Ciamillo Gravitas crank, review and poll

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What are the 2 most important things for you on a crank ?

-Design + stiffness
9%
-Design + weight
15%
-Design + price
5%
-Stiffness + weight
44%
-Stiffness + price
9%
-Weight + price
18%

Total votes: 159

lewolive

by lewolive

As of today, I'm convinced that the technology of the carbon tubes is the good one !
I'm saying that after testing the crank for about 700km.

I have created the topic to share the testing of the first prototype.
After this test I'm very happy from both stiffness and weight savings.
I have a BSA30 frame/BB, for which the proto was designed.
When I switch with my Rotor 3D Flow and try to flex the end of the non drive side arm, there is one evidence, the 3D Flow is moving from about 1.5-2mm whereas the Ciamillo is moving from 1mm with the same effort.
However there is a few play on the drive side because of non perfect sizes of spider and spindle. This has been fixed on the few first deliveries.
The other problem that I have detected is the nut with a thread inside, that is fixing the 8mm titanium bolt that is attaching the 2 half spindles together.
After about 20 installation/removing, the thread has been damaged because it was made with aluminum, non anodized !
Ted has found the solution on the serial products without increase of weight: it's now a stainless steel nut.

It would have been a surprise if the prototype had been perfect from the first time. The truth is that I only have to change the nuts to ride it again and again.
But I wanted to share with you what is working and what must be improved. I will test the first serial products next week and let you know what I'm thinking about these products.
Since Ted has fixed the nut and the spindle length, he was focused these days on machining shims and spacer that will allow us to install the crank on all the existing bearings. My Rotor shims are not perfectly adapted to the spindle of the Ciamillo crank. So, I'm waiting for the good shims too.

For people who are focused on the weight, the 2 tubes version will have different tubes, that will enable to improve the design, the cx and the stiffness. Ted's working very closely from his tube supplier. The real weight is about 365g in 2 tubes / 170mm. So, there is still again 30g to save in order to break the record of the Clavicula, and it should be done with little changes during the next few months. The very high stiffness of the 3 tubes versions is allowing Ted to have some margins to reduce the weight.

As I said before, I'm not here for commercial goals. The main reason is that I want to both help Ted with office work so that he can keep focused on the crank, and the second reason is that I'm a cyclist and I love sharing my feelings on the new products.
My European customers who have ordered will be delivered next week, which is a little bit longer than the first lucky US customers.
As of today I don't entice my customers to order, because I want to check the improvements requested earlier and then the orders will be taken. Quality is my priority because I don't have the ability to ship back as easily as a US customer could do.
So, I suggest that if you have a paid crank, don't be too much impatient and give Ted and the first customers a few more days so that we can say if there is a small final adjustment to make or not.
There is a bunch of cranks almost ready to ship, customers will be delivered as soon as Ted is sure to supply the products with all the perfect specifications and shims/spacers.

deluxerider

by deluxerider

Hey remind me of the old Caramba cranks of yore. Not my favorite. These either.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Anyone get their cranks yet (besides lewolive)? Testers, etc?
Speedplay is the devil!

lewolive

by lewolive

mdeth1313 wrote:Anyone get their cranks yet (besides lewolive)? Testers, etc?

I don't know if the lucky few US customers are on the forums...

I'll make a second review at the end of the week because Ted has sent me out 3 cranks.
There will be full black and black with red pins.

The shipment is also including shims and spacer made by Ted, and somme SS nuts (instead of the fragile aluminum of the prototype).

On the 3 cranks, 2 are for my French customers but they will probably not write any review if they don't speak english.

As of today, I love the product, I'm sure of the reliability of the PTS technology, but I need again 2 things:
-make sure that the width of each half spindle is perfect (chainline).
-make sure that the supplied spacers will allow a perfect installation on each BB (BSA, BBright, BB30...).

On the US customers, I know that there's a lucky one that has received a BB24 with only 2 tubes (460g).

elfuinha

by elfuinha

lewolive wrote:

I'll make a second review at the end of the week because Ted has sent me out 3 cranks.

The shipment is also including shims and spacer made by Ted, and somme SS nuts (instead of the fragile aluminum of the prototype).

On the 3 cranks, 2 are for my French customers but they will probably not write any review if they don't speak english.

As of today, I love the product, I'm sure of the reliability of the PTS technology, but I need again 2 things:
-make sure that the supplied spacers will allow a perfect installation on each BB (BSA, BBright, BB30...).

On the US customers, I know that there's a lucky one that has received a BB24 with only 2 tubes (460g).

Please send Pictures, in HD please (all black).

your pics in this thread are very small

do you have any 130mm spider yet???

Holiday

by Holiday

lewolive wrote:

Hopefully I will be getting it as Ted said its a proto 2 tube for BB24 which is primarily aimed at the
Trek owner market or similar. Was sent a Tracking number but to date have no info on package. I
know Ted since the time of the Cat Claw days.
Attachments
Cat Claw! Big Daddy of all the ZG's
Cat Claw! Big Daddy of all the ZG's
NA

intensereef

by intensereef

Ted Ciamillo is coming to my house tonight here in Atlanta, Ga. We will be installing a Custom white version with blue ano pins of the 3 tube crank. I will give rider feedback and total weight of 172.5 length with 130 BCD spider soon....and yes, I will post pics!
Last edited by intensereef on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anders

by Anders

Great pictures of the work shop. Looks like a great playground with all processes in house. It's also obvious to me why I have been waiting 3 months for my cams and still waiting. It looks quite unorganized and if you would rather focus on the next new project and playing around making custom stuff for your friends rather than ensuring timely deliveries to your customers I guess that is a personal choice.

lewolive

by lewolive

I'll publish some pictures of the cranks that I have received.
I have both 2 or 3 tubes. I have colors in all black, black with grey pins, black with red pins, and even a grey anodized spider.
Unfortunately the chainline is not perfect on these "old" spiders, but I have found some e-clips to solve the problem (the problem is also that I have a BBright frame and Ted made the adjustments on his BB30 frame).
Ted is going to send me some 130mm spiders that will have a perfect chainline for BBRight and BSA. The original spider seems working perfectly on BB30 frames.
The last thing is that the spacers provided are a very good quality stuff, and there is a few of them that are adjustable.
The new assembly system sounds reliable, and I have just recycled the prototype with that new system.

As of tonight I'm only wondering if we are leaving the spider unattached to the spindle, because a very precise adjustment of the play is requested in order to avoid the spider moving.
According to my estimations, the 2 tubes version will be probably at the same levels of stiffness of Shimano Ultegra cranks, but the 3 tubes versions should remain the stiffest available on the market. It's actually stiffer than the Rotor 3D Flow that I'm riding at the same time this February.

intensereef

by intensereef

Hello Anders! I actually am a customer of Ted's......, I just happen to live in Georgia, where he is based out of. I paid for my cranks 4 months ago....., and realize the old saying of "all good things come to those who wait" is true. I am one of the few on this site that understands that Ciamillo is not Shimano, Sram or Campy. His shop is not run by hundreds of robots and workers on an assembly line stamping out the "run of the mill" blah blah found on everybody's bikes. I know it sucks having to wait in this day and age for anything that is not as fast as a mouse click but come on guys!...., if you want functioning art, that few have on their bikes....., it takes time. Ted is an artist, fabricator and assembler....., all in one. Trust me when I tell you that he wishes for you to have whatever it is you purchased from him in the time period you wished it by. This is a common problem suffered by so many of small companies in every industry. Btw....., even the giants have the same problem! I had to wait 3 months to get a part from Specialized! In the end it all comes down to one thing......, you can't get upset about the things you can't control...., and if you do you'll just die from some stress related illness related to a pair of brakes that didn't come quick enough! Hang in there bro...., he's not at the club parting with your money. Cheers! :-)

intensereef

by intensereef

Btw Anders....., I meant in no way to be snide or rude to you. If it came across that way I am sorry. I know how you feel....., trust me!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

intensereef wrote:In the end it all comes down to one thing......, you can't get upset about the things you can't control...., and if you do you'll just die from some stress related illness related to a pair of brakes that didn't come quick enough!
However, you can choose to control which companies you do business with, and take account of your own and other people's experiences and predictions when doing so ... and thereby minimize the stress. Of course, some folks like to gamble, and that's up to them.

intensereef

by intensereef

However, you can choose to control which companies you do business with, and take account of your own and other people's experiences and predictions when doing so ... and thereby minimize the stress. Of course, some folks like to gamble, and that's up to them.
Hammertime...., I agree with you and if I understand you correctly, your basically saying that you can chose where to spend your money to minimize the wait time. Keep in mind that there are not many companies out here that are making this kind of stuff, especially ones that are made right here in the US. Your choices are limited in this small fish pond of specialty fabricated items.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

It's not just wait time. Some people like drama, some don't. Some are willing to put up with drama to get, or to hope to get, something they perceive as cutting edge or unique, and others not. Some learn their own or someone else's lesson, others don't. Some people like, don't mind or are willing to put up with the way Ciamillo does business, and others not.

intensereef

by intensereef

Btw...., I'm sure there are some small in-house companies in the US that are fabricating the kind of stuff that Ted Ciamillo is making, but off hand I can't think of any? AX Lightness = NO, BTP = NO, KCNC = NO, THM = NO. All these are overseas. Just saying! Guess its easy for me not to complain about wait times because I live in the US and I'm trying now, more than ever (due to our economy), to keep my money here in the states and support the small business owners. I'll gladly wait 3 to 4 months to get all the bike bling crap that I don't really need but want, cause it's nice to look at and it makes me feel good......., especially if it's from a good hearted person that has passion for what he does.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com