American Classic Argent Tubeless Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SergeantRock

by SergeantRock

Hi

Been lusting after a pair of these wheels since hey were announced last year. I think they are about to land in the UK. Stats look good 1370g for a pair, 390g rim weight, 30mm rim depth so som aero benefit and 22mm wide rims to improve tyre profile and comfort. I also perfer the grey hub colour.

Anyone got any inside information on these wheels?

http://www.amclassic.com/2013/en/produc ... d-tubeless

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dimitri

by Dimitri

we've sold 2 sets. seem like a great package for the money. bead hook design means the tires mount up even wider, the hook is basically shorter than normal, pinching the tire less.

they use quite a heavy gauge spoke, (same as on their 420 areo's) which should help make them a little stiffer than their road tubeless (along with the extra depth).

brake track is un-machined so you will feel some pulsing but its not an actual performance issue.

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

yeah, but will all the decals peel off easily?
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Is there a particular reason why you are interested in these wheels? Is it just because they're tubeless compatible? Any clincher rim can be converted to tubeless using Stan's rim tape. I converted my old set of Bontrager RXL's to tubeless (they aren't wide, but I'm looking for help in the hills, not for aero reasons).

Unless you are sold on these rims, I wouldn't wait for these. There are lots of deals on eBay for basic clinchers, that you can convert.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Can you tell me of any other alloy rim that measures 17.5+mm ID and sub 400g?

I think these wheels look very interesting... save the AC hubs :oops:

trillo1111

by trillo1111

Maybe it's just me, but doesn't it worry anyone that with an internal width/diameter of 19.4mm and an external width of 22mm, that the bead hook (maybe wrong term - width of the rim wall at the outermost part where it connects to the tire) is only 1.3mm wide... (half as thick as many other rim profiles I see)? At that rate the bead hook appears even smaller than stan's alpha 340 (17mmID, 20mmOD = 1.5mm), which I hear concerns of burping, not to mention if you hit a pothole, a 1.3mm wide bead hook (again maybe wrong term) may be (would be) more prone to denting - and then your wheel is toast, or at least the tubeless option? Just curious, because, otherwise, I agree - the specs look great.

SergeantRock

by SergeantRock

In answer to the question regarding tubeless conversions rather than tubeless ready /specific rims I have already done than. I have converted pair of Shimano CL24s and a pair of Mavic Aksiums and have really liked the improvement in ride but most of all no puntures. The Mavics have Hutchinson intensives on and are training wheels and the Shimano's are shod with Hutchinson Atoms. The Shimano's are great but are getting a bit old now so I was looking for a new set of Sunday best wheels. I did try some 50mm carbon tubulars last year but I trashed the front rim in an argument with a pothole and I never really got the best out of them / fully confident braking wise despite trying different pad choices and changing my breaking style. They were Gigantex rims so maybe other rims would be better.

The AC Argent wheels are only fractionally heavier than my 50mm wheels and have the advantage of a better brake track, some aero benefit and hopefully they will be strong. I was also keen on the fact that the wider rim profile should improve ride comfort and tyre grip.

Interesting point about the rim bead and wall width. I guess you have just got to hope that AC have done their homework and the system works in this respect. I certainlly have not experienced any issues with air loss on my conversions.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'm assuming you meant sub-1400g.

Around that weight, I have found the following:

DA9000 C24 (1364g - claimed), 23mm F/24mm R
Bonty RXL's (1440g - claimed; 642g F/798g R), 23mm F&R

I think both have better hubs. I'm not bashing your wheel choice, I'm just wondering why you would switch to AC when Shimano's updated C24 rims feature what you like, and you already know the performance you got from the last generation. BTW, they're selling for $1200 on Competitive, with shipment on 2/28.

styrrell

by styrrell

Those are valid alternatives but if tubeless is a big deal they are 150g or so heavier, and if you use campy, then they are a no go.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

FIJIGabe wrote:I'm assuming you meant sub-1400g.

Around that weight, I have found the following:

DA9000 C24 (1364g - claimed), 23mm F/24mm R
Bonty RXL's (1440g - claimed; 642g F/798g R), 23mm F&R

I think both have better hubs. I'm not bashing your wheel choice, I'm just wondering why you would switch to AC when Shimano's updated C24 rims feature what you like, and you already know the performance you got from the last generation. BTW, they're selling for $1200 on Competitive, with shipment on 2/28.

No, I meant sub-400g for the rim only. The AC website lists the hoop as 390g.

I wasn't aware the new C24 was wider. That is very appealing as well.

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

FIJIGabe wrote:.....DA9000 C24 (1364g - claimed), 23mm F/24mm R....

That weight is for C24-CL not C24-TL tubeless
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

SergeantRock

by SergeantRock

Hadn't clocked the new DA900 wheels. They do look a good package. Visually not as nice as the AC Argents but they are cheaper - £620 vs £899 (Expected price for the ACs). I think the stadard clincher with a Stan's conversion is a better bet than the going for the additional weight of the tubeless ready rim.

Anyone ridden the 2013 Dura Ace wheels, in either form?

funhog1

by funhog1

carlislegeorge wrote:yeah, but will all the decals peel off easily?

If they do I'd be interested, Very much so...
Buy it. & Ride it.
Only if it has a high margin of utility.

Dimitri

by Dimitri

RE - AC's hubs.

front hub.. is ok, considering the weight (58g) i find the durability acceptable, any bearing play can usually be addressed by a strip and re-assemble.

rear hub has had plenty of running revisions and is now, IMHO the best Taiwanese produced hub out there.

the wheels themselves are impressively light, especially considering the spokes theyre using (~6g each). should help them be a little stiffer though.

the rims are obviously not going to be bomb proof, but that cant really be expected either considering the weight/cost.

SergeantRock

by SergeantRock

Further to my original post I have now seen a set of Argent wheels in the flesh at the bike and tri show in Manchester, which . Great weight and profile. Spokes looked good, as did the hubs in grey. The rim finish was clear anodised and it looks like the decals could be removed easy enough if you wanted. But the thing is the rim and bead hook are so thin, as pointed out by Trillo, infact the hook is hardly noticeable. Undoubtedly AC have tested it and it works but I have to think that that the rim walls would not take kindly to hitting the edge of a pothole hard.

So I think the suggestion of the 2013 DA's is looking like a good option.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com