New Trek Speedconcept 2 in 2014?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Pelle1994

by Pelle1994

I have haerd and read that there should be a complete new Speedconcept in 2014? Does anybosy of you know more of it or any specifications? Becuase Trek presents its news on an own show called Trek World which is earlier than the Eurobike or anything else!

NGMN

by NGMN

Carl is a Trek guy that posts over at slowtwitch and he was tight lipped on it when a Trek sponsored athlete said something that made it sound like a new bike was coming. Its been about 5 years since the first Speed Concept prototypes were being ridden by the pros so the development timeline seems right.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

Seems like they may want a non-UCI bike. In the US the vast majority of non-sponsored athletes are never exposed to UCI regulations.

That includes triathletes, of course, but also most bike racers:

(e) Bicycles must meet current UCI technical regulations at
events that select 17-18, U23 and Elite riders for international
competition or national teams. All bicycles used in National
Championships (for age 17 and older riders) and NRC races
must comply with the current UCI regulations. At the
discretion of USA Cycling, UCI rules may be adopted or
modified for Masters National Championships.

NGMN

by NGMN

Well, if you look at the trend, its to take a UCI legal base and then have non-uci elements. That is what the first speed concept did, the handlebar and the draft box were non-uci elements on an otherwise UCI friendly format. Cervelo has done something similar with their P5. Felt's DA has their non-uci di2 battery cover.

The biggest problem with having a non-uci model is that it doesn't get the exposure that is necessary from the Pros. Superdave over at Felt has talked a little about this. Though, Specialized has certainly "bucked the trend" with their non-uci legal Shiv Tri, but also it shows that they want people to think "Shiv" when it comes to the Shiv Tri.

rayray

by rayray

It seems as if there is something coming as Fabian has been testing it already.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=11046

elviento

by elviento

If the one with the Tony M plate is the one you are referring to, then it really looks like nothing more than minor tweaks from the previous SC.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

jooo

by jooo

NGMN wrote:The biggest problem with having a non-uci model is that it doesn't get the exposure that is necessary from the Pros. Superdave over at Felt has talked a little about this. Though, Specialized has certainly "bucked the trend" with their non-uci legal Shiv Tri, but also it shows that they want people to think "Shiv" when it comes to the Shiv Tri.

I guess one difference with the Shiv versus introducing legal/non legal models at the same time is that it was actually used a fair bit before the UCI nose cone was outlawed. So it had a fair bit more exposure than it may have otherwise had? Being outlawed could almost certainly be a selling point too?

Andrew69

by Andrew69

NGMN wrote:Though, Specialized has certainly "bucked the trend" with their non-uci legal Shiv Tri, but also it shows that they want people to think "Shiv" when it comes to the Shiv Tri.

Spec may have bucked the trend, but by God those things are UGLY!
I cant for the life of me understand why anyone would by one, and unfortunetly, as I like to race tri's, I see the damn things all the time :(

Stalkan

by Stalkan

elviento wrote:If the one with the Tony M plate is the one you are referring to, then it really looks like nothing more than minor tweaks from the previous SC.

Sounds like the new bike was on the car, in the car, or something of that nature.

Fabian Cancellara with a small group and a following car with that new bike were next away.

However, Alastair simply might have been referring to the bike he was riding as the bike being new to Fabian but he doesn't say that above.

Next to them was the time trial bike of multi-champion Fabian Cancellara, interestingly on the top tube was a small plate with “*TONY M.*” stamped on it.

djconnel

by djconnel

Shiv non-UCI:

Shiv UCI:

I saw one of the non-UCI bikes this past weekend at an event I helped organized. It looks very cool, clearly UCI illegal with high aspect ratio tubes.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

I saw one of the non UCI Shivs being built for delivery when I stopped in the shop a while back. It looks crazy but in a good way. The internal bottle is a nice touch. It's a yacht anchor by weightwennie standards though.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

There may not be a change to the SC for 2014. I read (and for the life of me, I cannot find the link) that the UCI mandated a change to the front fork on the SC9's based on some new rule they created. This may be why some of the riders are testing it out.

Also, keep in mind that the SC is still not offered in the 700-series carbon. The riders may be trying prototype SC's built with Trek's top-of-the-line OCLV carbon.

bikemery

by bikemery

Anyone retro fitting Di2 internal battery into Trek Speed Concept 9 series? Thanks for any info.

trikobe

by trikobe

Yep. Sent my post into Calfee for their internal battery.

Tillquist

by Tillquist

The new Speed Concept 2014 is here.....

See all my bike h e r e

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com