Finally the rim I've been waiting to talk about.Pacenti SL23

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Kraaf wrote:And while making aero-predictions is a bit like astrology, having a flush tire-rim interface does appear to be a smart thing to do. It seems to be a key factor in gettting low-profile rims reasonably aerodynamic.

Based on the evolution of rim shapes and recent tests, I'd wager that these rims have low drag and good cross-wind stability performance... as in the best of aluminum rims... with the XC279 also in the running.
formerly rruff...

Phill P

by Phill P

really like the specs of this rim!
Is there a website for Pacenti?

1420grams with 20/24 spokes-nice!

When will the new Alchemy hubs be available??? Seems an age since details were released
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

steel515

by steel515

Phill P wrote:really like the specs of this rim!
Is there a website for Pacenti?

1420grams with 20/24 spokes-nice!

When will the new Alchemy hubs be available??? Seems an age since details were released

Why 24mm? I have Dyad& I think its too wide, maybe 28mm tire minimum.

Phill P

by Phill P

why hit the quote button when you could just hit the reply button? Specially when you replay had nothing to do with my quote.....

There is a lot you could read about on wide rims.
1) they change the shape of the tire making for better contact patch for cornering. Also the tire holds its shape better so no noddling at lower pressures.
2) larger air volume so you can run lower pressure allowing better ride
3) the rim is about the same width as the tire side wall which in theory improves air flow off the tire and arounf the rim. Idea it is better than the light bulb shape 23mm tires have on 19mm wide rims.
4) wider rims are stiffer allowing a lower spoke count (but the extra width means more material so a bit heavier)

The reason there are more and more wide rims is because people realise they like them. End of story
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

ergott

by ergott

steel515 wrote:
Why 24mm? I have Dyad& I think its too wide, maybe 28mm tire minimum.

I'm currently using 23mm Michelins with no problems. The ride is great.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

LouisN

by LouisN

I would like to see a Pacenti tubular rim that would be similar to the SL23 in terms of general shape.

But I'm not really positive a wide tubular rim has the same purpose as a clincher rim. I would see the tubular version not as wide, to allow for road use mainly. Or the bead shape would have to be road oriented.
NOT like the Major Tom. If I compare with the Velocity shape, lots of people like the A23 clincher, but the same shape in tubular is not really mad efor 23 mm tire. You have to use 25-28 mm tires for a perfect bond and shape.
We saw bulky tubular rims appear on the market, mostly to win some wind tunnel side wind drag contests (IMHO).
The comfort issue is not relevant in regards to rim width with a tubular rim. Different story with clincher rims and tires...
The shape of the rims would act as a deflector, and at the same time, would mold perfectly with the shape of the tubular tire glued, and inserted in the bead.
With an alloy rim, I'd be curious to know what rim shape would be the optimum, for weight savings, strenght, some aero benefits, and best for road use, mainly with some 22-24mm tubulars.

The SL23 shure would be a nice template to start with. If we transfer te Kinlin comparable weights, maybe Pacenti can come close to 400-415 g per rim. Would be super. I'd certainly buy a pair.

Louis :)

teleguy57

by teleguy57

LouisN wrote:I would like to see a Pacenti tubular rim that would be similar to the SL23 in terms of general shape.... The SL23 shure would be a nice template to start with. Would be super. I'd certainly buy a pair.

+10

jooo

by jooo

The rim seems to have great expectations, which will almost certainly be met if the finish/good reviews of the MTB rims are anything to go by.

For those wanting a classic build, the PL23 should also be a great alternative to the H Plus Son TB14.

Phill P wrote:Is there a website for Pacenti?

http://www.bikelugs.com

ergott

by ergott

If the demand is there, I bet a tubular will be there as well. By demand, we are talking several hundred sets of wheels to warrant a new rim to be drawn.

winky

by winky

The Pacenti SL23 rim actually has a 24mm outside width. So, I wonder how the number 23 got snuck into the name of the rim. Also, if the outside width is 24mm, then the rim is optimised for a 24mm clincher tire. And there is only 23mm and 25mm tires available.

ergott

by ergott

The name SL23 is because the rim is aerodynamically optimized for 23mm tires 8) Okay, I made that up, but it sounded good.

The rim is indeed 24mm and my 23mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance tires are flush with the brake track at their widest part.

drchull

by drchull

The Vittoria Roubaix tires are 24mm. Also there is a lot of variability in the size of what is marked 23 or 25 and the different rim shape will affect the measurement anyway.

LouisN

by LouisN

And to add to the mix: There is casing size, and tire volume. For example, Specialized put a "rolling surface compound" on a 23mm casing, but the tire volume is 25mm. I think they call them 23/25.

winky

by winky

Yeah, but if you use a noticeably smaller tire width than the rim width, then you have a lot greater chance of rolling the tire and it popping off when you are really cornering hard.

bricky21

by bricky21

Where does the idea that a 24mm rim means a 24mm tire is optimal come from? Optimal for what?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com