Dura Ace 9000 - ETA late 2012/early 2013

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Guerdi

by Guerdi

Hopefully those new polymer cables are going to be compatible with older shimano stuff.

I say that because the cable's head is somewhat different from the normal one.

Here's how it looks like :

[post edited for grammar]
Attachments
shimano9000_polymer_cable.jpg
Last edited by Guerdi on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

n1klass

by n1klass

Just got a call from my LBS saying that my 9070 is avaiable for pickup tomorrow. To bad the frame I'm putting it on is arriving in 10 weeks...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

atxfireman

by atxfireman

n1klass wrote:Just got a call from my LBS saying that my 9070 is avaiable for pickup tomorrow. To bad the frame I'm putting it on is arriving in 10 weeks...

I'm happy for you that your group is available. Too bad you don't have your frame to put it on. I'm in the opposite position. My new Specialized S-Works SL4 frame has been sitting in the storeroom at my LBS, for a month, waiting for the DI2 group to arrive. Rumors are flying. A couple of weeks ago, the local Shimano rep said by mid-February. Now I'm hearing, in forums and other locations, it might be mid-March. I keep hoping for the best. :cry:

jonnyBgood

by jonnyBgood

I have had the 9000 crankset for about a month and LOVE it. Everything else is 7900.

I would really like to get the whole group but don't want to buy new wheels as well.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Latest I've seen is that it is officially approved for 7900, 6700, 980, 780, I think some others. Possibly 105 and SLX... This is derailleurs only. on brakes, without concessions for the very slick coating, the cable can pull through the pinch bolt assembly. Kind of like Powercordz.
May-ish for shift and brake cables.

KLabs

by KLabs

jonnyBgood wrote:I have had the 9000 crankset for about a month and LOVE it. Everything else is 7900.

I would really like to get the whole group but don't want to buy new wheels as well.

Hi jonnyBgood, apparently the 9000 group will work perfectly with a 10spd cassette ...

Doolop

by Doolop

KLabs wrote:
jonnyBgood wrote:I have had the 9000 crankset for about a month and LOVE it. Everything else is 7900.

Hi jonnyBgood, apparently the 9000 group will work perfectly with a 10spd cassette ...

This is not true. It works -okay- at best. I have tried it thoroughly. Don't buy 11sp shifters and derailleurs and expect them to work great on a 10 speed cassette!

ave

by ave

You could use 11sp spacers instead of the 10sp ones. Of course the top 5 cogs would work a bit worse than perfect. Some machining would be neccessary on their carriers as well to get the best result, but I'd defenetely try it with a CS-6700, where it is only 3 cogs that are groupped together. Too bad for the extra weight.

mann2

by mann2

speaking of the cables, i found that the outer coating of my shifter cable seems to fray easily. i had mine disassembled a maximum of three times and you can see the coating fray. not the individual cables but only the coating. doesn't affect performance but it doesnt look neat.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Put a lighter to the frayed part to clean it up a bit.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

I thought this was different from the typical ptfe coating on the new shift cables. I had issues with the Gore cable coatings gunking up inside. Cables were starting to stick after a few months.

motd2k

by motd2k

Got my 9070 group arriving tomorrow - can't wait to give it a go! Has anyone heard anything about Chris King R45 mods for 11-speed?

atxfireman

by atxfireman

My LBS told me yesterday they have an ETA of Feb 21 for my 9070. I hope that's true.

Hubert

by Hubert

Guerdi wrote:Hopefully those new polymer cables are going to be compatible with older shimano stuff.

I say that because the cable's head is somewhat different from the normal one.

Here's how it looks like :

[post edited for grammar]

New BC 9000 brake cables are NOT backwards compatible. The older pinch bolts aren't up to the task.

New shift cables are backward compatible, but you should check the tautness of the cable after initial installation.

Fraying on the shift cable will not affect shift performance.
Turn down the suck knob.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Guerdi

by Guerdi

Thanks Hubert, that's exactly what I wanted to know.