16 spoke hubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tigoose

by tigoose

I have a 16 spoke gipiemme rimmed wheelset doing nothing. The rims are al 40mm that weigh inxs of 610gms each.
I have often wondered if these 16 hole shimano hubs are worth building into some lightet carbon tubs.
I weigh 78kg and dropping and ride for fitness.
Could i have any opinions on this please?
Regards

tigoose

by tigoose

Sorry i posted outside the appropriate thread. Please feel free to move this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Phill P

by Phill P

Shimano and Campy build wheels up with 16 spokes-so I see no reason why you can't do it.

I'd suggest something deep so you get good rim stiffness to help spread the load over the spokes better. Have a look at the deep chinese rim thread.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

Gregorio

by Gregorio

A little off topic but you can pick up bontrager branded DT Swiss 16h hubs dirt cheap, practically free.
Those might be a better option to build around.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Those wheels are very similar to the old Campagnolo Shamal, aren't they?
The Campa rims were quite a bit lighter though weighing 500g each. If the hubs of the Gipiemmes are from the same era then I'm pretty sure they'll weigh the proverbial ton, use no separators in the bearings and may be limited to 8 speed in case of Shimano freewheel version.
They can (could?) be converted to Campa 10/11S or Shimano Ultegra using a Corima (not sure Corima still manufactures it) or Novatech freewheel. You basically need to find out the axle diameter of the hubs. I think it's the same one as used in the lower-end Campa wheels, can't seem to remember exactly how much it was.

They do not ride too bad though. The old Shamals were and still are great wheels. No need to be afraid of the low spoke count either. Not sure what Gipiemme used but the Shamal came with Sapim CX spoke wich are very strong bladed spokes.

Hope this helps, ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I'm sure a shamel rear rim is more than 500g. I weighed one recently and all I remember it was less than 550g. The hub was nearly 400g though!

16 spoke wheel will always have a heavy rims which is why I don't like them even though I like the look alot. If you the OP can find a suitable rim at the right price then why not give a go.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

As it happens I still have a bare rim in the cellar from a 16 spoke wheel. I guess I must have been lucky, it weighs 500g spot on.

Used to ride a 16R and 12F set Shamal occasionally many years ago. Fine wheels.

Ciao, ;)

gummee

by gummee

I was given a Cosmic rear hub a bunch of years ago. 16h. I've been sitting on it trying to decide what to do with it.

Maybe an 80mm deep rim... Now that they're more affordable than the custom-drilled Zipps that were offered before we 'discovered' China.

M

tigoose

by tigoose

Hi guys
Thanx a lot for the optimistic replies.
Fdegrove you are spot on as the gipiemme aims are techno 416. While they do ride fine enough as i am still on a 90's steel bike i am interested in using the hubs with my 8 speed ultegra group.
At my weight what carbon rim depth would i be looking at 50-60mm?
Btw if anyone has a recommendation as to which exact rims I'd be extremely grateful.
They will be tubular...

tigoose

by tigoose

I should clarify that i think it best to go tubular with carbon rims unless someone has experience with deep clinchers with say basalt brake track.
Regards

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Gipiemme themselve have rims that could meet your demand (tub + basalt/cfk mix) but are just a tad deeper than the 416s at 40.5mm I think.

No idea on how to get a hold of them though.

Ciao, ;)

tigoose

by tigoose

Thanx Fdegrove
I'll check it out. Lighter the better though

Krackor

by Krackor

Gregorio wrote:A little off topic but you can pick up bontrager branded DT Swiss 16h hubs dirt cheap, practically free.
Those might be a better option to build around.

Gregorio, where can I find these hubs available? There are a few on ebay but they look old.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com