New Garmin Edge 810 and 510

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bomber

by bomber

markyboy wrote:When you updated your 810 did you have to put all your information in again?i did.
So i have lost everything and have to start again.pi$$ed off.

It actually warns you that all the settings will be removed by the update and links you to an article on how to back them up.
Carb loading since the 90's

My ex ride
My old rides

markyboy

by markyboy

Oh well i will know next time :beerchug:
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bwdftp

by bwdftp

milroy wrote:
Tillquist wrote:GPS is updated in 810 and is faster to find the satellites than 800 is.

I'm not saying you are wrong. But if you are referring to GLONASS, that is only on the 510, not the 810.

Agree that it is only 510, but from personal experience i can confirm that the 810 is very noticeably faster to find satellites than the 800.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Is it just me, or can you not carry over your Garmin 800 SD card maps?

Sounds like the 810 has a different mapping set up? One that might actually be updated (my biggest gripe with the 800 maps).

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

I'm using a strada now. I would really like to know my elevation though.

For these garmin devices. Do I have to hook it up to a computer or is it a stand alone device? I really know little about them. I travel a lot and I'm not much of a computer person so I would maybe get one if it's good by itself. But if I always have to plug it into a computer I don't know I would want that.

I tried my iPhone with mapmyride but it doesn't tell ou total elevation. It wil how a graph o climbs but then at the end it will say something like

"elevation gain 147"

Even when ou know you do a 1000 ft hill.

Also I would sometimes like to have a map at my hands to show me where I would like to ride without having to look at google maps before leaving.

Sound like I need a garmin?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

The 810 and 510 have the ability to now wirelessly upload to Garmin Connect. So no, no computer would be required.

Have a read back through here and the review on DC Rainmaker, answers pretty much every question. Aside from the one about maps :(

Tillquist

by Tillquist

You need a computer if you want to change the title of your workout. It can not yet be done from Garmin Connect Mobile.
See all my bike h e r e

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

The 810 replaces the 800? Does everything the 800 did but it can use my phone instead of a computer and has weather. Plus it's 499 instead of 649?

itsacarr

by itsacarr

So does anyone have anything POSITIVE to say about the 810 over the 800 yet? Speaking to someone who owns neither currently but wants to own one? Information on all the forums seems to be changing by the second on these things.
Just ride ..

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Sounds like firmware is a big issue at present.

bwdftp

by bwdftp

itsacarr wrote:So does anyone have anything POSITIVE to say about the 810 over the 800 yet? Speaking to someone who owns neither currently but wants to own one? Information on all the forums seems to be changing by the second on these things.

I have an 810 and and 800. The 810:
- Definitely acquires satellites faster.
- livetrack works well and I find it useful (wife knows where I am, etc) but is a pretty specific thing which many people presumably could care less for.
- better screen layout on training pages (can fit more data on there than with the 800 because you don't have the navigation icons)
- easier to change/set up and generally more intuitive to use.
- easier to switch between bikes.
- haven't quite been able to confirm categorically, but so far it does seem to deal with wet weather a touch better than older garmins with barometric altimeters which in my experience pretty much stop working after anything more than a couple of minutes of rain.

I haven't had any problems with it crashing. Main downsides I've experienced:
- won't pair with one of my Quarqs (but does with the other) - but there is no way of telling if it is the quarq or the garmin!
- average power calculations are off, but then this presumably should be fixed in firmware upgrades

I'm definitely a fan of it, and would be happy to pay the extra as compared to the 800. Particularly over the next couple of months when presumably we'll see more firmware upgrades to iron out some of the bugs.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Tinea Pedis wrote:Sounds like firmware is a big issue at present.

Yeah, new Garmin release. Should be a surprise to no one. (I own six Garmin GPSes.)
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

asv

by asv

I got my Garmin 510 on Monday. Similar to the 810 comments:

PRO's
- Easily switch between different bikes
- Different views based on customizable activity.
- Online tracking function (cute, but not something I would use regularly)
- GPS startup time is much quicker

CON's
- Very bulky compared to the 500
- Much heavier than the 500
- The screen is not very sharp and can be hard to see (shocked that there was zero improvement over the 800) I find it very difficult to accurately hit what I intended on the touchscreen
- Would not pair with my ANT+ cadence sensor for some odd reason

I returned the 510 and bought a new 500. I still have my 800 for the occasion when I need turn by turn nav. I'm a big fan of Garmin, but the 510 just seems to be lacking. The company seems to be coasting when it comes to bike computers because there is no good direct competition.

What I really want is a sharp readable high resolution screen, slim profile, and lightweight device that has all the features of the 800 series in compact unit that weighs as much as the 500. Sure its an engineering challenge, but in 2013 its totally doable. Hopefully the "900" does something like that, but now that the 810 and 510 are out I would imagine it will be 2015 before Garmin releases another head unit.

bwdftp

by bwdftp

Partial retraction!!!

810 Crashed today 3 hours into a 5 hour ride. Fortunately I had been feeling nervous and so took the 910 along as backup!

On the positive side, 2 hours of the 3 hours were in the rain and the elevation held up perfectly.

bwdftp

by bwdftp

asv wrote:
What I really want is a sharp readable high resolution screen, slim profile, and lightweight device that has all the features of the 800 series in compact unit that weighs as much as the 500. Sure its an engineering challenge, but in 2013 its totally doable. Hopefully the "900" does something like that, but now that the 810 and 510 are out I would imagine it will be 2015 before Garmin releases another head unit.

x2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com