Shortening Syntace P6 Hiflex

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ricerocket

by ricerocket

I wonder if it's okay just to hacksaw this, I can only find them in 400mm. And not only to be a weight weenie, but I have a 367mm post right now, and it actually bottoms out (I think) on the bottle cage bolts. Min insertion is listed at 90mm, so I'd be cutting to ~270mm.

Not sure if the ovalized flex shaft has some special properties to it that I shouldn't mess with.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

cut it, the section of post past the min. insert mark has no bearing on either the frame or seatpost.

It's a bike, not the space shuttle, it'll be fine.

tuba

by tuba

can you please weigh the section you trim?

thanks

fa63

by fa63

Syntace has a chart on their website for the P6 Hiflex that indicates whether or not you can shorten the seatpost.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

fa63 wrote:Syntace has a chart on their website for the P6 Hiflex that indicates whether or not you can shorten the seatpost.

Huh, I've been to the site multiple times and didn't notice it. Thanks for pointing that out. Looks like I have to order one from Germany then.

michel2

by michel2

Well this is the ( useless) link to there advice );
http://syntace.com/misc/popup/detail.cfm?pk=966

ricerocket

by ricerocket

fa63 wrote:Syntace has a chart on their website for the P6 Hiflex that indicates whether or not you can shorten the seatpost.

Just a followup here.

I posed this question to the guys at Syntace-US, who forwarded this to the German HQ, apparently there was something lost in translation.

The chart means shows the sizes available from the factory (delivery condition on the chart), and "can be shortened" means that it's not available on that size, but you can shorten to that size from the original length if you want. So the 480mm can be shortened to 300 or 400mm (duh, not sure why they had to tell us which sizes you can shorten to if it's infinite).

So the real answer is, they all can be shortened.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com