Storck Fenomalist Di2 or Look 695 SR?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FatAndSlow

by FatAndSlow

Hello!

Currently, I'm riding a LaPierre Xelius 700 and I love the bike. However, I got a chance to buy a Storck Fenomalist Di2 or a Look 695 SR with a great discount! I've never tested any of them, just read loads of reviews and watched a lot of pictures;-)

Which one would you choose, and why? I'm totally lost and really need your help!

Thanks!

morrisond

by morrisond

If your a big guy you'll love the Storck - I'm a big guy - I love Storcks - Every Look in comparison I have tried felt noodly.

Just M2C.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

angrylegs

by angrylegs

You should find your nearest dealers (even if they are far - take a drive) and test ride them, if possible. If not, you pretty much have to read lots of reviews and go with your gut.

I've owned a couple Looks and a few things in between. Nothing for me handles quite the way a Look does and they've been my favorite bikes, so I choose Look no problem at all, without hesitation (just bought a 586 SL). Sadly, I do not have experience with the 695 SR. I have my own ideas for the crank so did not choose it. Reviews I've read have said its quite stiff. I can't however compare a newer Look to a Storck, never having ridden one, so I suppose I'm no help lol.

Probably you're going to be happy either way. Both are pretty nice bikes!

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I just sold a Storck Femonalist size 51. I normally ride a size 53 cm and found the storck size 51 to be too large. The geometry on the storck is unlike any other bike i have every owned. It had a long top tube and a somewhat steep rake. It was definitely the stiffest frameset i have ever owned. The handly and high speed stability was very good. The frame weighted 1000 grams in size 51. I though that was fairly heavy especially since it is listed at 890 grams. I would have no reservations buying another if i was looking for a frameset with racing geometry and handling. I have never riden a Look so i can only comment on the storck

Wcl4

by Wcl4

I had a 2012 fenomalist and sold it pretty quicky but kept my 695 (non sr). I sold that fenomalist because i felt that front fork (stiletto 1.125") was skittish and didnt like the handling on 40+ mph descents. I also never thought the power output was that special, and I've owned or own the bmc slr/impec, wilier cento1/zero7, dogma2, 695. The non sr 695 handling feels more stable (than fenomalist), feels unflappable no matter how hard I push (granted I don't push particularly hard), and is more compliant with the soft elastomer installed in the seat post. I'd take the 695 over the fenomalist any day, especially if the price was about the same. My opinion only.

roadytracky

by roadytracky

Never ridden a Storck. Have ridden a Look 695. Not sure if it was the SR or not. It was the Mondrian model if that helps. Anyway, don't worry about the stiffness of the 695. Plenty stiff at the BB and stiff riding as well. Maybe too much for me, but I only rode it for an afternoon. It had Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR clinchers - not sure if that was part of the stiff ride or not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

I'm currently riding both bikes as my first and second option (around 4K km on the Look 695 SR (XL), 1K on the Storck (59 cm)). In my opinion the bikes feel very different despite ridden in similar setups.

The Look is very comfortable on the rear (riding the grey elastomer in the Ergo seatpost) and adequately stiff on the front. The fork feels very direct but also somewhat uncomfortable not so say harsh. The overall ride quality is nevertheless decent. The bike feels very responsive, agile, light and delivers a good road feel being comfortable the same time. I frequently use the bike for longer outings (also in the Alps) and never felt beaten up after 5+ hours in the saddle.
On the downside, the frame/fork/drivetrain/stem system integration tends to be noisy (despite being properly set up). Replacing even small (proprietary) parts (e.g. chain ring bolts) can turn out to be expensive as well (I paid 80 € for 6 of those bolts). In terms of ride qualities, descending doesn't seem to be the bike biggest strength, though still being a lot better than my Cervélo S1 in that area.
To sum it up: The Look is a great allrounder without real weaknesses. But it isn't as spectacular of a ride than the looks and price tag may imply. I mainly use it for long training rides.

The Storck is somehow the exact opposite. It looks like a boring dentist's bike but is in fact a real thoroughbred. Stiffness is king in all areas with comfort just being ok (I use the Storck 185 seatpost which is just very good and saves the Fenomalist from being uncomfortable). Descending is just phenomenal (mainly thanks to head tube stiffness you feel like riding on rails), as is ascending (it's still very light!). The overall feel is more "stable" than the Look and it doesn't feel as agile. As I just have 1K km on the bike, I may still feel some new bike sensations, but I guess that the Storck will be my goto race bike and used when the hard efforts are on schedule.

I'd recommend both bikes anytime, though. As the Storck is significantly cheaper than the Look in mainland Europe, I'd probably go for the Storck if I had to choose.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.