DIY Di2 looking for my own connectors to replace Shimano. An

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bartturner

by bartturner

In hacking Di2 both Ultegra and Dura Ace 7970 I have found a need to have my own connectors. I have just hardwired the first project with Ultegra Di2. But this is very inflexible and instead want to have my own connectors on my next project. This way I can disconnect things like the aero bars.

Right now I need a couple of three pin connectors both female and male for my 7970 setup. Ideally they would be waterproof but I can "waterproof" regular connectors. Looking for something that are small and inexpensive. Curious if anyone knows of anything out there before I just try to find something on my own.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bartturner

by bartturner

Thinking about it this afternoon I am thinking that I might use regular phone plugs. Either 2.5mm or 3.5mm. These are standard and would give me three wires. Did some searching for waterproof ones and did not find anything easily. But I can just shrinkwrap over the connector.

I was thinking of just soldering on a male connector to Cat Eye switches, male connector on aero bar shifters and then using an off the shelve splitter and splicing the male part of the splitter onto the Di2 front harness.

This is simple, inexpensive, etc. This approach will also make it easy to fish the wire with the connector through the bars.

Thoughts?

aaric

by aaric

How about stereo mini jacks (1/8" headphone plug)? Should have right, left, and ground. I'd wager you could find a waterproof version that screws together.

Dammit

by Dammit

^Yep, this sort of thing:

bonafide

by bonafide

bartturner.....Would you please let me know how this works out? I am building a dual purpose bike road race/tri/tt with di-2 and would like to be able to easily disconnect the connections for aerobar shifters.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bonafide

by bonafide

These connectors will be a bit too large to hide in bar rap for aero bar shifting disconnect

Dammit wrote:^Yep, this sort of thing: