Minimalist tool kit / bag

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

winky

by winky

I'm looking for some ideas of what tools, tubes, pumps, etc. you guys pack on your road/race bike. What is THE essential Weight Weenie minimalist tools & things to pack? And what kind of bag do you use, if any bag at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Brandonnie

by Brandonnie

All in back pockets. Tube co2 and tire lever. Done.

mattydubs

by mattydubs

Old crank bros tool. Patch kit, boot, tube, Lezyne pump. Rolled up in waxed canvas and shoved in a back pocket, of course. Saddle bags are for freds.

Murphs

by Murphs

It's funny how saddle bags are for "Freds" (Hubbards) yet every World Tour pro I have seen training without a support car uses one

I like the Topeak Wedge (The smallest one)

Kastrup

by Kastrup

I bring the following:

Tube
1 tyre lever - never need it myself but i always bring it along in case someone can't manage to get their tyres off.
PT patch kit
CO2
Small mini pump
Multitool - i have a 9-speed quicklink attached as i also bring this on my mtb training rides.

The tube and lever go in one of those small continental bags: http://www.google.dk/imgres?imgurl=http ... AQ&dur=384

The rest goes in a lezyne bag that i put in my jersey pocket. Have been looking for a nice saddlebag to carry all my things but haven't quite found the ideal one yet.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

djconnel

by djconnel

Murphs wrote:It's funny how saddle bags are for "Freds" (Hubbards) yet every World Tour pro I have seen training without a support car uses one

I like riding with a big saddle bag. Chain tool, patch kit, spare tube, hex tool, lightweight cable lock, boot, maybe my phone. Pockets are for food, or for storage of clothing needed while rolling.

Fashion weenies who want to ride as if they're followed by a support vehicle are often found at the side of the road on their cell phones calling for a pick-up.

eric

by eric

For training I use the smallest Specialized bag and carry a tube, patches, boot (piece of Tyvek from old race number), master link, levers, tool. Pump on the bike. I often ride in remote areas with spotty cell coverage.

The bag and contents weigh about 300g and the Lezyne pump is about 90g.

Putting the gear on the bike frees up room in my jersey pockets and ensures that I do not forget the gear. Each bike has its own set which always stay on the bike.

For races I use a tiny Continental bag that holds a tube, levers and Co2 and straps between the frame rails.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=59409

djconnel

by djconnel

Cell coverage or not, it's a mark of shame to have someone spend 90 minutes driving a 1500 kg vehicle 100 km to pick you up because you didn't want to carry a 50 gram chain tool, or mar the pro look of your bike. And around here there's enough bike theft I really like having the lightweight cable.

ProudDaddy

by ProudDaddy

Been doing the SPY bag in rear center pocket for years. Ride 10k per year and never had to phone for a ride other than injury. Of course I usually ride with teammates and have many times had to borrow something. SPY bag includes CO2, tube, allen tool, 2 levers, patch kit, small rubber boot and a bit of elec tape. Sometimes I bring 2 CO2/tubes if small group or riding long solo. If on tubulars I forego the tube and bring a spare TUFO and pitstop, center pocket. Left pocket gets food/fuel. Right pocket gets phone and zip lock with ID/cash/credit card/ins card. Extra gear stuffed where it'll fit. If on my MTB I usually use a camel back, put everything in that including chain tool, extra master/links.

tuba

by tuba

i would suggest buying a pump that actually inflates a tire to 100 psi easily and skip the co2 unless you are racing
i use the Lezyne HP Drive (medium size) the hose is a great idea, it makes it so much easier to pump to a higher psi

i was able to really reduce the weight in my back pocket by using a set of action tec ti allen keys and a swiss tech utilikey
i have only used the tools a couple times in 20,000+ miles but they are nice to have just in case
Attachments
P1010518.jpg

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

Murphs wrote:It's funny how saddle bags are for "Freds" (Hubbards) yet every World Tour pro I have seen training without a support car uses one

I like the Topeak Wedge (The smallest one)

+1
All the people I know who are paid to race bicycles use a saddle bag when training.

rich00

by rich00

I've gone the half cut water bottle or on longer rides shove everything in the back pockets. The reason being saddle bags have scuffed the inside of my shorts. I've tried various sizes and this still happens..

F45

by F45

I use the Bontrager Draftpack

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com