Should i change my supersix evo to c59?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eurperg

by eurperg

NiFTY wrote:Colnago seem overpriced. They can't compete on stiffness or weight or value so they trade off "heritage"

That's also true when you compare Cannondale to Canyon.

I think C59 offers the best value because it will still look good after 10 or 20 years and will be always easy to sell for good price.
But I haven't heard of anybody who hasn't regretted selling a Colnago...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

eurperg wrote:
NiFTY wrote:But I haven't heard of anybody who hasn't regretted selling a Colnago...

That's true. What andyindo said is also true: A Colnago is more than a bike. At least to some of us.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

I would not do it. The Evo is technically a better bike. The C59 has lugs and do you like that? The C59 is a Colnago and you pay for that. In other words; the C59 is overpriced imho. I would love to own a C59 because they look great but I would not change it for a fantastic Cannondale Supersix Evo. :mrgreen:
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

djconnel

by djconnel

Lugs aren't bad. They make it easier to tune tube characteristics and to provide a broad range of sizes. Colnago prides itself in being unsurpassed in geometry matching options. They add some mass, but not much. A Colnago just won the World Cyclocross World Championship, a sport where weight is extremely important (wind resistance less important, plus you need to lift the bike) yet the UCI limit isn't a factor. Obviously it's not slowing Sven Nys down much.

The key issue to me is handling. I already posted a link discussing that. Here's another, and here's another. You've got to like long trail.

Sisbud

by Sisbud

Wow.... Thank you for all the responses. It seems that the opinions are a bit balanced between the evo and the c59.
I really loved my evo, and the only reason i am thinking of getting a c59 is due to the perceived comfort and heritage that the brand 'Colnago' brings. My group friends that have owned a C59 all stand by its comfort and its handling. And it has really made me wanting to try one.
However, the more i think about it, i am leaning towards keeping my evo more.
The first reason is that c59 has been around for quite some time and i am more inclined to wait for the new version. Are there any rumors in regard to this?
Secondly is that the size that is available will force me to run a 10cm stem, while i remember reading that the way colnago designed the geometry is to have the riders run longer stem to help handling. Any link to clarify this is greatly appreciated.

If there is anyone who has ridden both the evo and c59, i would love to hear how the bikes differ in terms of their ride characteristics.

airwise

by airwise

I'm just in the process of stripping a Super Six HM and building up a C59.

I considered an Evo Black but the C59 in 150th Anniversary colour scheme is a work of art. Everytime I look at it I grin. Everytime I see a Cannondale I wonder what next year's will look like - knowing it will be available in the Summer.

The Evo might well be a wonderful bike. The Supersix HM is a classic and a wonderful ride. Stable at speed. Light. Stiff. More feedback than the likes of S Works and others have offered me.

At the end of the day I am not expecting the C59 is improve on the ride really. But I do know that I will feel good everytime I see it. I took it over to a Cannondale dealer today and the staff simply drooled. Finish is in a different class.

Weight wise, my new 52s weighs in at 1145g, uncut fork, 439g. So it's heavy - probably a pound more than the Evo.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

+1

You can take a look at a bike from a technical point of view or you can look at your bike and feel butterflies in your stomach. The Evo is one of the best bikes out there from a technical point of view, but in the end you have to be in love with your bike everytime you look at her.
If money was not an issue I would have 10 bikes and the Evo, C59 and the s-works would all be there in my garage. :mrgreen:

kgt

by kgt

poppiholla wrote:You can take a look at a bike from a technical point of view or you can look at your bike and feel butterflies in your stomach. The Evo is one of the best bikes out there from a technical point of view, but in the end you have to be in love with your bike everytime you look at her.

Exactly.
And at the end... seriously. What does technology mean if it does not make for a better ride? That "technology" does not add anything IMO.

trikobe

by trikobe

Not to create a stir or anything but I had both the Cannondale Evo and the Colnago C59. I use had because I now only have one of the two.......yes, I did the unthinkable, I sold the Colnago. The Evo was just that much better, for me at least.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

I wouldn't get a C59 for comfort. Not that it rides rough but that is not the salient feature of the frameset.

You only live once and never know for how long-

get the bicicletta and ditch the bike.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

poppiholla

by poppiholla

So bottom line you can say that everybody makes it own choices when it comes down to brand, comfort, ride quality, looks, price and last but not least the emotion that you feel with a bike. In other words; Does the bike sing to you when you look at her.

dvincere

by dvincere

eurperg wrote:
NiFTY wrote:Colnago seem overpriced. They can't compete on stiffness or weight or value so they trade off "heritage"

That's also true when you compare Cannondale to Canyon.

That Canondale to Canyon comparison isn't true in the US...

Sisbud

by Sisbud

I completely agree that colnago is brand that brings a lot of passion to many cyclist, and in fact that is also another reason i am being drawn to the brand itself the first time.

Today, i went to see the frame itself which is the art decor ADWH color, and it is very stunning that i want to bring it home straight away. In the end, my decision was not to buy it and it was made easy that it is 1 size bigger for me.
However, i have to say that the finish on that frame is just simply stunning. If it wasnt due to the fact that it is the wrong size, i would have bought it along with SR components to build straight away and ride it tomorrow morning.

For now though, i am going to enjoy my supersix evo again. I have just fitted it with zipp 202 FC, and the ride is just phenomenal. Again, thank you for all the comments and opinions. It is interesting to see how much passion the brand colnago brings to cyclist of all ages.

michel2

by michel2

So did you do the right thing and ordered the right size ?(;

Sisbud

by Sisbud

As of now... I havent done the right thing yet hahaha.....
Thinking of waiting until the tour de france and see if there are any new bikes to be introduced this year.
Does anyone know of any new bikes from colnago this year? A newer version of c59 perhaps?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com