Brake shoot out...what to get?...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

4crosswheels

by 4crosswheels

Well I have some alternates... Ultegra,Planet x cnc ones.. and KCNC either models.
What do you suggest...i weigh 77kg and ride pretty hard, I like the planet x ones from experience with
the swiss stop pads.
Ultegra's weigh lots more and KCNC ones are reportedly flexy.
ideas...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Ultegra would have the best braking.....the rest are all different amounts and types of compromise. I have had Ultegra and three different lightweight brakes (ciamillo and kcnc) and I always put the Ultegra's back on.....they just work, perfectly, all the time.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtop ... 104&t=7582

http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtop ... 104&t=5620

In my experience, EE brakes are every bit as good or better than Red on my Reynolds Assault / Attack clinchers and Reynolds blue pads. I'm within a couple of kilos to your weight.

Pads are an integral part of braking. My experience with the first-gen (maybe the only gen?) of Zipp Tangente cork pads was scary - they neutered my Red brakes that otherwise are a top performer in tests and exceed for me with Reynolds blue pads.

gpeterson63

by gpeterson63

Johnny Rad wrote:In my experience, EE brakes are every bit as good or better than Red on my Reynolds Assault / Attack clinchers and Reynolds blue pads. I'm within a couple of kilos to your weight.

But, EE brakes at over $600 are nowhere near the same league as the Ultegra, KCNC, and Planet X brakes at ~$150-250.

I've only used Ultegra's out of that lot but like mentioned before, they just work. They are definitely heavy but provide good stopping power and modulation. I've heard the same thing about KCNC brakes but I've been wanting to try out those Planet X brakes (or the same brakes under various names). The only issue I have with them is the design of the QR. Seems like a pain in the ***.

thprice

by thprice

My weight is similar to yours.
I first went with Planet-X, but a PITA to keep correctly adjusted. They may be OK on the flats but I was not confident on some long steep alpine descents.
Changed to KCNC C7's. Very happy with dual pivot, not going back to single pivot.
Note: I understand the earlier KCNC CB1s were flexy, but the C7s are OK for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

+1 for Mr. Tompkins above. And Ultegra can be lightened up a decent amount with a little tuning - Ti bolts and new pad holders. Or stick within the family and go DA-7900.