All Around Clinchers- DA, Stans, or something else?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

Wadl wrote:
KWalker wrote:How much do you weigh? I keep hearing differing stories about Stan's rims.

The DA's would be the 2013 model with the wider rims and new 2:1 lacing, not the old version.

From what I read, the new DA c24 are the only one in the familly not having the wider rims and the 2:1 lacing.

9000 c24 are exactly like the 7900 but with titanium freewheel...

Wrong, the new DA are 23mm wide. New freewheel, rims, spokes, and lacing pattern.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

KWalker

by KWalker

prendrefeu wrote:How much do you weigh, Karsten?

Also, "generic hubs" is a bit vague, but if you're referring to the hubs from BHS for example those are exceedingly low maintenance.

I weigh 163lbs right now, but I ride a lot of rough roads with gravel and bad pavement. I never really get too far above 170 even in the off season and hope to hit the 150s by the late Spring.

As for generic hubs, BHS is definitely in that group. I'd prefer something with very good bearings that is easy to service and get spare parts for. I'd be more open to these hubs if such were the case.

Also, I plan to get the wheels through my LBS/team sponsor, so that's a concern in terms of getting certain brands of parts.

I'm not dead set on tubeless, but having the option is nice and I won't have to buy tires for a few months at least!
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

Servicing BHS hubs is quite simple. Before mine were laced up, I tore them down with two allen keys (8mm and 5mm, if memory serves). The bearings are/were Enduro units. Replacement/spare freehub bodies are also readily available. The overall design of the hubs is quite sound. They may not have the cachet of top-dollar WW hubs, but they work just fine.

I've seen similar--if not, identical--hubs that are sold under various names/brands.
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

NealH

by NealH

I have two sets of DA C24 wheels (7850 series) and they are superb. On one set I have worn the dimples completely down and am currently on my second set.

I weight 185 lbs and can't imagine a better wheelset. My carbon wheels just sit in the closet.

Wadl

by Wadl

KWalker wrote:
Wadl wrote:
KWalker wrote:How much do you weigh? I keep hearing differing stories about Stan's rims.

The DA's would be the 2013 model with the wider rims and new 2:1 lacing, not the old version.

From what I read, the new DA c24 are the only one in the familly not having the wider rims and the 2:1 lacing.

9000 c24 are exactly like the 7900 but with titanium freewheel...

Wrong, the new DA are 23mm wide. New freewheel, rims, spokes, and lacing pattern.

Well I don't want to be annoying but look on the shimano web sites:
http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content ... _road.html

The C24 is still 20.8mm wide and regular spoke pattern... only the C35 and deeper wheels now have 23mm wide rims and 2:1 lacing... sorry man !! :(

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Wadl is correct.....remember reading that in the Bike Rumor piece back when they were announced.

KWalker

by KWalker

You guys are both wrong: http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/05/31/201 ... r-options/

The rims are all wider, but you're right in that the 24's don't get Optibal, however, the wide rim is nice.

"Across the range, they’ve made the rims wider for better comfort and performance."

"They also used offset spoke holes on the rims, so spoke triangulation actually improves without any frame clearance issues. The OptBal 2:1 lacing uses this to give balanced overall tension between the two sides of the wheel – non-drive spokes are pulling twice as hard, but there’s half as many of them.

The new rims are called D2 and are 23mm or 24mm wide depending on the wheel model. They also gave them a deeper tire bed so the tire sits more flush with the sidewall and there’s no gap on the clinchers"
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Hmmm.....interesting. I want a set now.

styrrell

by styrrell

Any love for the Velocity A23 rims. It seems reasonably light and can be had in an offset rim for the rear.

I'm thinking of using them with Dati hubs and 24/20 spokes. Seems like it should be a good allround set up, pretty strong and decently light. Maybe sub 1400?

plpete

by plpete

Cool stuff. Looks like the tubeless version of the wheels has rims that are almost 40 grams heavier per wheel than the regular clinchers.

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

styrrell wrote:Any love for the Velocity A23 rims. It seems reasonably light and can be had in an offset rim for the rear.

I'm thinking of using them with Dati hubs and 24/20 spokes. Seems like it should be a good allround set up, pretty strong and decently light. Maybe sub 1400?

I've been happy with my A23s (laced to Profile Racing hubs). Mine's a fairly conservative build (28/82), but I would definitely buy them again.
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

KWalker

by KWalker

plpete wrote:Cool stuff. Looks like the tubeless version of the wheels has rims that are almost 40 grams heavier per wheel than the regular clinchers.

As the article says this is only because there are no holes in the rim bed and it ends up evening out once you factor in tubes and rim strips.

Still, they seem pretty awesome.

The info on the Bike Tech hubs is nice. I guess I trended away from them because I don't really want to use something that I couldn't just take to my LBS and have sent off for replacement if there was a failure. I also don't want to ever have to rebuild something or fiddle with it, which is why the Kings have been awesome.

One other thing I wanted to trend away from was having to use ultra light or expensive spokes to get weight lower. I did not consider the A23 because they're not really lighter than the HEDs, the quality is slightly lower, and it wouldn't make sense to replace what I have with them. If I were doing that I'd just do DA7800 NOS hubs to the HPLUSSON Archtype or something similar (or maybe even Stans).

Anyone have opinions on this build:
DA 7900 or 9000 hubs
DT Comps or Sapim Rays/Race
Stans Alpha 340 28/32
brass nipples and nipple washers.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi OP, you could have a look at the Pro-Lite Bracciano Wheelset. This is an example ...
http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=19
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29086

Actually it would be interesting to hear what others think of these, also ... :)

Wadl

by Wadl

KWalker wrote:You guys are both wrong: http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/05/31/201 ... r-options/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The rims are all wider, but you're right in that the 24's don't get Optibal, however, the wide rim is nice.

"Across the range, they’ve made the rims wider for better comfort and performance."

"They also used offset spoke holes on the rims, so spoke triangulation actually improves without any frame clearance issues. The OptBal 2:1 lacing uses this to give balanced overall tension between the two sides of the wheel – non-drive spokes are pulling twice as hard, but there’s half as many of them.

The new rims are called D2 and are 23mm or 24mm wide depending on the wheel model. They also gave them a deeper tire bed so the tire sits more flush with the sidewall and there’s no gap on the clinchers"

Well, don't get me wrong, I would really like if they were 23mm wide but your link is from may 2012... the shimano web side as been update only a few weeks ago... and they state that the c24 rim is 20.8mm... :(

It would be interesting to have someone mesure it !! if they are 23, well... dang.. I want a set !! LOL

KWalker

by KWalker

Wadl wrote:
KWalker wrote:You guys are both wrong: http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/05/31/201 ... r-options/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have access to the ShimanoTec site as I'm certified by them to the highest level. Everything internally

Well, don't get me wrong, I would really like if they were 23mm wide but your link is from may 2012... the shimano web side as been update only a few weeks ago... and they state that the c24 rim is 20.8mm... :(

It would be interesting to have someone mesure it !! if they are 23, well... dang.. I want a set !! LOL

I have access to the ShimanoTec site as I'm certified by them to the highest level. Everything internally says 23mm, their EP site says 23mm, and since their material used to train employees that sell their products says 23mm I'm sticking with that until I see calipers that prove otherwise.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com