jimmer23

by jimmer23

Purchased the Serfas Bike Armor case yesterday. Looks like a great alternative to the Sci-Con case. Will post a review later in the week after some monkey-throwing around. 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com