(ex)CAAD3 & Archon Ti

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Had 2000 great miles on it since building, but a bit of unhappy post today :(

I had it clamped (on the top tube) a couple of times to clean it, and noticed the brake cable was causing a slight scratch to the varnish (I had tried to protect it with towels before clamping).

Anyway to protect further damage, I applied a couple of Lizard skins along the top tube under the brake cable. I got one aligned slightly wrong and attempted to peel it off, then a bit of a disaster. The lizard skin came off and pulled all the lacquer off it was stuck to. Surely the lacquer should be bonded to the frame better than the lizard skin (which had only been applied for 1 or 2 minutes) is bonded to the lacquer? Seems not!

Anyway, I've stuck another lizard skin over the removed varshin to hopefully stop it peeling further (i've also noticed a couple of other areas on the stays where even the tiniest of contact will scuff the varnish, and have it peeling off quite easily.

But this doesnt look pretty...

I doubt I can get any help from Lightspeed because of the 3mm hole drilled in the rear chainstay endcap for my Di2 internal routing ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82067&hilit=hole+archon ) even though the Lacquer fault (surely its a fault?) is unrelated to my modification.

I guess I'll get it stripped and re-sprayed (properly!) when its put away for the winter.
Attachments
Laquer.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roobay

by Roobay

WeightySteve wrote:Had 2000 great miles on it since building, but a bit of unhappy post today :(

I had it clamped (on the top tube) a couple of times to clean it, and noticed the brake cable was causing a slight scratch to the varnish (I had tried to protect it with towels before clamping).

Anyway to protect further damage, I applied a couple of Lizard skins along the top tube under the brake cable. I got one aligned slightly wrong and attempted to peel it off, then a bit of a disaster. The lizard skin came off and pulled all the lacquer off it was stuck to. Surely the lacquer should be bonded to the frame better than the lizard skin (which had only been applied for 1 or 2 minutes) is bonded to the lacquer? Seems not!

Anyway, I've stuck another lizard skin over the removed varshin to hopefully stop it peeling further (i've also noticed a couple of other areas on the stays where even the tiniest of contact will scuff the varnish, and have it peeling off quite easily.

But this doesnt look pretty...

I doubt I can get any help from Lightspeed because of the 3mm hole drilled in the rear chainstay endcap for my Di2 internal routing ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82067&hilit=hole+archon ) even though the Lacquer fault (surely its a fault?) is unrelated to my modification.

I guess I'll get it stripped and re-sprayed (properly!) when its put away for the winter.

I only use mine in the winter!
shit you got the most robust frame ever made there
Dont worry its Ti :thumbup:
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Roobay wrote:I only use mine in the winter!
shit you got the most robust frame ever made there
Dont worry its Ti :thumbup:

I suppose I am a being bit over protective about scuffs and scratches to the paint, but it is only 2 month old.

I know the frame underneath will stay solid and always give me the buzz it does.

Just a bit gutted to see such a big surface wound so soon I guess.

I'll probably get over it half way up the first climb of tomorrow's 100'mile rollecoaster-terrain sportive.

bencolem

by bencolem

The lacquer started peeling on my Icon as well - I emailed Litespeed with my original proof of purchase and they sorted me out no problem at all (well, apart from sending me the wrong size replacement the first time round!): http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=71221&start=30

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

"Someting a bit special arrived in the post today" :)

DSC_0012_2.jpg

More pics to follow.

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

IMGP0965.JPG

Front - 523g

IMGP0977.JPG

Back - 669g

Pair - 1192g

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Front Dura Ace on GP4000s vs Lightweight on Veloflex blacks (inc skewers)

IMGP0971.JPG

IMGP0975.JPG

979g v 814g - Saved 165g

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Backs...

IMGP0980.JPG

IMGP0983.JPG

1411g v 1145 - Saved 266g

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Total saved 431g.

IMGP0999.jpg

Now I'm itchin for a ride!

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Couple of updates worth a mention.

The CAAD3 finally died. Bottle cage bosses came loose and one thing (hacksaw) and another (hammer) led to it being retired.

Not sorry though, the replacement frame is a massive leap forward, wish I'd done it sooner!

Archon got an upgrade during the winter too :)

(Might have to de-brand the Litespeeds SRM at some point before it hits the road again. It's getting a bit between my witts)

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Stripped the paint off recently...

(Gutted I never weighed it, cardinal sin :( )

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

So Before...

And After...

(De-branded the SRM's as they looked to colourful, but have since replace with wireless cranks with Grey/Black coverplate. Will replace photo when I can).

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Couple of close ups... (Shiny!)