Lightweight Meilenstein Gen 4 Clincher vs Mad Fibers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

h4nc0

by h4nc0

RudyMontana wrote:Where are you located? In North America problems with LW are more pronounced as you have to send them to Germany for repairs.

in korea. :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Horacio

by Horacio

I refuse to spend the kind of $$$ LWs command when there is no US warranty center. Yes, they look cool and ride like a dream, but that doesnt outweigh the chance of something happening to them and having to send them back to Germany.

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

I agree entirely. From what I have read best case turnaround can be a month. That is not a fit for me.

konky

by konky

Ulle wrote:
konky wrote:I've got a set of the new 47.5mm tubular Meilenstein wheels and apparently they are 30% stiffer and more durable than the 53cm version which were ultra stiff and durable anyway.

What about breaking performance? Improved also?

I don't know if braking is meant to be improved. In that department my meilenstein's aren't as good as my tubular DA C35s which in my experience are the best out there for carbon braking. Having said that I think the Lightweights are nearly as good which is damn good. My C35s are brilliant wheels, solid as a rock and ultra comfortable. However I much prefer the more sporty feel of the Lightweights which are also no less comfortable but feel much stiffer and much more nimble. In my view both are everyday wheels that can be used for training as much as racing.

Mad Fibre would be be my last choice as I don't like their appearance. They dominate an overall build way too much.

h4nc0

by h4nc0

konky wrote:
Mad Fibre would be be my last choice as I don't like their appearance. They dominate an overall build way too much.

I completely agree!

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I would recommend the meilenstein. i am biased as i have a pair though. i have never riddena carbon braking surface but i certainly have found none of the pulsing that can plague carbon braking surfaces. they are light and stiff. mine were 1202g. i has had no blowouts or flats rubnibg cont gp4000s and conti supersonic tubes. i have 2 friends whom have madfiber clinchers. 1 has had 3 explosive blowouts all on flat roads, with both gp4000s and ultremos. he also had no oil in his freehub when he got them and had to take them back. my other mate has had a single ezplosive blowout on the flat. it seems to be due to poor finishing of the tyre bed. The finishing of the lightweights is also far superior to the madfibers.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dozer

by Dozer

NiFTY wrote: i have 2 friends whom have madfiber clinchers. 1 has had 3 explosive blowouts all on flat roads, with both gp4000s and ultremos. *snip* my other mate has had a single ezplosive blowout on the flat. it seems to be due to poor finishing of the tyre bed.

Please explain that failure mode further. Your friends were just riding along on flat roads and the tires had "explosive" blowouts? How is that the wheel's fault and not the tire's? I'd like to understand that because I ride MFs and don't want to experience the same thing.

Were they clinchers or tubular MadFibers? If clinchers, then the only thing the tires and tubes touch is the aluminum rim which is quite smooth on the inside.

To the OP, both LW or MF are quite good. I chose MF because 1) I preferred their looks 2) their lack of a weight limit gives me piece of mind when riding on rough roads and 3) they were cheaper.

djconnel

by djconnel

I just Googled for Mad Fiber wheels and came up with this sizzling deal:

msrp: $2,900.00
Price: $2,899.00

Anyway, I just ran across the following on BikeTechReview, from an article
on Triathlon:

The article has a review of the wheels.

Anyway, the issue seems to be the relatively narrow rim isn't as good at cross-winds as wider rims. That creates more drag and also less stable handling in cross-winds. Wider shapes, like those of Hed, Zipp, and Bontrager (which uses Zipp) do better in cross-winds both in resistance and in turbulance (stalling).

Other than that the Mad Fibers seem fine: super-stiff. Rick Hjertberg knows his wheels, having founded Wheelsmith back in the 1980's. He's less of an expert on aerodynamics. On looks, well, I'd hope this forum was focused more on function than form. I think they look cool

Lig

by Lig

Hi H4nc0,

I have the LW Clinchers and they are absolutely superb. They are about 2 years old, however I did hit a pot hole last year and wrecked the rear. It was out of its 1 yr warranty and I sent it back and they sent me a new wheel which I am pretty sure is first gen Meilenstein. So a big thumbs up for customer service!!

The braking I find superb, I have only used the LW/Swissstop pads. I did a 112mile sportive and it was very wet and they performed great, you just had to give your braking an extra second in order for the water to go and then they worked fine. In the dry it helps to feather the brakes to prevent heat build up, but this goes for all brakes, specifically carbon.

I have also got some Bora Ultras and the braking is better on the LWs and they don’t squeel.

Cant really comment on the Madfibres but I did read a review that said the braking was bad and I don’t really like the look of them – but they are cheaper.

I really do rate the LWs and from the service I have received in the past I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another pair!! If your budget stretches then deffo go LW – you wont regret it!!
Lig.

h4nc0

by h4nc0

thanks lig,

I am leaning toward LW. thanks for your feedback!

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Am using MF tubulars and can vouch for service - asked them a few questions through Facebook messages before buying them and emailed them about minor issues with the wheels after the purchase and they have always replied me promptly. They are very light and climbs are easier with them, plus they allow you to accelerate easier even when you're already putting in serious effort. Don't read too much into the aero data cos it doesn't really matterr if you are using them in group rides, that data is generated for triathletes. I'm sure the LWs are very good too but the price difference between the two is quite large, especially if you know where to get a deal (PM me).I happen to like the way they look on my bike as well.

Johnny_Yutah

by Johnny_Yutah

Without hesitation Mad Fiber.

I've been using the wheels for 3 years now and definitely the best wheels so far with Mavic CCU.

Super solid and reliable : crashed twice and everytime there were minimal damages. 1st time, wheel got repaired and sent back to me in less than 2 weeks and 2nd time wheel got replaced without any problem.

Service is impeccable. Fast communication, both times I got a reply from Ric, very nice guy.

Cyklus

by Cyklus

Also very happy with my madfibers :D

ticou

by ticou

Did I hear an Elephant in the room..'I wrecked my LW rear going over a pothole'?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

@dozer
The failure mode was.not obvious. On one wheel someone cut their finger when changing the tyre so the the bead hook was quite sharpand must have cut the tube. I am not saying this is a common to all mf clinchers, just that the only two explosive failures i have ever seen were on the only two people i know riding madfibers. One of them has now had 3 explosive blowouts and will not ride them again. He has had no similar issues on his prev mavic, open moulds or rolfs.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com