Best current all-round carbon clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which is the better buy? (price, year, compnents considered).

Zipp 303 Firecrest - 2012 - around $1600-$1700 + SHIPPING SECOND HAND
47%
Ritchey SuperLogic Carbon - 2013 - NEW - $1499 usd + SHIPPING
6%
Reynolds FORTY SIX - 2012 - NEW - $1496 usd + SHIPPING
15%
Bontrager Aeolus 5 D3 Clincher - ? - around $1800 + SHIPPING SECOND HAND
7%
HED Jet 4 FR - 2013 - NEW - $1450 + SHIPPING
9%
CORIMA AERO+ - 2011 - around $1500 + SHIPPING SECOND HAND
4%
Reynolds Assault - 2012 - $900 usd SHIPPED
12%

Total votes: 108

showbiz

by showbiz

First post updated. Please have a vote!

I removed the ENVE as they are over budget and I couldn't find any second hand. :|

Thanks

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

ichobi wrote:What's more surprising is Campy Eurus are more aero than most high profile carbon wheels in that Tour test including Campy bullet?

http://ritcheylogic.com/media/File/2342 ... incher.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm still curious why Tour's test protocol is what it is. It's been criticized a number of times for having a clothed dummy, loose flapping cables and rope, and an pretty open environment. Maybe I'm missing something, but when they report the findings they do, I'm pretty doubtful.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NealH

by NealH

Since none of these are really going to provide you with any measurable advantage, buy on either price or fashion. In fact I think these deep dish wheels will put you at more of a disadvantage all things considered. Why not just buy a quality set of clinchers like the Shimano DA C24s or C35s. Given that you do your fair share of climbing, these wheels will have a distinct advantage (metal brake tracks, lighter than deep dish clincher carbons, less susceptible to side wind gusts, lighter in weight, etc)

showbiz

by showbiz

NealH wrote:Since none of these are really going to provide you with any measurable advantage, buy on either price or fashion. In fact I think these deep dish wheels will put you at more of a disadvantage all things considered. Why not just buy a quality set of clinchers like the Shimano DA C24s or C35s. Given that you do your fair share of climbing, these wheels will have a distinct advantage (metal brake tracks, lighter than deep dish clincher carbons, less susceptible to side wind gusts, lighter in weight, etc)

I understand what your saying.
I have a set of the C24's at the moment.

I'm after a carbon clincher, and aim for it to handle any ride I go on, to be used as my one and only set of wheels. The fact that I do majority climbs was simply to help sway the decision one way or another. I still do flats often enough to need aerodynamics also.

There's always going to be pros and cons.

Of course the ascetic look of the bike/wheels comes into play as well.

Cheers

showbiz

by showbiz

added CORIMA AERO+.

showbiz

by showbiz

Anyone got a working coupon code for starbike.com?

NealH

by NealH

showbiz wrote:
NealH wrote:Since none of these are really going to provide you with any measurable advantage, buy on either price or fashion. In fact I think these deep dish wheels will put you at more of a disadvantage all things considered. Why not just buy a quality set of clinchers like the Shimano DA C24s or C35s. Given that you do your fair share of climbing, these wheels will have a distinct advantage (metal brake tracks, lighter than deep dish clincher carbons, less susceptible to side wind gusts, lighter in weight, etc)

I understand what your saying.
I have a set of the C24's at the moment.

I'm after a carbon clincher, and aim for it to handle any ride I go on, to be used as my one and only set of wheels. The fact that I do majority climbs was simply to help sway the decision one way or another. I still do flats often enough to need aerodynamics also.

There's always going to be pros and cons.

Of course the ascetic look of the bike/wheels comes into play as well.

Cheers

In that case I would go with the new DA 9000 C50 wheels (clinchers). It should be in your price range and being Shimano, they need no introduction to quality and reliability. And they look great too. The Zipp 202 FC is an interesting wheel too, but pricey.

brettmess24

by brettmess24

I have the same struggle but I am going to go tubular and voted for the Reynolds 46.

deluxerider

by deluxerider

Enve 3.4 would be my choice for an all-round wheelset followed closely by Zipp 303.

renoracing

by renoracing

I'm in a similar boat as Showbiz... I'm looking for a wheel to race on.
I currently have the C24's(Dura-Ace WH-7850-C24-TL) and have been using them as my only wheels(both training and racing). I too enjoy long/big climbs, and frequently average 1,000' of climbing per 10 miles. I've had great luck with the C24's but keep coming back to a set of carbon clinchers as my next "upgrade". I almost feel guilty training on my local rough roads with these wheels, as they rate so highly in most people's books, but I plan on keeping them regardless of what I purchase next. This thread has me even more confused on what to get next. My set weighed in at 1505 grams, so they're not the sub 1400g that you see Shimano advertising some place, due to the year and the tubeless version. I think that factors largely into my desire to get another set of "race" wheels.
I've been leaning towards some 38mm carbon clinchers, as the wind is always present where I live, and the thought of 50mm's scares me a little bit, and also I'm not much of a sprinter/crit racer/tt'er(5'10", 145lbs). I obviously want to get something lighter than my current set, which is easy to do in the 38mm realm. Beyond that, I can only imagine that something 38-ish will yield a little benefit in the aero department, while not hindering me on the climbs. So... My short list includes the Reynolds Attack(1460g/2011-$950), Assault has also been considered for a minimal weight sacrific(1525g/2011-2012- $950), Boyd 38mm Clinchers(1425g- $860), and then I've even considered some of the Farsports 38mm's(1280g- $600). But then a part of me is considering something just lighter, and not carbon or aero, like the new Soul 2.0's(1295g- $560). So... obviously I too am having the dilemma that has been discussed here in the last few pages, and would love any input that you guys may be able to offer...
To ask my main question simply; would going to a set of 38mm carbon clincher(insert my above mentioned brands) for most road race scenarios be a worthy upgrade?
Or with that, am I totally backwards? -should I buy something cheap to train on and race on the c24's I have...

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Hmmmm, I'm also looking for options of a 38mm carbon wheel.

halo

by halo

Definitely Zipp.

I have just put a pair on my S5 and though only have ridden 150km; my summary:

Pros:
*Faster on my standard loop; fairly flat coastal/river roads.
*Smooth hubs; spin nicely.
*Copes with side gusts well.
*Look fantastic.
*11 speed - maybe in the future.

Cons:
*Doesn't brake quite as well as previous wheels (Ksyrium slr), but is improving as pads conform to the tapered brake track.
*Tricky to set up my brakes as they need to be in the 'open' position. (Brakes are Ciamillo Negative G). This may change the leverage, but they feel ok.
*Zipp Platinum Evo pads aren't available for Neg G as Campy compatible pads not made by Zipp yet. Currently using Swiss Stop yellow which the Zipp site approves.
*Slightly heavier than the Ksyriums, only by the mass of the rim strips the Zipps require.
*Need to be going fast all the time when they look so fast.

I'm a convert, despite being a bit cynical about training on carbon. It has just made rides faster, not easier.

showbiz

by showbiz

After a bit of thought, I'm seriously considering the Xentis SQUAD 4.2.

a) they look gangster
b) something different and not so common
c) quality wheels, brand new, at a decent price. Seem to break well and get decent reviews!

lyot

by lyot

Why not considering the Easton EC90 SL or Aero ? You can find those new without paying more than 1500$. I've always ridden Easton EC90 Aero and consider them very fast wheels. There is/was(?) an issue with the hubs, but nothing that can't be overcome.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

hey Showbiz
Sounds like you are also in Oz(?)
I am about to put my set of Enve 45's on the market probably in your pricerange - built up by Fairwheel - as I just haven't been riding enough to justify the number of wheelsets I have. Avoiding the international shipping and GST cost will save you minimum + $200AUD. PM me if interested

In terms of your list - nothing I would jump at given other contemporary options but I have to say that Corima's are still a very good wheelset by 2013 standards - although the weight may be a little on the high side if you are into serious hills. For rolling hills - fantastic.
Good Luck
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti