On the road today...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ave

by ave

kasparz, but that's not 2kg of fat. Muscle too, me thinks. Or some extra blood. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bJay

by bJay

Slowly getting back on the bike after my crash.

B
a riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in lycra

Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.
Albert Einstein

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

bJay wrote:Slowly getting back on the bike after my crash.¡

Almost 4 weeks ago I broke my collarbone due to a "mothertrucker" that pushed me and my cycling buddy of the road. I am afraid I have to wait at least 3-4 weeks more before I can think of slowly riding again (also I need a new bike, as my old one is damaged).

bJay

by bJay

My friendly car driver turned right across traffic and t-boned me. I got thrown 10 feet and ended up on the footpath down the road she was turning down. Bike was snapped in 3 places, broken nose, teeth knocked out of alignment (one died), separated AC joint, damage to the rotator cuff (these two are the most annoying because I can't play water polo at the moment) and stitches in my lips and nose. It took me 4 weeks to be able to eat solid foods (teeth were too loose to chew, and face was swollen). Helmet saved my life. This happened the week before Christmas.

I pretty much used my face to go from 45 kmph to 0 - brake blocks work better :D

She got a $300 (AUD) fine and 2 demerit points.

B

PS.
I'm not trying to complain; it could have been so much worse. The emergency doctors and paramedics were fantastic. I'm grateful because my predominantly soft tissue injuries will heal and I know so many other riders are not as fortunate.
a riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in lycra

Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.
Albert Einstein

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

bJay wrote:My friendly car driver turned right across traffic and t-boned me. I got thrown 10 feet and ended up on the footpath down the road she was turning down. Bike was snapped in 3 places, broken nose, teeth knocked out of alignment (one died), separated AC joint, damage to the rotator cuff (these two are the most annoying because I can't play water polo at the moment) and stitches in my lips and nose. It took me 4 weeks to be able to eat solid foods (teeth were too loose to chew, and face was swollen). Helmet saved my life. This happened the week before Christmas.

I pretty much used my face to go from 45 kmph to 0 - brake blocks work better :D

She got a $300 (AUD) fine and 2 demerit points.

B

PS.
I'm not trying to complain; it could have been so much worse. The emergency doctors and paramedics were fantastic. I'm grateful because my predominantly soft tissue injuries will heal and I know so many other riders are not as fortunate.

Wow, brrrr.. sounds horrid, and 45Kmph... damn, I went down with approx. 36Kmph.... so I can imagine.

Time will tell if for you physically everything will heal properly (I know I will have days in the future were the collarbone will hurt or irritate), but mentally you have no problems I assume since you are picking up cycling again? as many people will not think about cycling again after a huge crash.

I have a "traffic-specialized" lawyer here in Spain who is working for me to get my damage refunded and additional compensation (no cure no pay for him :lol: ). Also I will buy a GoPro as a "dash cam" so if it happens again I have a form of "proof" (also to analyze my rides and how traffic behaves). Luckily when I had my accident I was with a friend and we had a witness.
Also I am not complaining as I see this as an opportunity to get better gear without paying for it myself :lol:

djm

by djm

Guerdi wrote:Cold weather anyone ?

How about our two first hours of riding yesterday, it was never warmer than -15°C. Out with aerozy for some good winter biking! :-)

Temp hit bottom -18°C which I have to say is a tad cold for road cycling. Our rest stop at a roadside MickeyD's was pretty long and we all considered heating our clothing in the available microwave oven..

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

djm,

What type of gloves/mittens do you wear in such conditions? A "tad" cold for road cycling sounds a "tad" of an understatement.

djm

by djm

HT2: You could be right about it being an understatement, but I got home in one piece and it thawed up slightly to a balmy -5 on the last couple of hours ;-)

I wear lobster style gloves with small single use chemical heating bags inside. They give off just that little bit of heat to make it bearable. I need to replace my lobster gloves though, and I will get some one size bigger and then wear thin wool liner gloves inside the lobster gloves for added insulation. Getting some lobster gloves with Primaloft insulation, I think my current ones use "Hipora".

Dodger747

by Dodger747

Suffering in Gran Canaria a few days ago...

VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
W/kg - 4.9

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

great shot man,you can really get a sense of pain!

kavitator

by kavitator

perfect weather here

6to

by 6to

Dodger747 wrote:Suffering in Gran Canaria a few days ago...

where exactly is that road?
I'm from Gran Canaria and don't know that road... :o

djm

by djm

My guess is the road from San Nicolas towards the two dams, this being just below one of them..? Hmm..

Dodger747

by Dodger747

6to wrote:
Dodger747 wrote:Suffering in Gran Canaria a few days ago...

where exactly is that road?
I'm from Gran Canaria and don't know that road... :o

Just checked my GPS route for that day, we left San Nicholas heading east towards Artenara, it appears to be near Presa Caidero de la Nina. I suffered like a dog all day that day! Here's MY GARMIN CONNECT of the entire route to help :)
VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
W/kg - 4.9

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Did a 6hr ride out to Big Basin State Park and back. Wasted.

2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon