Ridley Helium Questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rexrobichaux

by rexrobichaux

Hey everyone- longgggg time lurker- first time poster :beerchug: . I have been pinching pennies for sometime to order a Ridley Helium as a true WW bike build. To make a long story short I recently found a 11 frameset as NOS and bought it. It finally came tonight and after unpacking it the first thought was "It's light- but not THAT light". Well my trusty scale confirmed what I thought. I have attached some pictures but basically the weights are as follows (Size M / 56.5 frame)

Bare frame ONLY- no seatpost topper, bottle cage bolts, etc: 1,017gr

Frame with bolts, topper, etc: 1,159gr

Frameset with fork, bolts, topper: 1,540gr

Do these weights look in line with the norm? I was under the impression that a medium sized Helium was a "Sub 950 gram" frame... completely stripped mine is relatively far from it. I suppose ~70 grams is well within the margin of error but I was just surprised as the frame appears to be closee in weight to my 2010 Wilier Izoard than I had expected (just over 1100gr). Anyone have experience with these frames? Thanks for all of your input folks! :thumbup:
-Rex

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Sounds about right. Looks to have about 100g worth of paint on it, compared to some of the other more minimal Helium paint schemes.

All reports are that this is a fantastic frame. Stiff and comfortable. Build that sucker up and ride the hell out of it!
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rexrobichaux

by rexrobichaux

Thanks Jmilliron! Will do- hope to build this bad boy up and get it in the 14s. My 170+lb *** needs all the help I can get. I'll post an update on here to show how it goes. Should be a great frame for some of the mountain rides around here (SW Colorado).

brettmess24

by brettmess24

I just built my 2012 Helium white/black paint small frame, as delivered uncut 990g.

Uncut fork 406 g.

1396g total

I cut a total of 38 grams from seat mast and fork so far.

I wanted the black/white but was all sold out. That frame has to have the least amount of paint.

Funny how heavy the bolts are for the cages and seat mast top, replaced those with ti at half the weight, another easy 10 grams.

My helium is right at 15 lbs.

Should be very easy to make lighter.

I just can't wait to ride it! Only action is the Giant TCR and coach Troy. :cry:

SL58

by SL58

I built my 2009 helium to 12.5Lb (with 38mm tubulars and DA7800).
Toss the seatmast hardware, use carbon FD clamp and other light components
and it will be WW enough. It is long and comfortable, not quirky
like many short TT lightweight frames and if you ride it the way it is supposed
to be ridden you will love it.

cmd

by cmd

1,017g for a 56cm frame is pretty darn light IMO, especially with a really nice paint job. The Helium has an excellent weight/stiffness ratio and you did save a bit on sans seat colar/post. My matte finish XS with all non-WW parts (SRAM Force + Easton) comes in just over 14lbs. VERY solid and very impressed with its performance.

brettmess24

by brettmess24

Would love to see a pic of that 12.5 lb Helium :shock:

benolium

by benolium

Great looking bike! I wonder if Ridley subtracts the ISP weight like Wilier likes to do on the Cento 1 SL? Either way, ride it :thumbup:

SL58

by SL58

Would love to see a pic of that 12.5 lb Helium :shock:

Check out "Slammed stems" topic.

download/file.php?id=47310&mode=view

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Sub 950 is without the ISP, which I think it should be pretty close to.

ave

by ave

SL58,
Is that really 5.7 kg as pictured? with pedals?

SL58

by SL58

Yes, with pedals (tricked out Speedplays) and one bottle cage (but no water bottle).
Also Token Ti/Alu cassette, chaincatcher, Campy SR Ti cranks and all the rest of it as pictured.
Do not try this at home :D

MaxDaddy

by MaxDaddy

I've got the Flandrien edition. Total weight is 15.5 pounds, size medium. Could have gone sub 15 if I made some choices for non aesthetic reasons.

Best bike I've ever been on. Ride the crap out of they thing.

ave

by ave

Amazing all these small savings must add up, because I'd say lowish 6kg from the pic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie

I had the exact frame but a L frameset .. well I still have it , its on consignment in the shop...

Awesome frameset , the only problem I had was it wasn't stiff enough. It is brilliant on hills. Mine was set up wit Campag Super record 11 , shamals , look ti carbon blades full ritchey super logic.
If I had the coin I would still have her to take out for hills days
2012 KUOTA KOM Team Edition Campag SR11 .....My mistress
2012 RIDLEY HELIUM being built up ....