pc7 like mount for Garmin 500?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Just ordered the revised version from Design cycles:

Paul.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rippin

by Rippin

Tate Labs has released the BarFly version 1.1.
1/8th turn lock, computer sits slightly lower, and the price has been lowered to $25:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/01/07/bar-fly-1-1-garmin-cycling-computer-mount-updated/
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

It also allows positioning straight or 90degrees from normal, to allow you to use whatever other garmin that shares the mount but not the orientation.

andylav

by andylav

Rippin wrote:Tate Labs has released the BarFly version 1.1.
1/8th turn lock, computer sits slightly lower, and the price has been lowered to $25:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/01/07/bar-fly-1-1-garmin-cycling-computer-mount-updated/

Definitely an attractive price and an improvement on the original design but this Barfly; the revised Design Cycles mount; and the SRAM mount all have the same basic problem for me in that by moving to accommodate all Garmin options with one standard mount, they position a Garmin 500 much further out from the stem face plate than I prefer.

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Got my 2 barfly mounts for my Edge800 today via mail.
Like them!
USD45,- incl shipping for 2 ;-) Via Ebay (new).

Mounted them on the MTB and the C59... fits nice and feels solid!

100 points.
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

aaric

by aaric

I've recently received my mount from tillquist: I ordered the FSA plasma mount and put it on my Pro Stealth EVO integrated bars - works great.

In comparison to the racewaredirect mount, it is far superior: lighter, smaller, and holds the garmin better.

The RWD version is loose, and rattles unless I use one of my daughters' rubber hair bands around the base, which makes the garmin difficult to remove. (I've tried it with 3 different garmins, and none of my other mounts have this issue)

I contacted Martyn about my issues, and he volunteered to replace it with a new mount when he got more of them in, but I haven't heard anything in a month or so. (edit - please note that Martyn has contacted me, and is shipping out a replacement mount today.)

Only downside I see with the tillquist version is that it's CNC'd silver, slightly more expensive, and I need to paint it black to match the bike.
Last edited by aaric on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dmp

by dmp

I got the older Design Cycles mount a few months ago for my Edge 500. Limited time on the road, but it works great so far. Positive engagement (not as pronounced a click as with the Gramin brand, however), very solid, no vibration and excellent positioning. All I need now are bifocal lenses for my cycling glasses (I'm getting very presbyopic) and I am all set!

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I just got a Barfly for $20 from MEC. I'm actually a little dissapointed.

With the standard Garmin mount, there is a definite "click" when the Garmin is positioned properly. But with the Barfly, it never clicks although it is secure. As a result, I find myself constantly looking down to see if it is straight or not.

Is K edge, Sram or Garmins barfly mount any better? Or any idea on how I could tune mine to click straight?

Roark

by Roark

Any pictures of how an EDGE 500 looks on the new Garmin mount? Does it sit flush with and close to the stem like the RWD does?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Ghost234, it's as safe as houses.

Might be missing the forest for the trees by wanting a 'click' :noidea:

Run300

by Run300

I've had no issues with my Fliploc. Super fast shipping.

Only concern was placing it over the bars since you have to really open it wide. Once I decided it wasn't going to break it slipped right over with no problems.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Ordered my RWD mount a few days ago, I notice from a few photos that the clamp/appearance is ridged, has anyone sanded theres down smooth? also, is the bolt replacable with a nylon or alu one?

drmutley

by drmutley

A suggestion for Martyn @ RWD:
How about doing a simple bar and stem mount for the GoPro? U will make a killing providing an alternative to the Kedge thing!

RaceWareDirect
in the industry

by RaceWareDirect

drmutley wrote:A suggestion for Martyn @ RWD:
How about doing a simple bar and stem mount for the GoPro? U will make a killing providing an alternative to the Kedge thing!

We already have a gopro bar and seat rail mount designed. You can see a picture on the front page of our website. Final testing is being done today so all being well they will be for sale in around 2 weeks.

Martyn
2011 Track Masters World Champion
Cervelo T3
Colnago CX-1
S works shiv
Specialized Tarmac SL5 Di2
Specialized epic comp

drmutley

by drmutley

RaceWareDirect wrote:
drmutley wrote:A suggestion for Martyn @ RWD:

We already have a gopro bar and seat rail mount designed. You can see a picture on the front page of our website. Final testing is being done today so all being well they will be for sale in around 2 weeks.

Martyn

haha I should've checked! Well done! :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com