Shimano 10s to Campy 11s rear wheel...re-dish needed or not?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Voye

by Voye

For the wheel builder experts.....if I was to switch a standard Reynolds Assault from Shimano to Campagnolo, any re-dishing required or it would be a straight swap of freehub?
Thank you

kavitator

by kavitator

No - same freehub 10 or 11 speed campa

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boolinwall

by boolinwall

Campy 10 to 11 requires no re-dish. However, most wheel companies do require a re-dish to go from Shimano to Campy. There are a few exceptions. Zipp and Fulcrum come to mind. Spinergy as well if I'm not mistaken. They dish all of their wheels for campy and have a larger gap between the frame and freehub when shimano freehubs are installed. Other companies, such as HED for example, prefer the not to have that large gap and therefor, shimano wheels are dished for shimano and campy wheels are dished for campy.

Voye

by Voye

Thank you. That's what I was thinking, worried about and the actual question....going from Shimano to Campagnolo. Reynolds mention a possible re-dishing...so more than likely would need one for a set of Assault. The price is really good...that's unfortunate.
:(

boolinwall

by boolinwall

Re-dishing is actually pretty simple. Most shops should be able to do it pretty quickly and cheaply, provided the nipples haven't seized. Aluminum nipples have a nasty habit of seizing to their steel spokes. Most modern, light wheels with alloy nipples suffer this fate eventually. So,, as long as the nipples are free and turnable, it's still a good deal.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

boolinwall wrote:Campy 10 to 11 requires no re-dish. However, most wheel companies do require a re-dish to go from Shimano to Campy. There are a few exceptions. Zipp and Fulcrum come to mind. Spinergy as well if I'm not mistaken. They dish all of their wheels for campy and have a larger gap between the frame and freehub when shimano freehubs are installed. Other companies, such as HED for example, prefer the not to have that large gap and therefor, shimano wheels are dished for shimano and campy wheels are dished for campy.

And Mavic, any one who uses DT as well as Campagnolo. So basically the major players have designed their wheels to work either way. The rest are either micky mouse wheel manufacturers whose designs are a little half assed or, in the case of Shimano, so big they have no interest in cross-compatability

Doyler

by Doyler

I switched my Reynolds Assaults from Ultegra to 11 speed Super Record. AFAIK freehub change is all that I needed. I'll double check with my mechanic tomorrow.

milroy

by milroy

ultimobici wrote:And Mavic, any one who uses DT as well as Campagnolo. So basically the major players have designed their wheels to work either way. The rest are either micky mouse wheel manufacturers whose designs are a little half assed or, in the case of Shimano, so big they have no interest in cross-compatability

I’m not sure that is entirely fair. Some companies purposely take/took advantage of the wider bracing angle S10 hubs could provide. (DT180 and possibly Alchemy). Others clearly view the changeability btwn Shimano and Campag as more important. Now with S11, I understand the bracing angle advantage will disappear, but someone may be able to correct me on that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I prefer all of my wheels to be spaced the same. So I've re-dished my Hed wheels for campy and adjusted the spacers to work with a shimano cassette. Without doing this, I needed to readjust the derailleur every time I switched from either my Zipp or Fulcrum wheels to my head ones. It'd be a lot easier if everyone just used the campy dish. But I understand from a strength point of view why they don't. Wheels dished for shimano 10 are stronger. However, I'm not convinced the extra 5% (not real numbers) of strength are worth the headaches.lol