SRAM XX1 XG1199 11 Speed 10-42T Cassette

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi All, SRAM have released a XX1 XG1199 11 Speed 10-42T MTB Cassette and its for sale here ... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=91007 and http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=91023 ... does anybody know much about SRAM new 11spd cassette and RD to go with it :-)

I know this is a MTB cassette but is SRAM intending to do something similar with their road cassette ...

PS: Here's a bit of info on the RD ...
SRAM XX1 11 Speed Rear Mech Technologies:
- X-Actuation - Designed specifically for SRAM XX1, X-Actuation keeps shifting sharp and consistent across the entire 10-42T cassette.
- X-Sync - A "wide tooth, narrow tooth" pattern is repeated around the pulley wheel, perfectly mirroring the chain's inner and outer links for maximum control.
- Cage Lock - With Cage Lock, wheel removal and installation - becomes faster and simpler. Just pushing the cage forward to create slack and lock it into place.
- Roller Bearing Clutch - Roller bearing clutch technology eliminates derailleur bounce and chain slap without sacrificing precision.
- X-Horizon - Straight parallelogram design limits all movement to the horizontal axis, which makes ghost shifting impossible while also reducing shift force. For quicker, more exact shifting, the large upper pulley offset design maintains a constant chain gap across all gears.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

This is slightly off topic, but I'm intrigued how that shop can have a cassette for XX1 in stock but the derailleur isn't available until the end of April? :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

If you'd dealt with SRAMs distribution in the UK you might not be too surprised.

To the OP, I've seen it (the cassette) and it looks mental. Beyond that I can't help :P

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Wait till Sea Otter ;) that's all I can say.

cerro

by cerro

If I remember right Ryan Trebon was testing some new things from Sram so maybe

KLabs

by KLabs

42t sprocket is huge and it can apparently be as large as 44T. With a sprocket that large there should not be an issue with the RD cage striking the spokes ...

So one could run 10-44T cassette with 44/46T crankring for a road setup, although the largest crankring for the MTB setup is 38T :-)

djconnel

by djconnel

KLabs wrote:42t sprocket is huge and it can apparently be as large as 44T. With a sprocket that large there should not be an issue with the RD cage striking the spokes ...

So one could run 10-44T cassette with 44/46T crankring for a road setup, although the largest crankring for the MTB setup is 38T :-)

10 instead of 11 saves 5 teeth from the front, 10 instead of 12 saves 9 teeth from the front. So if I feel the need for 53/12, for example, I can drop to 44/10 at the same ratio. Meanwhile 44/42 is the same as 34/32 so the 10-44 gives the same range as a 34-53/12-32. That's hugh. Only issue is the jumps, for example: 10-12-14-16-18- 21-24-27-31-36-42 would work well, I think: big top end gear just for descents, then decent spacing through the cruising gears, then bail out gears at the bottom end. These aren't racing ratios but would work well for Gran Fondo type riding.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

djconnel wrote:
KLabs wrote:42t sprocket is huge and it can apparently be as large as 44T. With a sprocket that large there should not be an issue with the RD cage striking the spokes ...

10 instead of 11 saves 5 teeth from the front, 10 instead of 12 saves 9 teeth from the front. So if I feel the need for 53/12, for example, I can drop to 44/10 at the same ratio. Meanwhile 44/42 is the same as 34/32 so the 10-44 gives the same range as a 34-53/12-32. That's hugh. Only issue is the jumps, for example: 10-12-14-16-18- 21-24-27-31-36-42 would work well, I think: big top end gear just for descents, then decent spacing through the cruising gears, then bail out gears at the bottom end. These aren't racing ratios but would work well for Gran Fondo type riding.

Problem is the chain is designed to work exclusively with a single ring. Unless the SRAM 11 speed chain is the same dimensions as Campag or Shimano it's going to be a non-starter. Then you have the issue of chain wrap if you have a double chainring setup. (44-34)+(42-10)=42T difference, whereas a regular compact needs (50-34)+(32-11)=36T . That's a lot of chain to accommodate necessitating a monster cage, not to mention the monumental gaps you comment on. Plus where are you going to find a mech to use?

MagnusH

by MagnusH

@ultimobici:
djconnel is suggesting a single chainring (44T) combined with a 10-42 cassette.

winky

by winky

stephen@fibre-lyte wrote:This is slightly off topic, but I'm intrigued how that shop can have a cassette for XX1 in stock but the derailleur isn't available until the end of April? :noidea:

Maybe so that the cyclocross racers can buy the new 11 speed Dura-Ace drivetrains for use with their new 135mm rear spaced fancy disc brake frames. And since Shimano doesn't make a 135mm cassette, road or mtn, that is compatible with 11 speeds, then these cyclocross racers can also just buy the 135mm SRAM XX1 hub and cassette.

In summary:
135mm disc-brake compatible frame + 135mm SRAM XX1 hub & cassette + 11 speed Dura-Ace drivetrain

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

MagnusH wrote:@ultimobici:
djconnel is suggesting a single chainring (44T) combined with a 10-42 cassette.

doh!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I also received a few hints that sram is working on 11 speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Would that be of the cable, hydraulic, or electronic persuasion(s)?

KLabs

by KLabs

The XX1 reviews show cable actuation ... it would be excellent for Grand Fondos and Touring, and theoretically requires less maintenance and appears to be more durable and overall lighter :-)

NS

by NS

If the derailleur isn't available until April the one I have just fitted to my stumpjumper must be an imposter!

That's like saying you can't sell a pair of gloves if you don't have the matching hat?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com