Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

eric wrote:Did you check the EN test results for the aluminium rims you are riding now? Or your frame or handlebars? Yea, I thought not. I haven't either.

The only EN test results I have seen have been for a made in China frame that I bought recently. My Cervelos didn't come with them. Neither did the Reynolds carbon rims I had built into wheels. And of course I have no idea what the EN tests actually test, if they are valid or useless, or if they are easily gamed.

I don't think that there are more than a couple of people here, all of whom are in the industry, who could make sense of an EN or any other certification. And they know enough about CF engineering that they probably don't need the test results to know if a CF part is well made.

The rest of us make our decisions based on the company's reputation and the reports of other people who have bought stuff from them. There's plenty of information here and on other sites to allow one to make a reasonably informed decision about FarSports products, considering that we are talking about bike wheels and not an aircraft frame. If you're not comfortable with that there are plenty of other vendors to choose from.

No we aren't talking about an aircraft frame or other machines alike, but we are talking about the contact I have with the road when I'm doing 55mph. I'm sorry that I feel the need to ask a couple questions to feel safe about a wheelset that I have not been 100% sold on based on the info I have read. Dont act like I am the only one who is asking questions about the durability and performance about these wheels. I also go by what others report back with, but when I see a handful of bad experiences, it makes me want to dig a little bit more. Maybe I took your tone the wrong way here, but there are 12 pages of info in this thread alone and not all of it is good, so excuse me for wanting to ask some questions.

merlin6014

by merlin6014

Bianchi10 wrote:No we aren't talking about an aircraft frame or other machines alike, but we are talking about the contact I have with the road when I'm doing 55mph. I'm sorry that I feel the need to ask a couple questions to feel safe about a wheelset that I have not been 100% sold on based on the info I have read. Dont act like I am the only one who is asking questions about the durability and performance about these wheels. I also go by what others report back with, but when I see a handful of bad experiences, it makes me want to dig a little bit more. Maybe I took your tone the wrong way here, but there are 12 pages of info in this thread alone and not all of it is good, so excuse me for wanting to ask some questions.

I think your right to ask questions before buying (I certainly did) but your only going to find out if their good or not by reading real experiences about them on here and there is massive threads on plenty of other forums as well. Like you said not all experiences are good but the vast majority seem to be and like most Chinese companies they seem to be improving QC all the time - it just depends on wether you want to take a gamble or not. For $600 odd bux I thought why the hell not? It all comes out of the same factories anyway, the hubs are brand name as are the spokes. If your the type who likes more piece of mind (and I'm not saying you are) probably better off with spending a little more on Reynolds. I certainly don't feel there will be any catastrophic failure on these rims though - but you should certainly keep researching/asking questions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

I'm not being rude, just pointing out the absurdity of asking for an EN cert when you don't know what it means. The fact that you haven't bothered to ask about one for any of your other equally safety critical bike parts shows how pointless it is.

I think that it is unlikely that rims would fail in a way that did anything worse than make you call for a ride. I have had a number of aluminium rims fail and I've always been able to complete the ride. When some Zipp rims were failing some years ago there were pics of broken rims but no reports of serious injury.

But if you're going to be worrying about them, then buy bike parts that won't make you worry.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

I wasn't asking for an EN certificate or proof of anything. My source was simply stating the fact that the bigger name companies can show testing and how they did where as small companies dont have that. That meaning, they have been tested and proven to be "worthy" or beneficial to a certain degree. I have never looked at an EN certificate and to be honest i never knew what it was until he brought it up (Still couldn't tell you the details of it). I understand what you are saying though. I will continue to do some research from those who have both positive and negative experiences.

thank you.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

So who is your source?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

hiro11

by hiro11

Bianchi10 wrote:I wasn't asking for an EN certificate or proof of anything. My source was simply stating the fact that the bigger name companies can show testing and how they did where as small companies dont have that. That meaning, they have been tested and proven to be "worthy" or beneficial to a certain degree. I have never looked at an EN certificate and to be honest i never knew what it was until he brought it up (Still couldn't tell you the details of it). I understand what you are saying though. I will continue to do some research from those who have both positive and negative experiences.

thank you.

I have a third party EN test certificate for my Chinese generic frame. It includes specific information about the tests performed, who performed them and how many cycles. This may in fact be irrelevant. All I can say is that personally my frame has been rock solid and appears to be very high quality in it's manufacture.

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi All, I would love some opinions on these wheels ... http://www.farsports.cn/ViewProduct.aspx?id=756 ... thanks

Juggler

by Juggler

Why are they only V-brake compatible? Enlighten me... :)
2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

trillo1111

by trillo1111

Hi, hope it's ok to post a question in more than one place here?
I'm looking for advice... I'm looking to buy some carbon clinchers, and was leaning towards the farsports 38mm by 23mm wide (apparently it's their "cyclocross" version - 430g, just not listed for some reason), they are a little more V than U shaped, but still the profiles look pretty good. However, the new 50x24 farsports rim looks really good, bit more U shape than the 25, and still around 490-500grams (or the new 50x23). So, I'm debating mixing a 38mm front with a 50mm rear. Seems Enve is doing this with their SES3.4 (35 front 45 rear). The 50 rear should be a bit more aero than the 38, and being U shape should be relatively stable in crosswinds - and being on the rear should be easier to handle. However, I've never ridden more than a 26mm deep alum rim, and I hear rumours of a rougher ride with the deeper rims (the U shape may help?), and some recommendations for lightweight riders to avoid rims deeper than 40mm? I'm only 140lbs, ride pretty equal mix between flats and hills, they are going on a Felt F2. Help? Thanks!

trillo1111

by trillo1111

[quote="KLabs"]Hi All, I would love some opinions on these wheels ... [url]http://www.farsports.cn/ViewProduct.aspx?id=756[/url] ... thanks[/quote]
Hi, I'm interested in these too - are they U or V shaped? Profile diagram or picture would be great (Kyle at Farsports??). When I look at that weight, by my calculations that would put the weight around 430g for the rim (correct me if I'm wrong). Does that seem a little light to anyone? Particularly considering their 38x23 is 430g and their 50x24 and 50x25 are each around 480-500g. Also, the 50x24 - which is really U shaped and looks great - does anyone know why it doesn't have the basalt brake track - and instead uses a "high temp durable" brake track - what's the difference and how does this compare?

trillo1111

by trillo1111

Last question - does anyone know whether you can use the SwissStop black prince pads with the farsports rims? I know they come with a pretty good (fast wearing, but super cheap from Farsports so not really an issue) set of blue pads, and I know you can use the yellow king SwissStops - but I've heard the new black prince are great in terms of both performance and reducing heat build up - just want to make sure it wouldn't rub the basalt off or wear the rim down noticeably faster compared to the above 2.

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi trillo1111, I am sure the rims are <430g and I would say less than <400gms :)
Here are the specs ...

FSC50-CJ - 2013 NEW Version - Cyclecross carbon wheels 50mm clincher, V-brake, 23mm width, Tubeless.
Rim: 700c 50mm deep, 23mm wide, clincher carbon rim, basalt braking surface.
Appearance: 3K Glossy
Spoke holes: 20/24H External Nipples
Weight: 1330g+/-30g
ERD: 544mm
Hub: ED hubs/ED ceramic hub, 260g/set only
Spoke: Sapim CX-ray, Black
Nipple: Sapim SILS, Red

Perhaps Kyle can answer these questions :)
- are they U or V shaped rim
- what is the benefit of the basalt braking surface
- what is the rim weight
- can Clincher tyres and tubes be used with this rim
- how stable is the wheel in crosswinds
- can you order a 50/38mm deep wheelset
- which SwissStop pads can be used with these rims

eric

by eric

Juggler wrote:Why are they only V-brake compatible? Enlighten me... :)

I think they mean "not disc brake compatible". Sometimes you have to interpret.

thprice

by thprice

Elrey wrote:
thprice wrote:Farsports 24mm FSL24-TM carbon rims.

Pics of the wheels?

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=92214&p=962189#p962189

merlin6014

by merlin6014

So I am getting heavy pulsating from my front brake when pressure is applied to the point where the fork is shuddering up and down.

Spent a lot of time with bike upside down tonight tracing the culprit and it appears the braking surface around the valve body is a tiny bit wider than the rest of the rim so when you spin the rim slowly and apply slight front brake pressure the rim turns freely till it hits that point then rubs. I assume under faster conditions (i.e. above 20km/h) this is causing the pulsating.

I am unsure wether to:

Option 1 - sand this section lightly with a scotschbrite pad or
Option 2- approach Farsport for warranty return or
Option 3 - wait to see if after repeated braking this section wears itself down equal to the rest of the rim
Option 4 - buy some swissstop yellow pads to replace the blue pads the rims came with

EDIT - I found a thread on this same forum about someone having the same issue - pulsating front brakes due to uneven braking surface. Farsports replaced their wheel. I have sent them an email about the issue, lets see how they stand by their product.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com