Huh? T-Mobile still using Campa wheels???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

Cyco wrote:Another Qn - Why was Ullrich using A Lightweight and a Mavic Comete when Campag make the Bora and Ghibli?

Jan's disc wheel is a Lightweight with Mavic stickers (Mavic Comete has aluminium braking surfaces) The Lightweight disc weighs only 910 grams ore so :shock:

And why did he use Lightweight instead of Mavic....... Lightweight's are lighter :lol:
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martin

by martin

asphaltdude wrote:
Cyco wrote:Another Qn - Why was Ullrich using A Lightweight and a Mavic Comete when Campag make the Bora and Ghibli?

Jan's disc wheel is a Lightweight with Mavic stickers (Mavic Comete has aluminium braking surfaces) The Lightweight disc weighs only 910 grams ore so :shock:

Bianchi was using Mavic wheels last year, not Campa.
I don't think that is a Lightweight disk Jan is using. The valve hole is too big, LW discs have a small one (see pic). And iv'e never seen a black one, they are white and cannot be painted due to the material used, so i am told. Although you might be able to put a foil on it, i recon.

Martin
Attachments
heylight.jpg
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

userdeleted

by userdeleted

Jan's wheel was from Walser, as was his bike. And Walser's wheels are corima wheels. So it was a corima disc, go figure. IMO he should've used a Mavic, they're so friggin fast - I got one, and after 3 months of nothing but indoor training, I went out to the Southwest (I live in the US) for a race in February and it took me to a 25:55 20K. Well of course, the training had a lot to do with that :D but the Mavic disc sure holds its speed.

martin

by martin

HawkMt210 wrote:Jan's wheel was from Walser, as was his bike. And Walser's wheels are corima wheels. So it was a corima disc, go figure. IMO he should've used a Mavic, they're so friggin fast - I got one, and after 3 months of nothing but indoor training, I went out to the Southwest (I live in the US) for a race in February and it took me to a 25:55 20K. Well of course, the training had a lot to do with that :D but the Mavic disc sure holds its speed.

Ah, you are right, of course.
he can only use the Walser disc as the Walser frame uses a non-standard rear axle (100mm, iirc) along with a narrower BB.

Martin
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

veldt01

by veldt01

Hello,

Just to be sure: Telekom did use Hyperions (was able to buy some 2003 specimens with the magenta tubulars still on).

Furthermore: they didn't use bora's. the used wheels only looked like boras but where in fact nucleon hubs and spokes with corima rims. This combination is much stonger (I just bought a pair).

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

veldt01 wrote:Hello,

Just to be sure: Telekom did use Hyperions (was able to buy some 2003 specimens with the magenta tubulars still on).

Furthermore: they didn't use bora's. the used wheels only looked like boras but where in fact nucleon hubs and spokes with corima rims. This combination is much stonger (I just bought a pair).

No, in the 2003 TdF Vinokourov DID use a pair of Bora G3's.
(But before the Bora G3 Telekom used special corima's indeed, not the standard Bora's with carbon + alloy rim)

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

Okay, gonna give this topic another kick..... what the f*ck are they doing with their wheels at telekom?

Oke... we saw them using Campy wheels (first page), probably some left-overs.

In Paris-Nice Vino used Mavic proto's...

And now, in the Tour de Suisse....

Jan winning on new Shimano carbon wheels

Jan and a team mate on Corima Medium's

Jan on LightWeight's (16 spoke front!)

Do you still get it? :shock:
Last edited by asphaltdude on Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C-40

by C-40

So he uses all of the following: Corima, Lighweight and Shimano??? Must be a new set of LW's because of the gruppo change to Shimano.

By the way, what are the white stickers adjacent to the valves for??

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

C-40 wrote:So he uses all of the following: Corima, Lighweight and Shimano??? Must be a new set of LW's because of the gruppo change to Shimano.

It's a new set indeed..... in the 2003 Tour de France Jan used a 20-spoke front wheel, now he's riding a 16-spoke front wheel.

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

TdF Stage 7: Corima's

TdF stage 10: Lightweight's!

And note: In the Tour de Suisse he used a 16 spoke LW up front, but now he's using a 20 spokes front wheel!

danielgillett

by danielgillett

There is an article in my November 2003 Cycle Sport magazine on the TT bikes of the tour.

There is a picture of all the Bianchi TT bikes, all with Kysrium SSC's on them, connected to the trainer for warmup.

How could this be possible? For a Walser to have a Kysrium "in it"?

(I don't have a scanner, but someone else might?)

tobias

by tobias

danielgillett wrote:There is an article in my November 2003 Cycle Sport magazine on the TT bikes of the tour.

There is a picture of all the Bianchi TT bikes, all with Kysrium SSC's on them, connected to the trainer for warmup.

if that´s true, they might be reworked or custom made with skyrium rims and a narrow rear hub.
nothing.

Mathieu

by Mathieu

T-Mobile-tuned DMT Ultimax shoes?

Featherlight

by Featherlight

The Telekom riders are unhappy with the new Shimano- they don´t wanna use them: not stiff enough...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EFFE

by EFFE

tobias wrote:
danielgillett wrote:There is an article in my November 2003 Cycle Sport magazine on the TT bikes of the tour.

if that´s true, they might be reworked or custom made with skyrium rims and a narrow rear hub.

you can order the walser in two versions. the one version is with standart BB and standart rear-wheel. version two is with 100mm rear-wheel-hub and smaller BB. then you have to use the ugly walser-crank. gerolsteiner mainly uses version number one...

version number two is more expensive - of cours :roll:

ciao
effe