new build advice

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ihanatom

by ihanatom

I'm planning a new build 29er hardtail for XC marathons and one day, the Tour Divide race.
Must be reliable before being light. I have the fortunate opportunity to really splash out
so I was thinking of some special hubs on Enve rims.
Choices are:-

XTR
Royce (from the UK)
Kappius

The disadvantage of non XTR is that I can't use the XTR rotors on the other two 6 bolt hubs.
What should I do? Use XT rotors on the cool hubs or stick with pure XTR?

cheers,
Tom

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Get a centre lock to 6 bolt adapter and use XTR hubs. They are alot lighter and I canot see why they are not reliable.

To be fair to Shimano SLX is pretty good groupset. XTR is twice the price for a little less weight. So on that though I bought new XTR cranks recently and am about to buy some XTR hubs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

michel2

by michel2

I second that, shimano hubs are excellent ! An keping it simple rules !(;

skywalker268

by skywalker268

The nice thing about the shimano hubs is that they are fully rebuildable, because they still use loose ball bearings.

If you want reliability in a cartridge bearing system, its hard to beat chris king.

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

^ +1 for the Chris King hubs, if your going to spend so much on enve rims, may as well get really nice hubs. The Kings are very reliable as well.
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

CK hubs make XTR hubs look lie good value. I'll e using XTR hubs in my new MTB hubs when I decided I can afford them. I never decide I can afford CK hubs. I have a baby to feed.

freeriderxy

by freeriderxy

..on 2000 bucks rims take only the best hubs.... Extralite...or Tune.. :)

..anything else will be inappropriate...
BE a bike raider ,NOT a net surfer!
https://www.strava.com/dashboard

socratease

by socratease

In the US, King and XTR hubs are nearly the same price. I'd recommend the kings for their superior sealing. If you're concerned about the freehub body holding up, you can always spring for the stainless steel one. Also, the cost difference between hubs is pretty small, especially considering they'll go on enves.

ihanatom

by ihanatom

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I must admit to doing zero maintenance on my cartridge bearings (and they're in poor condition)
compared to years ago when I used to strip my hubs down regularly.

I've looked online but not seen any 6 bolt to centrelock adaptors, only the reverse, anyway, I would think
the centrelock ring would have to be drilled out?

cheers,

Tom

TheRookie

by TheRookie

You can't do a 6 bolt to CL adaptor, there is no room, only CL to use a 6 bolt disc.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

skywalker268

by skywalker268

ihanatom wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone.

I must admit to doing zero maintenance on my cartridge bearings (and they're in poor condition)
compared to years ago when I used to strip my hubs down regularly.

I've looked online but not seen any 6 bolt to centrelock adaptors, only the reverse, anyway, I would think
the centrelock ring would have to be drilled out?

cheers,

Tom

Tom,

I bet you would enjoy the CK hubs that much more. The nice thing about them other than the excellently sealed cartridge bearings (which are fully rebuildable, by the way) is that the freehub is CK's awesome ringdrive. Basically it works like a car's transmission with 2 beveled gears that get engaged by a spring. No more broken pawls, and you get the awesome 3 degree engagement that CK and Industry Nine are famous for.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

As mentinoed, the CKs are a great option. They aren't super light by any means though. If you wanted a lighter hubset, check out the lineup from Tune. They make an awesome product, with consistent durability.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Hope hubs. I have been using these for years. Mine are lowly XC Pro's and the rear weighs quite a bit but they have been faultless. Hope Pro 3 are what 380g/pair. That's not heavy and they are reliable. Pro2's are bit heavier and a bit cheaper but no less relaible.

DT Swiss 240, Hope and XTR are my favorite MTB hubs.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I've had some success sourcing NOS XTR hubs from ebay at good prices.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ihanatom

by ihanatom

Just to update this thread, I actually went for a full XTR build with XTR through-axle hubs front and rear on Stans Crest 29 rims.
Frame is a Pivot Les XL in orange.
Fox kashima 100mm fork
XTR triple chainset with 180mm cranks
Ultegra 12-28 cassette (I'm often in bottom gear on the steepest local trails so will have to go to a 32 for Alpine tours but I love the close ratio spacing for commuting and shorter rides)
Thomson stem and post
Selle Italia SLR saddle
Niner carbon bar, Ergon GS1 grips
Wheels as above with Racing Ralphs running tubeless.

Dunno how heavy it is, its definitely a bit heavier than my previous mtb - a 15 year old Merlin 26", xtr, v brakes, but is way faster and more fun (and a big leap in technology).
To be honest, riding this 29er is amazing, I'm addicted!

Tom