Gaulzetti Cazzo - what no purple?!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

KWalker wrote:I like the Gaulzetti frames, but after reading interviews with the guy I simply could not support anything that gives him more money to be self-righteous. He had a nothing amateur career and although he owns a bike shop I don't see how this gives him a magical insight into bike building. I know he sells the whole 'bare bones race machine' concept pretty well, but nothing about them is too stand out to justify his whole persona. I think they are clean, simple bikes if you have the cash and should remain that way.

All I can say is: Ride one.

LionelB wrote:Good looking bike. Did you weight the frame and the fork ?

No, sorry - I was too excited to build it!

fa63 wrote:Also, Rich mentioned on another forum that the ride is good enough for him to think about sidelining his Baum...

I can't quite believe it myself, but it is. I was wide-eyed riding this last night, I'm blown away.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Mmmmm, new bike euphoria?????
Can you please elaborate on why this bike would sideline a Baum?
I can imagine an aluminium bike could be a crit rocket and as stiff and direct as any carbon bike, but what about long ride comfort?
How will you feel after 100 or 200km on Australia's rough country roads.
I'm looking forward to some long term feedback, specifically with regard to comfort after a few hours in the saddle.
Looking forward to seeing your new wheels. Royce hubs seem a bit heavy, but look really classy for a classic build. :thumbup:
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

The Cazzo is steel.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Ozrider wrote:Mmmmm, new bike euphoria?????

Quantifiable as at least one gear better - even in a tired and dehydrated state I was riding the same hills yesterday on this (remember, same position and same wheels & tyres) at the same pace and RPE at least one gear harder than normal.

An element of 'new bike euphoria' is unavoidable, but I've had enough new bikes now to know the difference. This is genuine.

I have longer rides planned over the next few days so I'll report back on distance comfort, but as has already been pointed out this one is steel (although from what I've read the alu ones are perfectly comfortable over longer distances - and there's absolutely zero reason for a properly built alu bike not to be).

Rush

by Rush

Any geometry differences between the two bikes? Is the fit the same?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Geometric differences, yes - but the contact points are the same.

There's a very subtle change in HT angle (72.5º on my Baum, 72.7º on this), a 50mm fork rake (compared to 43mm on my Baum), the TT is 5mm shorter and with a steeper ST angle - but all to accommodate the use of a layback post (which Gaulzetti prefers). The BB is also 1mm lower.

By doing this though it's made for a 2cm shorter head tube, which is probably what makes it appear more in proportion than my Baum.

KWalker

by KWalker

BikeTart wrote:
Ozrider wrote:Mmmmm, new bike euphoria?????

Quantifiable as at least one gear better - even in a tired and dehydrated state I was riding the same hills yesterday on this (remember, same position and same wheels & tyres) at the same pace and RPE at least one gear harder than normal.

An element of 'new bike euphoria' is unavoidable, but I've had enough new bikes now to know the difference. This is genuine.

I have longer rides planned over the next few days so I'll report back on distance comfort, but as has already been pointed out this one is steel (although from what I've read the alu ones are perfectly comfortable over longer distances - and there's absolutely zero reason for a properly built alu bike not to be).

Sorry, but that is just confirmation bias/excitement. A new frame can't make you put out more wattage, which is what would determine what gear you'd ride at what pace. I get it, you spend a lot on bikes and while it makes sense to say its smoother/stiffer/etc., this is just bullshit pure and simple. A bike can't make you physically put out more power it can only make it more comfortable to do so.

The whole "ride one" things is also a cop out. I'm glad it works, but its just something that these builders say to charge a premium for arrogance. I bet its nice, but ANY custom bike should be pretty damn nice. In the end you pay for a brand aura, details, and paint.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

KWalker

by KWalker

fa63 wrote:
KWalker wrote:I like the Gaulzetti frames, but after reading interviews with the guy I simply could not support anything that gives him more money to be self-righteous. He had a nothing amateur career and although he owns a bike shop I don't see how this gives him a magical insight into bike building. I know he sells the whole 'bare bones race machine' concept pretty well, but nothing about them is too stand out to justify his whole persona. I think they are clean, simple bikes if you have the cash and should remain that way.

With that said I'm most likely going Speedvagen next year instead.

I met him at NAHBS '12 and walked away thinking he was a bit of a prick. I would never give him my money personally, but he indeed does a good job of marketing his bikes/philosophy. Having been on aluminum bikes for the good part of last five years, I would actually love to ride one of his Corsa frames and see if they are all that they are cracked out to be, but like I said I am not buying one from him :)

That said, this one looks like it will be a very nice build. Also, Rich mentioned on another forum that the ride is good enough for him to think about sidelining his Baum...

If it wasn't for Embrocation and Velocipede he wouldn't sell enough bikes to stay in business. What a surprise, catering to a crowd that pays for auras, not performance.

I do like this build because its simple and whether or not I like the brand it does accomplish what the brand sets out to do. I hope its raced until it collapses and accomplishes the goal they set out for it instead of ending up in a 10 page thread of saddle/bar tape swaps for months on end.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

**EMBARRASSING CONFESSION TIME**

I forgot I was riding 52/36 on this Vs 52/38 on my Baum - guess that accounts for the "at least one gear better" then... (yes, I do feel quite stupid)

BUT, after a longer and hillier ride today I still think it's a nicer ride than my Baum, and I still think it's stiffer. The handling is definitely better - it has a much smoother turn-in and is generally much more mild-mannered. I'm using the same wheels as I was on my Baum and over the same roads so it's a pretty direct comparison.

It's taking a while to get used to Campag again after so long on SRAM Red and Di2, but it's nice to be back on mechanical stuff that works so nicely!

michel2

by michel2

I remember the first time i rode my marcello, it was by far te lightes rig i ever had, it had everything tune what tune didnt make was record or frm.
I thought the bike was so good i didn't need to pedal, just coucln't work out why i was still sweating (;
The bike was at least faster in my head and that is an important advantage.

Quite honestly gaulzetti isnt working for me, none of them, and bike tart dont get me wrong i think you bike is absolutly gorgeous and i imagine by looking at the spec it rides like a dream.

I feel onces every 5-7 years a "newly" discovered framebuilder steps up and has a couple of fat years, before the media found the next best thing i supose we get bored of the same names/bikes and need change every so often ?

None the very nice looking bike,enjoy !

Rush

by Rush

BikeTart wrote:BUT, after a longer and hillier ride today I still think it's a nicer ride than my Baum, and I still think it's stiffer. The handling is definitely better - it has a much smoother turn-in and is generally much more mild-mannered. I'm using the same wheels as I was on my Baum and over the same roads so it's a pretty direct comparison.

Maybe you should try a 50 mm fork rake on the Baum?
What are the differences in front/rear centre?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I thought that - I'd new to check on the front-centre differences.

nachtjager

by nachtjager

Geez, tough crowd. I really dig it Rich!

Ride what you want I say, if it has Campagnolo all the better.

KWalker, last time I checked we ride bikes, not maker's egos. I do agree with you that Craig does come across as a dickhead, but if his customer service is up to scratch it's all hunky-dory.

Roobay

by Roobay

I do agree with you that Craig does come across as a dickhead

plenty of them in the world! :roll:
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

KWalker wrote:If it wasn't for Embrocation and Velocipede he wouldn't sell enough bikes to stay in business.

He sells through Embro because he thinks they do a better job of it, but the reality is his bikes are just a sideline - his main business is pretty big so he doesn't really need his bikes to keep him in business.

Not attempted to be a clever retort or finger-wagging - just telling it how it is.

nachtjager wrote:I do agree with you that Craig does come across as a dickhead, but if his customer service is up to scratch it's all hunky-dory.

His customer service has zero issues from the communication I've had. I sent him a drawing of my then-current geometry and I'd had a reply with a drawing of what he intended to build only a couple of hours later, despite the time difference. A couple of tweaks via email and I was set to go within two days.

Compare that to a guy in London who wants to sell bikes through me taking two weeks just to get a drawing out and then ignoring me when I asked questions...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com