Help me choose a groupset!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

I have gotten most of my bike where I want it, my last big changes were wheels and Pedals, so now I am looking at my last major overhaul the groupset.

I currently have a rival/force mix with apex calipers and a red chain.

I'm looking at weight of course but have to balance in functionality and cost.

Record Eps and probably dura ace di2 are out because of cost.

I've got my eye on super record or ultegra di2 mostly. Maybe red, but it looks like they haven't made advancements as quickly as the other two.

Any opinions on Udi2 vs SR? I've never used campy and I've also never used electro shifting.

Approximately how much weght would I gain or lose over my current setup.

I am a little off put that Ultegra is all aliminum, where SR looks and probably feels better with carbon, particularly the crank.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

teufelhunden222

by teufelhunden222

2013 Sram RED with Specialized S-works crank, or the DA-9000 with the S-works crank.
[img]<iframe%20height='160'%20width='300'%20frameborder='0'%20allowtransparency='true'%20scrolling='no'%20src='http://app.strava.com/athletes/1677950/activity-summary/ddf436fc1ca509b20d4637cfa80c928da771d2c6'></iframe>[/img]

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

The SR is an excellent mechanical gruppo -- also lighter than the UDI2. Switching from SRAM however, you will have to replace your freehub.

mann2

by mann2

non electronic Dura Ace 9000 gets my vote. haven't seen a bad review anywhere.

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

Changing a freehub isn't too big of a process is it? I haven't put in a cassette yet, not that that matters

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Depends on what wheels you have. Most, short of DT240's, cannot simply have their freebody swapped over.

Do some reading on here, there are many, many topics covering what you're looking for answers to :thumbup:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I think the best combination is Record 11 speed with a chorus 11 speed cassette as record cassettes are very exepnsive. I really can't see the justification for SR especially the cassettes except for top level racer. Every time you ride you'll end up thinking that just cost me.

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

Haha... I bought a SR Cassette and think exactly that.

tinozee

by tinozee

That's funny I think that about restaurant food. That dumb steak and wine just cost me 1/3 of a DA cassette haha. I never regret getting top of line parts, only mid range parts that make me want to upgrade. I end up thinking "this could be lighter and I'm going to spend even more since I didn't do it right the first time".

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I wuold not call chorus mid range! the weight saving for record 11 or SR 11 cassette is small.

Dozer

by Dozer

Here's a different option to think about - a 1x11 would be the lightest option depending on components you choose. This is a WW forum, afterall.

Last summer I built up a whole new bike and I went with D-A because I wanted 180mm cranks with 50/34 compact gears. If I known then what I do now, I would be looking very, very hard at a 1x11 set up. The gearing range could be plenty wide for me and with enough gears so as not to have any large gaps.

Given SRAM lanched XX1 for mountain bikes, I suspect a similar tech 1x11 for road bikes will be out soon. If you don't have to upgrade now, you might wait for that option.

Given todays components, I'd do Campy (S-R, R or Chorus) 11 speed on the rear (cassette, deraileur, and shifter) then Specialized S-Works or Lightning carbon cranks up front. I'd then I'd make a light chain guide for up front. I'm not sure what options there are for a light brake only lever.

What gear ranges do you need? What are you running now?

ticou

by ticou

Chorus with a few Cults here and there. The cassette lasts longer than the SR, so it's a non brainer. It's not stamped metal, it's not agricutural.

Geoff

by Geoff

The EPS Record group is fabulous. If you can swing it, you should go for it.

Personally, I like it better than Di2 (which I was really worried would not be possible, because Di2 is unreal. Damn Shimano). The Campagnolo controls are better and the fit and finish of Campagnolo carries-over from all of the 'manual' groups. Also, while e 7900 version of the SRM is really nice, the SRM for Record is a piece of art.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

You must be comparing EPS to the first gen Di2. From what I hear, the revised one is even better and much faster

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com