Help me choose a groupset!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jimh

by jimh

I'm in a similar situation.

My understanding is that Campag has issues with BB30 / PF30 and you'll need an adapter for a Shimano crank - what BB "standard" does your bike have ?
Best to do your reasearch !!! (Best I've seen is the Praxis adapters)

Also I assume your bike has the correct holes for putting a wires through for an electronic group-set ?? (mine doesn't)

Slightly off topic was talking to a guy at the local bike shop about a new group set (my bike requires PF30 so it's pretty much SRAM Red atm) and he mentioned that the "spy shot" press releases for a SRAM wireless group should be hitting the net soon .....

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

Just recounted. It's 11-26.

As far as bb and cable routing I have a 2011 Supersix himod frame

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

I've decided red and I'll keep my crank and chain. I found a used group can you help me identify the year?

The brifters have red written at the top horizontally. Then SRAM vertically. Then two horizontal fat grey/white stripes.

The derailleur is a silver body with black arm that had red and grey on the arm

Thanks.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

That describes all Red up to 2011. It hasn't had any significant change until this year.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Don't "upgrade" to (install) a SRAM red titanium front derailleur.

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

Thank you. That is the one. Is $400 good for brakes, shifter with a little scrathes, a red rd and force fd?

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Yeah, be sure to get the Force front derailleur if you're going with SRAM. The Red Black FD is incredibly soft and shifts terribly under load. You'll also want to avoid the OG 1090 cassette as well, it's not all that good on durability or silence. For that matter, the only thing you'd really want Red Black for is the rear shifter, the rest has no benefit over Force. Red Black's a little lighter but that's largely in the cassette, and you won't be getting the weight savings in the chain/cranks/FD anyway.

$400 is a fine price for those bits, shifters alone usually go for upwards of $300/pair. Brakes are around $150/set. RD goes for upward of $150. Force FD is usually about $25. Total there, bout in parts from eBay is around $625. If you can get $400, snap it up!

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

What is red black exactly? I thought it was a special edition of red but it seems like people call all red, red black.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Red Black is what pre-2012 Red has been rebranded to. http://wwwDOTsramDOTcom/sram/road/family/sram-red Take a look there and you'll see what's going on.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

sigismond0 wrote:You'll also want to avoid the OG 1090 cassette as well, it's not all that good on durability or silence.

Ummm bullshit?
You can tune the rear OG1090 casette which is an easy job (and if you search on this forum, templates are already provided to scale), and it will be damn quiet - just as quiet as any other cassette. A tuned OG1090 cassette is quiet.

Durability? You know it's all steel, right? The new one isn't completely steel - in fact part of it is titanium. Tell me, sir, which one lasts longer as a cassette?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

gospastic

by gospastic

Yeah that's a ridiculous statement. Red cassettes last forever.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Ehh, my experience with it wasn't all that great. I guess that puts me in the minority.

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

I cannot comment on the noise or durability but I would like one. A lot of the weight savings from component upgrading is in tht cassette.

Doesn't have the visibility and bling as other bits though. I mean. Do I NEED new components? Do mos of us? I doubt I'm the only one that woul rather take the money that it costs to get a cassette and put it onwards something mOre visible.