All Around Clinchers- DA, Stans, or something else?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

I used to run 808 Firecrests for racing, but have sold them due to financial reasons. My training wheels are HED Belgians laced to King R45s via Sapim Race spokes 32/32 so they weigh 1795 grams- not very light. Now that I will have one set of wheels I was thinking of getting something lighter/more all around. I don't really trust generic carbon wheels nor would I want to run them all the time. Plus, I can borrow/rent race wheels from my team when I really need em. I'm open to suggestions, but am interested in the following options:

Ultegra 6700- I got these with my EVO for free. Not super light, but 150g lighter than my current setup with lighter rims. Tubeless ready (I have 3 brand new tubeless tires sitting around), durable, and from what I've read decently stiff. Good hubs as well.

DA tubeless- Same reasoning as above, but lighter rims.

Rebuild my current wheels to Stans 340s- Higher spoke count might help a bit. Lighter rim by 70-80grams/rim. Tubeless ready.

American Classic Argent/Mag/tubeless- heard many mixed reviews.

Welcome to other build ideas. In general I'm most concerned about rim weight, durability, and hub quality. I'm not interested in running generic hubs or anything that is maintenance heavy. I like the Kings, but they do have a lot of drag and don't build up the stiffest wheel. As for spokes I don't have a preference as long as they are easy to get/replace.
Last edited by KWalker on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

For bang for the buck the best choice would be to stick with the 6700s. The DA tubeless rims aren't that much lighter, so most of the weight difference between the two are mostly in the hub. The Ultegra hubs are awesome, nearly as good as the DAs.

Doolop

by Doolop

For what its worth...

I built a set of 340 rims to a DT 190 front and 11 speed 350 rear with super comps, alloy nipples and nipple washers.

The set came out to being 1530g and are stiffer and lighter then my cosmic carbone SLRs. They seem to even hold speed better though that could be in part because the hubs are so much better then those of the mavic set.

I think I will be selling my cosmic carbones because I never take them over my stans set.

KWalker

by KWalker

How much do you weigh? I keep hearing differing stories about Stan's rims.

The DA's would be the 2013 model with the wider rims and new 2:1 lacing, not the old version.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

motorthings

by motorthings

i have been thinking about the same types of wheels too...the new DA c24's versus a build of r45 on either stans or the new pacenti sl23.

i loved my old da 7850 clinchers, and haven't seen a custom build that offers the same light weight/strength/aero combination.
tried the AC road tubeless and didn't like the pulsing from the rim seam.

interested to see the other suggestions...

Wadl

by Wadl

KWalker wrote:How much do you weigh? I keep hearing differing stories about Stan's rims.

The DA's would be the 2013 model with the wider rims and new 2:1 lacing, not the old version.

From what I read, the new DA c24 are the only one in the familly not having the wider rims and the 2:1 lacing.

9000 c24 are exactly like the 7900 but with titanium freewheel...

djay001

by djay001

Doolop wrote:For what its worth...

I built a set of 340 rims to a DT 190 front and 11 speed 350 rear with super comps, alloy nipples and nipple washers.

The set came out to being 1530g and are stiffer and lighter then my cosmic carbone SLRs. They seem to even hold speed better though that could be in part because the hubs are so much better then those of the mavic set.

I think I will be selling my cosmic carbones because I never take them over my stans set.

how many spoke front and rear? And this is with the new 340 rim or with the lighter older one?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

You could consider lacing Alpha 340s to Tune Mig 70/Mag 170 hubs. Those hubs have solid, crisp engagement and they build up to be pretty rigid. The total wheelset weight would only be 1230 grams in a 20/24 hole count.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

How much do you weigh, Karsten?

Also, "generic hubs" is a bit vague, but if you're referring to the hubs from BHS for example those are exceedingly low maintenance.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

plpete

by plpete

Wadl wrote:From what I read, the new DA c24 are the only one in the familly not having the wider rims and the 2:1 lacing.

9000 c24 are exactly like the 7900 but with titanium freewheel...

I own the 7900 C24 wheels and they also have the titanium freewheel.

KWalker, looks like you're really set on running tubeless, especially since you have the extra tires on hand :lol:
I feel like it's really hard to beat the C24 wheels as an all-rounder, especially for their very light rim (think less rotational weight). The rim is a super thin aluminum with a carbon overlay for lightweight and strength purposes. I had my DA C24 wheels for a year now and have been very happy with them. No issues @ my 175lbs. I also have an extra pair of C24 wheels (RS80) that feature the same rim as the DA version with an Ultegra hub that I need to get rid off...

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Are the newer Alpha 340 rims stiffer than the older version. I had a pair of the older stans 340's built up on alchemy hubs but found them to be very flexy.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@mnmasotto- The new 340s are quite a bit stiffer than the old ones. They are spec'd at 770 grams for the rimset, but I have found they usually come in slightly over than. We did see some spoke hole cracking issues on the old ones, but the new ones have been issue free (knock on wood).

uraqt

by uraqt

I was/am not happy with my Stans, I got the one last set of the old design and think that the sidewall is not straight. I built one and it pulsed when breaking, had a pro builder build the 2nd one and it pulses too.

I never had Mavic or DT rim pulse

C

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

uraqt wrote:I was/am not happy with my Stans, I got the one last set of the old design and think that the sidewall is not straight. I built one and it pulsed when breaking, had a pro builder build the 2nd one and it pulses too.

I never had Mavic or DT rim pulse

C

I really wouldn't let the Gen 1 340s ruin your impression of Stans rims. Admittedly, they were pretty sub-par initially, but they are much different rim at this point.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Nothing wrong with the like of Novatec A291SBSL and F482SBSL. Also nothing probably wrong with Bitex or BHS hubs. The name difference in performance between these hubs and there more expensive conterparts is in peoples head. that is not to say that the expensive DA, CK and other high end hubs do not have there place, they do bt many of the cheaper hbs do the job nearly as well and at a fraction of the price.