Setting the slope for 2 PM's in 1 PC7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Grimpeur

by Grimpeur

Simple question, but can't seem to find the answer anywhere and SRM isn't replying to my emails:

I have an SRM on both my bikes, but only one powercontrol, which I use on both. I just did a recalibration, so I have 2 new slope values.
But when I pair one crankset and then pair the other, the slope value seems to remain the same. Is there a way to put 2 slope values
into the PC7 or do I need to adjust it everytime I switch bikes?

Thanks,

D
This is my Bike. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me, my bike is useless. Without my bike, I am useless.

ms6073

by ms6073

Does the PC7 have the ability to send/update an SRM's slope like a Garmin Edge 500/510/705/800/810? How did you update/send the new slope to your SRM's after calibration? Although I own a PC6, I do not think the PC7 has 'bike profiles' like a Garmin Edge thus, can only pair with one powermeter at a time and since the PC7 auto-detects the slope of the currently paired SRM, would seem to indicate that if the slope stays the same, you are still paired with the first powermeter.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dammit

by Dammit

I may be wrong on this, but my understanding is that the slope is stored on the PowerMeter.

If you reset the slope in the PC-7 following a calibration this won't change the slope recorded in the Power meter.

So, next time the PC-7 pairs it'll pick up the slope set in the PM.

You need to change the value held in the PM to the correct one, then the PC-7 will pick up the correct slope.

Of course, this might be wrong.

Caveat Lector.

tetonrider

by tetonrider

you can absolutely accomplish this. do you have access to an edge 500 or 800?

if so, you can use the edge to update the value stored in the SRM meter itself.

i have multiple meters and periodically check the slope. i make the update via the garmin. i keep the pc7 set to 'auto'.

the pc7 picks up the new slope. you can check this on the pc7 or post-workout within SRMwin or SRMmac to verify.

it is annoying at best and error-prone at worst to have to remember to (manually) set a new slope for each bike you ride.

if you need more details, let me know.

Grimpeur

by Grimpeur

Thnx for the info. I had no idea I had to change the slope in the PM itself, I thought inputting the slope into the Pc7 would take care of that..

I think I can borrow a friend's Garmin 500 for this, so a short guide on how to use the Garmin to adjust this would be very welcome!
This is my Bike. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me, my bike is useless. Without my bike, I am useless.

Geoff

by Geoff

This is one of the reasons that I always use the 'manual' setting on the PowerController.

If you recalibrate the PowerMeter yourself and get a new slope value, you cannot input that new value into the PowerMeter. Accordingly, the automatic 'pairing' option for the slope will not work. What you can do is switch the PowerController slope setting to 'manual' and input the slope that way. You can do this either from your PowerController or from your Personal computer at home.

aerogurl

by aerogurl

This is one of the reasons that I always use the 'manual' setting on the PowerController.

If you recalibrate the PowerMeter yourself and get a new slope value, you cannot input that new value into the PowerMeter.

SRM Headunits (PC6, PC7) cannot "broadcast" the new slope back to the PM Cranks.

Garmin Headunits (500, 800) can "broadcast" the new slope back to the cranks and write them to the crank hardware. Then the cranks will send the new slope everytime they are paired.

So, if you use a SRM headunit you'll need to borrow a friends Garmin to write a new slope to your cranks.

djm

by djm

So, what is happening when my Garmin sets the offset automatically, and then adjusts the slope value to an insane 20-digit value?

I also have to correct the slope on the Garmin every time i set the offset manually... Have yet to try with another Garmin/head unit..

ms6073

by ms6073

djm wrote:So, what is happening when my Garmin sets the offset automatically, and then adjusts the slope value to an insane 20-digit value...
Sounds to me like there is a problem with your SRM's battery. I suggest if you have the ability, that you recalibrate your SRM and then use the Garmin to 'send' the new slope to the SRM.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

aerogurl

by aerogurl

Grimpeur wrote:a short guide on how to use the Garmin to adjust this would be very welcome!

Wake up PM and get it paired with Garmin 500

Menu > Settings > Bike Settings > Bike 1 > Ant+ Power > Sensor Details
Scroll to "Slope (10.0 to 50.0)"
Enter > Enter New slope > Done
Rotate Cranks forward until Garmin says Slope Change Successful

Grimpeur

by Grimpeur

Tnx Aerogurl, will be trying that as soon as I get a hold of a Garmin :thumbup:.

Geoff wrote:This is one of the reasons that I always use the 'manual' setting on the PowerController.
If you recalibrate the PowerMeter yourself and get a new slope value, you cannot input that new value into the PowerMeter. Accordingly, the automatic 'pairing' option for the slope will not work. What you can do is switch the PowerController slope setting to 'manual' and input the slope that way. You can do this either from your PowerController or from your Personal computer at home.

I do realize I can input them manually, have been doing so the past few days when switching bikes, but it's annoying to do every time (even though it's a 10 second thing) and I'm sure I'll end up forgetting to do it eventually..

Grimpeur

by Grimpeur

tetonrider wrote:you can absolutely accomplish this. do you have access to an edge 500 or 800?

if so, you can use the edge to update the value stored in the SRM meter itself.

i have multiple meters and periodically check the slope. i make the update via the garmin. i keep the pc7 set to 'auto'.

the pc7 picks up the new slope. you can check this on the pc7 or post-workout within SRMwin or SRMmac to verify.

it is annoying at best and error-prone at worst to have to remember to (manually) set a new slope for each bike you ride.

if you need more details, let me know.

I've updated the slope of one crankset using a Garmin 500, but would like to verify this in SRMwin like you're saying. The new slope of one set of cranks is 17,9 ,but manually I put the slope of my other powermeter in the PC7 (19.1). If I now pair the SRM with the 17.9 cranks and hook the PC7 up to SRMwin and open the settings window it still displays the 19.1 slope.
Is there a way I can see the slope for the rides specifically done with the crankset that has the updated slope?

Thanks in advance!

Geoff

by Geoff

Did you turn the slope detection back to 'automatic'?

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

wasn't there something about the powercontrol only saving the last calibration number and crank slope?(if you are downloading multiple rides from multiple powermeters stored on 1 powercontrol)

Grimpeur

by Grimpeur

Geoff, I did not turn automatic on yet, just did and I see the slope bracket turning grey (saying 0,0). Will this make the Powercontrol use the slope that's now stored in the cranks?

I haven't updated the slope of my other SRM in the cranks, at first I was thinking of leaving that new slope in the PC7 if it would use the slope of the other PM straight from the cranks. But then if I need to select "automatic" that doesn't work right?

I hope the above is not as confusing as I am about this ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com