Carbon 29er rims

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

Have the 30mm version at the back on my Niner. Very satisfied, just ordered a 28mm front.
It´s a good price for a fairly light rim. The weight limit is high so I assume it is stiff and good for almost everyone.
Experimental Prototype

jooo

by jooo

Are you talking about Light Bicycle rims?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

Yes I´m talking about them. Good price good weight good quality.
Experimental Prototype

jooo

by jooo

Sorry Mattias, I actually meant to quote StradaJon but it's good to know they're working out for you. It's hard to actually sort through all of the useless posts in the MTBR thread so more info here is always good.

StradaJon wrote:We had the construction / finish spec tweaked to meet our requirements which makes it easier to build them up in our opinion.

If it's not Light Bicycle, who are you talking about?

Drappo

by Drappo

Farsport?
Alhoa

gifted child

by gifted child

Thinking of getting a light-bicycle carbon 29er rims, but cant decide if ill get the wider carbon rims, or the narrower carbon rims. Weight difference is around 20 grams +/- per rim. Wider carbon 29er rims (390 grams +/- 10 grams), narrower carbon 29er rims (370 grams +/- 10 grams)
* Im just a very light rider. 164 cm. 55 - 56 kilos bare, I was thinking that the wider carbon 29er rims would be overkill in stiffness for my weight? Save a few grams and get the narrower carbon 29er rims?
* I ride fairly XC, not aggressive, no jumps (maybe max 2 foot jumps but rarely.), bunny hops a bit, sometimes.
Currently riding Stans 3.30ti hubs, Spank VOMAX evo 23 alu (425 grams), DT Revs - 1520 grams. So at my current Spank VOMAX evo 425 grams rims, I would be looking at saving 55 grams per wheel if ill get the narrower carbon rims.

Wider or narrower carbon rims? The WW in me always points to the lighter rim, but I might regret I didnt get the wider rim. Hoping for some input guys.

gifted child

by gifted child

outer width is 27.4 mm, inner width - 21 mm. , 20mm rim depth. (narrower carbon rims)
outer width is 30 mm, inner width - 23 mm , 30 mm rim depth. ( wider carbon rims)

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I'd go with the wider rim. They're not much heavier, and I think they'll be quite a lot stiffer, not only because of the wider rim, but also because of the increased rim depth.

michel2

by michel2

Im tempted to buy a set of rims but really dont need hem, unlees someone can tell me why i should.
Im running hopes hubs on stan at the moment, and there holding up fine,
Im slightly over 90 kilo's and could do with a wider rim, not sure if the wide rim is acually wider than a stan's rim ?im also wondering if these are a pain to convert to tubeless ?
Any bdy here more experience with them ?

mentok

by mentok

Anyone tried farsport's 29 er carbon rims? I got a price from Kyle, but I can't find anyone in the interwebs who had any experience with them. Heaps of good reports backing the light bicycle wide runs though...