Ciamillo Gravitas crank, review and poll

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What are the 2 most important things for you on a crank ?

-Design + stiffness
9%
-Design + weight
15%
-Design + price
5%
-Stiffness + weight
44%
-Stiffness + price
9%
-Weight + price
18%

Total votes: 159

lewolive

by lewolive

MagnusH wrote:
lewolive wrote:My prototype is in 175mm (392g)

Just to be sure: is the 392 grams for crankarms, spindle and spider?

Yes, these 392g include crankarms, the 2 half spindles attached to the arms, and the spider.

I'm sure that the process is authorizing weight improvements within the next few months to satisfy both competitors and weightweenies !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lechat

by lechat

I doubt anyone could discern a few grams difference in arm weight. If so, you'd be better served with lighter pedals and/or shoes.

lewolive

by lewolive

lechat wrote:I doubt anyone could discern a few grams difference in arm weight. If so, you'd be better served with lighter pedals and/or shoes.

I believe that most of the users of this crank will be also users of light pedals and shoes. My personal choice will be custom shoes and speedplay Ti.

We'll make some measures to evaluate where the difference of weight is located on the Ciamillo crank, but I'm sure it's mainly on the arms.

Since we are speaking about 20-50g less per arm, that would be also stiffer, I can say that each rider that is riding at least twice a week will be able to feel the difference.

lewolive

by lewolive

Shipping has just started yesterday !

Weightweenies will be happy to know that Ted has made a custom version of the crank in BB24 and 110/170 with 2 tubes instead of 3, and the final weight is about 360g !
The weight of the Clavicula is closer and closer !

My prototype has now 650 kilometers. The stiffness of the arms is still there and I'm very impatient to compete with a such efficient product.
Since the measures of the prototype are not perfect and I had to add specific spacers, Ted has prepared for me a second crank that will fit my Cervelo S5 (BBRight).

Despite the crank is already available for retail , we are working hard to imagine new improvements that will make the product better again , especially on the weight and aero. The margins in terms of stiffness are so large that we can imagine to have a version that will break the challenge of the lightest crankset in the world (crank + chainrings).

For septic people, Ted is also going to certify the product by official labs in GA.

corky

by corky

Septic?

1415chris

by 1415chris

For some people this crank can cause a problem with nitric oxide management, whatever the reason :D

lewolive

by lewolive

corky wrote:Septic?

Sorry my english is not good ! It's a medical term in english, that has nothing to do with what I was meaning...
I was meaning for people who may not be convinced by the quality of the product, Ted is going to certify the product.

As a competitor, I'll start the season race with the Ciamillo crank because I feel it really more efficient that the other cranks that I'm using (Rotor 3D+ and 3 D Flow currently).

djconnel

by djconnel

lewolive wrote:Shipping has just started yesterday !

Weightweenies will be happy to know that Ted has made a custom version of the crank in BB24 and 110/170 with 2 tubes instead of 3, and the final weight is about 360g !

The outer two, obviously, with a big gap between.

runner999

by runner999

If, if the crank proves to have enough stiffness with only 2 carbon tubes per arm. I'm thinking that the 2 carbon tubes could be closer together so only 2 securing pins would be needed versus 4 with the current 3 tube design. But doing so would also require different spindle base and pedal end peices. This would reduce weight, machining and some material costs in the total assembly.

runner999

by runner999

The other idea I had in regards to covering the tubes would be to use owner replaceable clear Lexan covers. Thin Lexan weights virtually nothing and is pretty tough stuff. Taking a page out of the RC car world, that would open up the possibility of getting custom painted covers to match your bike's paint scheme, team sponsors and bike manufacturing logos. Possibilities are endless.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

lewolive wrote:...Ted has made a custom version of the crank in BB24 and 110/170 with 2 tubes instead of 3...

Pics (preferably on a bike)?

revpower

by revpower

So which product will be realese by Ted? the tow tubes or three?
Is Ted starting to send the crank to the buyer?
I wanna know this because i purchase the crank, but it is hard to get a reply email from Ted.

natiedean24

by natiedean24

I want it built with one tube instead of three. That would save weight.

Epic-o

by Epic-o

natiedean24 wrote:I want it built with one tube instead of three. That would save weight.

:idea: :idea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

Geesh -- this forum has truly gone down the tubes, and I'm not talking the tubes on this crank. Not only do few of the threads actually discuss weight, but those that do get ridiculed....

The two tube version was specifically stated to be a prototype for light riders. The main version would be 3-tube.

If the interface with the caps is infinitely stiff, then the two-tube version would essentially have the same stiffness in the direction of pedaling, but 2/3 the stiffness perpendicular to the direction of pedaling. If the tubes are able to slide freely within the cap, then the stiffness in the direction of pedaling would be only 2/3 as much with 2 tubes as 3. My guess is at 57 kg I'd not notice the difference.