Schwalbe ZX deteriorating sidewall (clincher)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gb103

by gb103

Hi, been using this clincher tyre for a year or so and been very happy performance wise. Unfortunately every tyre even after a couple of hundred miles develops a loose thread that starts to peel off around the tyre sidewall. It's very annoying and I am beginning to loose my confidence in these tyres. Had anybody else witnessed this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

My Duranos made it a year and a half before the same thing happened.

Liggero

by Liggero

same here with ultremos ZX. Won't buy them anymore. Gonna switch to michelin pro 4 service course after ultremos ZX die. mine are 1800Km.
Happy Trails !!!

project3

by project3

I have th same problem. So far done about 1000km.

ticou

by ticou

Same here, on the back wheel. Mind you they were nice n fast, and I did run them at 130 psi on cruddy city streets most of the time.

Liggero

by Liggero

I found out that once they loose one full circunference length of thread. they loose nno more thread, so no problems with that anymore. My worries were that my 50g tubes scape between tire and rim and explode when using ultremos zx... gonna switch to michelin for my next tires.
Happy Trails !!!

airwise

by airwise

Same problems here with the ZX's with coloured bands on. The plain black have been fine.

ninjanoir78

by ninjanoir78

same problem here on my plain black
Ninja

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

Yes. Recently replaced with gp's. After rides I would sometimes have to unwind a stray thread from being wrapped around my hub.

maddog 2

by maddog 2

the sidewalls on my Ultremos bulged out strangely when in the Pyrenees - had to chuck them. Looked like a design fault to me.

Now on Vittorias or tubeless, depending on which wheelset I choose.

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

This is a problem with all of the vulcanized clinchers I have seen. Cracks along the tread and threads pulling out of the bead junction. Never saw any sort of the same problem on open tubular style.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Svetty

by Svetty

Mostly seen this with GP4000s.....

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

gb103 wrote:Hi, been using this clincher tyre for a year or so and been very happy performance wise. Unfortunately every tyre even after a couple of hundred miles develops a loose thread that starts to peel off around the tyre sidewall. It's very annoying and I am beginning to loose my confidence in these tyres. Had anybody else witnessed this?

This and many other problems are a longstanding issue with Schwalbe's road tyres since the day they decided to buy the Swallow factory in Thailand and make money in a hurry.

The solution for the manufacturer is easy enough but apparently they're struggling implementing it for some odd reason.
To my mind, Schwalbe is a company that really has no scruples when it comes to using the customer as a testbed.
Their better products are the old Swallow ones but they're systematicically phasing them out of production.
As a matter of fact the shortcomings of the Swallow products, loosening threads on the sidewalls for instance, are simply ported over to their more adventurous own products.

Don't even get me started about the numerous years of trial and error of their Ulremo range using you, the buying public, as a gullible target. And they still keep messing it up.......

No love, no respect, no nothing from me that's for sure.

In fact some of the original Swallow tyres were not bad at all, even with same flaws the Milano was a great, cheap tubular. It's gone now.

Shame, shame, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

project3

by project3

so far no casualty or any disaster happen right? Has anyone check with schwalbe customer service?

gb103

by gb103

project3 wrote:so far no casualty or any disaster happen right? Has anyone check with schwalbe customer service?

I read on a UK forum that schwalbe UK explained that the loosening of thread of the sidewall was normal and did not affect the integrity of the tyre. Not sure I want thread hanging of my tyres in future, going to give these a miss from now on. Just installed some michelin pro 4 see how these fair.

I agree with fdegrove their quality control of the ultremo zx is non existent. A few years ago I had a batch where their side wall were deforming. It felt like riding a wheel that was out of true. Should have known better from past experience :oops:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com