Specialized BG Footbeds in Sidi shoes?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Liggero

by Liggero

These are mine:

Weight is double of the stock insoles. These are 2012 version. I ordered 45-46. Mi sidis are 46 and I had to cut them to 45 specialized to meet the 46 sidi insoles. I suggest to also cut the front edges of the insoles to 45 degrees to make it better. These insoles are much thicker than sidis, specialy under the feet, but i guess they will become thinner with use, just like with any other insoles. here it's -1ºC, so i haven't tried them yet. They feel much much better that sidi's insoles, they offer a decent support. They also make the feet thicker, so the sidi closing straps will stay a bit more open than before. So far so good.

For the 2013 insoles, sizing has changed. 2012 was 43-44, 44-45, 45-46, etc... for 2013 is 42-43, 44-45, 46-47. 2012 came with useless insoles wedges that take lot of space inside the shoe. 2013 comes without these inner wedges.
Happy Trails !!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Liggero

by Liggero

i did a small ride of 50Km today. General impression after first ride is so so. The arch seems too high, as I´m not used to it, although the truth is I had numbness in the outer central lower side of my feet before; not anymore. It seems like the will lear your feet, as at the beginning the arch seemed too high, but at the end of the route it seemed nearly ok. I think after about 300Km it will be ok. I decided to remove the 1degree wedges I had before between cleat and shoe, as I think they are not necessary anymore. I will try this new setup with no cleat wedges. It should be even better. Quite happy so far. Tip: the insoles had to be cut on the front. I suggest no to cut just the front but more on the heels, otherwise the arch support is too much on the front part of the foot. Actually, it seems like i´m now transfering all the power from the arch, instead of transfereing it from the area above the cleat. This is quite weird, but i think it will go out with more Km's, otherwise I will trim the insoles with a file, doing so from the area underneath them. So in a way or another, they will eventually fit my feet perfectly. Quite happy with the purchase. Price is quite decent.
Happy Trails !!!

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

In an Specialized shoe I use the blue insole, for some reason I have to use a red in my sidi to get a similar arch feel. I think the sidi might have a bit more built into the actual shoe.

Of course, you have to use one wedge in the sidi to get the same effect as no wedge (just footbed) in a specialized shoe.

Liggero

by Liggero

Briscoelab wrote:In an Specialized shoe I use the blue insole, for some reason I have to use a red in my sidi to get a similar arch feel. I think the sidi might have a bit more built into the actual shoe.

Of course, you have to use one wedge in the sidi to get the same effect as no wedge (just footbed) in a specialized shoe.

that's quite interesting, cause the blue insoles feel like too much for me, and the stock sidi insole is definitely too little. Do you think the red one would be a solution for me?
Happy Trails !!!

mm1

by mm1

I go the opposite way, red (+) in Sidis and blue (++) in specialized (MTB), same reason as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, specialized seem to have a a flat sole, while Sidi use a more curved last. Even mega Sidis have a lower volume, which is a factor when you want to fit the insoles and feet into the same shoe!

Liggero

by Liggero

mm1 wrote:I go the opposite way, red (+) in Sidis and blue (++) in specialized (MTB), same reason as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, specialized seem to have a a flat sole, while Sidi use a more curved last. Even mega Sidis have a lower volume, which is a factor when you want to fit the insoles and feet into the same shoe!

that sounds quite weird, as this insoles are not designed for filling up space, but for filling up an arch. Using one or the other depends on your arch and on the flatness of the inner sole of the shoe without the insole. I noticed that the sidis are not flat inside, there is a slope, a little arch. that is why blue insoles feel perfect for me out of the shoe, but inside the sidi's I felt like too much arch. I found out though, that with a cutter I can custom trim the insole bit by bit until it fits my feet to perfection.
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

you guys were completely right; sidis have some shae in them already. I had to trim my blue footbeds a lot to get hem good for me. Next time i will order red ones for sidi's. pity i didn't know this before ordering. Anyways, the cutter made its job and now they are custom shaped.
Happy Trails !!!

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I'm using Specialized insoles in all my shoes... Specialized, Northwave, and Lake. I find that they do take up a bit more space than the stock insoles. In fact, with my Northwave MTB shoes I can only wear my thinnest socks comfortable. But the stock insoles are really nothing more than pieces of yellow felt. They are especially nice in my Lake shoes which feature no footbed shape or arch support and came with flat insoles. (Lake shoes suck by the way.)

I like the Specialized footbeds so much I use them in my combat boots.

1415chris

by 1415chris

I am on the search for low volume insoles for my sidi shoes. When I switched to wires recently, for the first time I'm experiencing burning sensations at the bottom of metatarsal area. I used to use specialized insoles in vittoria unique as they are really comfy and better than original ones. Unfortunately due to tighter sidis' fit they have too much volume for them.
Superfeet carbon, that is one option. What insoles from sofsole ans e soles I should take into consideration? Any input is much appreciated.