Neilpryde Bura sl - finished (new pic on pg 3)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

So, it's done. I took it out for a 35 mile ride today- starting temp 24 degrees, ended at 33 (That's F, not C, as in f---ing cold and windy). Ok, it wasn't that bad. The bike is awesome. I had it down to 11.33 lbs and then switched out a few bolts and a few tuning parts to drop a bit more. The weight is with BOTH the garmin 500 head unit and the speed/cadence sensor on there.

The ride in incredible. I had my scott addict down to 11.3 lbs at one point, but the ride was always twitchy (possibly because it was a bit too big for me where this frame is ideal in size small). Anyone who tries to say weight doesn't matter on a bike has never ridden one, at least for me there's nothing like it. Gratuitous crap- of course it's "laterally stiff yet vertically compliant" :smartass:

I love it! BTW, the backstory on this is my wife used my upgrade for an iphone, 2 days later I hit her up for this. She went for it! VICTORY FOR MEN AND THEIR TOYS EVERYWHERE!

Frame/fork/seat collar- NP bura sl (size small)

wheels- edge/enve 1.45, extralite hubs, cx-ray spokes, front conti comp/ rear vittoria evo (both 22 or 23mm)
bars- ritchey superlogic II (carbon) 40mm

stem- extralite OC 100mm

headset- NP, extralite ultrastar, extralite top cap and bolt, omniracer alloy spacers

shifters- sram red w/ btp clamps (stock hoods will be switched out for either homemade heatshrink or alternative experiment.
cables/housing- derailleur: alligator mini i-link cable/housing, brakes: i-link housing, front power cord, rear is currently alligator cable will be switched out for powercord.

FD- campy chorus tuned to 57g
RD- sram red tuned to 134g
cassette-sram red 11/26

crankset- lightning sl 172.5 w/ extralite 50/34 rings & kcnc bolts

scott chain catcher (had it sitting around and figured what the heck)

chain- kmc x10sl

skewers- m2racer bolt on

bar tape- I can't remember but it's lighter than deda

bar plugs- I think they were from fsa cranks, cut down to lighten and fit

seatpost- mcfk 27.2 setback

saddle- ax lightness endurance (3 yrs old, finally something from ax that doesn't fail)

brakes - kcnc cb1 w/ enve pads

pedals - exustar 200 ti

I think that's it, if it's not let me know and I'll add it in. I really need a better place to hang the scale so I can get the entire bike in there.
Attachments
x bura out 1 a.jpg
x bura out 2 b.jpg
x bura scale 1 a.jpg
x bura scale kg a.jpg
x bura scale lb b.jpg
Last edited by mdeth1313 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Speedplay is the devil!

NGMN

by NGMN

Flippin sweet! 768 grams is about as light a frame as you can get.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

NGMN wrote:Flippin sweet! 768 grams is about as light a frame as you can get.

yeah, but it's a small :noidea:
Speedplay is the devil!

bencolem

by bencolem

Nice, been waiting ages to see a Bura build.

CAMSHAFT

by CAMSHAFT

bencolem wrote:Nice, been waiting ages to see a Bura build.

Why wait? Look at a SLR01 build.... :D

LouisN

by LouisN

I'll follow this one... :beerchug:

Do you have a buildlist ?

Louis :)

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

LouisN wrote:I'll follow this one... :beerchug:

Do you have a buildlist ?

Louis :)

Pretty much what's on this one:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=107447&p=920680&hilit=blue#p920680

mostly a strip down and rebuild except for a mcfk setback post and I'll probably put a different seatpost collar on there. The biggest change (other than the frameset) is I went from zipp vumaquads to lightning sl cranks (w/ extralite rings).
Speedplay is the devil!

fa63

by fa63

This should be a nice build.

By the way, what are your impressions of the Blue AC1?

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

fa63 wrote:This should be a nice build.

By the way, what are your impressions of the Blue AC1?

It's not worth the msrp, that's for sure. I was definitely faster on flats and downhills than I was on my addict sl. There's no doubt that the aero design helped out there. All in all it wasn't that terrible of a climber either, but I found out really quick that I'm a die hard WW and I missed the feel of a superlight ride. While it didn't bother me, the ride was a lot harsher than the addict. It didn't feel quite as responsive as my previous bikes either, but I have to figure the frameset was 350-400g heavier and I never rode it w/ my enve wheelset- the fall/winter wheels are more than a pound over the enve's so it starts adding up. It's just not gonna launch like a sub 12lb bike.

(a friend of mine seems to think I just like to ride frames with guys names on them more than other stuff-- scott & neil as opposed to blue).

The other part of this is I've always had to buy my frames either used or on closeout. My wife used my upgrade for an iphone and I had just done some plumbing repairs in the house myself (which saved us big $$$), so I hit her up for the frameset and she actually went for it! Call it a victory for men and their toys everywhere! :beerchug:
Speedplay is the devil!

marn

by marn

here's my small bura sl with 2012 sram red. sorry for the instagram pic.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Neil and Franco, looks like you have a thing for riding frames w/ guys' names on them too. :lol:
Speedplay is the devil!

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

mdeth1313 wrote:
lightning sl cranks (w/ extralite rings).

So are the new Extralite rings any good? I know you said you hated the old ones, and that they caused the chain to drop a lot. New frame looks sweet, and so light. Can't wait to see it built up.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

ProfessorChaos wrote:
mdeth1313 wrote:
lightning sl cranks (w/ extralite rings).

So are the new Extralite rings any good? I know you said you hated the old ones, and that they caused the chain to drop a lot. New frame looks sweet, and so light. Can't wait to see it built up.

These rings came w/ the crankset (I bought it slightly used). I decided to try them and for whatever reason, the shifting has been perfect. They're still the gold colored ones, but they must have done something right!
Speedplay is the devil!

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Good to know. I may try them in the future, although I really like the Praxis rings I have now.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

MCFK post arrived today- 107g (27.2 x 300)
Lightning PF30 BB

Both are installed. That's all I have time for tonight. I have a 3 day weekend coming up and I hope to take it out for a test spin on Monday.

I'm wondering if I can find a lighter PF30 setup and then use the spacers from a zipp BB30 setup. Anyone know if that would work? Of course those spacers would add another 26g to the total BB weight, not sure if there's anything out there that's lighter. Maybe I need to do some research.
Attachments
PF30 BB Lightning a.jpg
MCFK post a.jpg
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com