Help with Wheel Choices Pls

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dvincere

by dvincere

I want something under $1500 and probably more like $800-$1000. It feels like an odd range to want wheels in, looking things over. I'm a light person at 62-64 kg normally. I also spend a lot of time in the wind and attacking on slopes racing at a respectable level so it's important to balance aero and weight. And I want to be able to train on the wheels in good weather simply because I hate the idea of spending all that money and not getting to enjoy it!

Currently I have a lot of options on the table:
Zipp 101 with White Industries hubs
Rolf Vigors (supposedly faster than the 101 but not sure how awesome that spoke configuration is)
A Kinlin XC279 rim built with WI or 2013 Alchemy
A Pacenti SL23 rim built with WI or 2013 Alchemy
Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL (heavier than I'd want)

Previously I had Boyd Vitesse that were obliterated by a vehicle. They were decent but now I know that they're XC279 rims and feel I could get better value with different hubs.

As much as I love the idea of new Alchemy hubs, I don't think they will ship in time to a builder who can get me them by the start of April for some big races.

What do people suggest? Any recent experiences with Rolf? (Are they better than the 101's? Are they reliable? They seem to have lost a lot of popularity). Can anyone with a Pacenti rim attest to how they compare in aerodynamics to the others? Is there a great option I'm missing?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wadl

by Wadl

Suscribing as I am in the same boat...

I was pretty much set on the 101 but the 520gr rim is annoying me a little...

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I would say go with the Alchemys, but their release date keeps getting pushed back. At first they were saying January, now it's March. So who really knows when they will be released. I think that the Whites are a great option though. They rarely get mentioned on WW simply because they are a bit heavier. They are extremely durable though, and quite easy to service when that time finally does come.
For the rims, I'v heard good things about the Pacenti hoop, all though I haven't gotten to build on any yet.
The Kinlins a good option though. If you wanted something a bit lighter than that, go with the H Plus Son Archetype. It has a Hed Belgium quality finish, and it is quite rigid for its weight.

dvincere

by dvincere

Availability is a problem as the racing here is starting very soon. I'm in the same boat as a lot of people in that I want my 2013 wheels before Battenkill and everything I've read said Alchemy's new spinners won't be available by then. I'm open to other hub suggestions though.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Another hubset worth considering would be the Mig 70/Mag 170 from Tune. It comes in at 245 grams for the hubset, and more importantly they are consistently durable.

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

If you're not going to build the wheels yourself, or have your favorite competent LBS do it for you, then I'm liking the value proposition for the wheels at November Bicycles. Not knocking Zen or anyone else here.
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

campbellrae

by campbellrae

@ Zen - How do you think the Tune hubs would hold up against a heavier rider(I'm about 95kgs)?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Personally I would use a hub that is easy to service. If you are not want a 20H front wheel why not Dura ace 9000 hubs. They may not be the lightest but they are reliable and easy to service. The H+ sons archeptype wouldbe a good choice. However given your weight what would be worng with Velocity A23 and A23 OC (for the rear) with DA 9000 hubs (or 7900 if 10 speed is your thing) bilt with CX-ray spokes and alloy nipples. Weight shold be abot 1535g or lighter if you get light A23's. I sppose the A23 rim may not be as aero however what the measured difference is drag between athe A23 and the archetype or SL23 I do not know. I'm not even sure there is any data to speak of. Hope hubs could be another option Hope Pro3's are ~380g per pair. Goldtec hubs are another option but have narrow rear flange spacings so stiffness may be an issue.

Were do you live? Is there an H+ son distribtor in your country. Why can't you order fromanother country. They have jst arrived back in stock in the U.K. Mst get my order in this week before they sell ot again.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@campbellrae-From what I have seen, the Tunes hold up well to larger riders. I do think you should go with a 24/28 in most cases though (but thats really dependent on rim choice). @bmp has a great point about serviceability though. The Tunes aren't the easiest hubs to service, especially when compared to a T11 or whatnot.