hand pump after a flat

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

project3

by project3

Have you all been wondering after a flat, you use your hand pump to re-inflate, what psi you will get?

I did a simple test at home. Fully un-inflate the air from the tube. pump with lezyne road drive till my arms get tired and give up, use a digital pressure gauge and i only get 50psi - pump 120 times. Rest for a while, pump another 20 times till i tired and i only get 56psi.

My conclusion is to bring a CO2 systems :lol:
Attachments
IMG_3230.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Great info. Thanks for taking the time to post this!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

You gave up after 140 pumps?!?!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

pdmtong

by pdmtong

hand pumps suck. the only reason I bring one is to partially inflate the tube so I know it is not pinched, then I use C02 (carry two cartridges just in case the first one fizzles). some people blow into the tube instead of using a hand pump...I never was good at that

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I use a Lezyne Carbon Drive, it is small, compact and has an inflator hose that allows you to inflate tyres without pressure on the valve stem.
I swapped to this from CO2 cartridges as it is LIGHTER than a single cartridge and control valve. Also can be used multiple times. On long solo rides it means carrying less weight with the ability to deal with more than 1 flat. An extremely rare occurrence, but sometimes when bad luck strikes it seems to do so in a big way.
The Lezyne seems to pump up to 110 Psi pretty easily. About 100-120 pumps and you are ready to go.
Might take a minute or two longer, but nothing significant.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

project3

by project3

my lezyne after 120 pump feels very hot 160 pump can feel the heat.

My suggestion to you all is uninflate your tube, use your hand pump, if you do not have a digital gauge, use a floor pump with meter to check.

agreed with "pdmtong" suggestion.

pdmtong wrote:hand pumps suck. the only reason I bring one is to partially inflate the tube so I know it is not pinched, then I use C02 (carry two cartridges just in case the first one fizzles). some people blow into the tube instead of using a hand pump...I never was good at that

highwater

by highwater

I carry a Lezyne Pressure Carbon Drive - it's very compact and fits in a jersey pocket. Using a digital pressure gauge at home, I have tested it to achieve 90psi in 200 strokes. Not too bad.

sungod

by sungod

as above, the lezyne cf one, i got the add-on pen gauge as i'm useless as estimating pressure from pinching the tyre

the metal end on the pump does get very hot, especially in warm weather, i wet my mitt to help cool it, or if i'm not in a hurry just enjoy the scenery while it cools down a bit

metal

by metal

With a toppeak master blaster, I reckon I can get close to 80psi on first go, and 100 on the second if I want to.

They really are very good pumps, and the reason you only see old skool riders using them is because they know what a proper frame length pump can do. All the new riders with co2 cartridges don't know, thus don't understand :P

And a frame length pump costs $0 per inflation after buying the pump :) (Just don't give it to your mates to use to pump up, for sure they will bend in backwards if given the chance. I'd rather pump the mates tube up than risk them breaking the pump due to hopeless pumping skillz)

Cheers,
metal

sawyer

by sawyer

No way can any of the Lezyne minipumps hit 110psi easily.

It takes a lot of effort to get to 90-95psi, but it's doable. They are good pumps.

The problem is it's slow. It's ok if it's a solo training ride with nothing to rush back for, but for some of us every 10 minutes is precious.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

quattrings

by quattrings

It takes about 160-180 pumps to reach 100 psi on my lezyne road drive cfh. After that it's still very little effort to get higher pressures.

Wouldn't give this pump up ever. :beerchug:

angrylegs

by angrylegs

Came to this conclusion some time ago. Although I never tested what sorts of psi I was getting per amount of time with a hand pump, I knew I didn't like the results or the space a hand pump was taking up. Switched to CO2 and never looked back. I don't get a lot of flats, so ymmv, but even if I got more than a couple a year is still stick with CO2.

On the pinching thing, I'm able to do a small burst of CO2 to check for pinching etc and, if I'm satisfied, finish inflation. Doing that I find still inflates the tire enough, although I often have an extra cartridge and tube.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

quattrings wrote:It takes about 160-180 pumps to reach 100 psi on my lezyne road drive cfh. After that it's still very little effort to get higher pressures.

Wouldn't give this pump up ever. :beerchug:

That's ridiculous. The Specialized 4 Force pump does easily in under 50 pumps.

Tip: pump the tire when it's off the frame.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Svetty

by Svetty

Not sure about all this hand pumping....... :lol: